FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Problem With Bandwith

Cephalic_Carnage
Last month, my account was suspeneded because my acccount hit 10GB a few days into January. Bondings told me there was an abnormality in my account. My current bandwith is 6.8722, so it is already more then half way to 10GB. Is there any way to keep it from going up so fast?
wumingsden
Cephalic_Carnage wrote:
Last month, my account was suspeneded because my acccount hit 10GB a few days into January. Bondings told me there was an abnormality in my account. My current bandwith is 6.8722, so it is already more then half way to 10GB. Is there any way to keep it from going up so fast?

Are your pages php? If so, maybe gzhandler will help? This reduces page load greatly.
Cephalic_Carnage
Yes, they are php. And now my Bandwith just jumped to 82%.
mOrpheuS
Cephalic_Carnage wrote:

Shocked
It would take a gazillion impressions of ordinary php pages to add up to that much of data transfer !
Are you sure it's just php pages, and not something heftier like heavy graphics, media etc that might be contributing to this bandwidth runoff ?

This definitely doesn't sound normal ...
wumingsden
Do you think it's possible that the problem comes from www.boards.*yourdomain*.frih.net ?

We know that the software is dodgy, so maybe this is just another additional problem with it Rolling Eyes
SpellcasterDX
wumingsden wrote:
Do you think it's possible that the problem comes from www.boards.*yourdomain*.frih.net ?

We know that the software is dodgy, so maybe this is just another additional problem with it Rolling Eyes

When I checked my bandwith, it always shows Apache as using the most bandwith out of anything...but why? It uses 1.4GB one day, 990MB another day, 2.3 GB...etc etc..

Why does Apache burn up the bandwith? And this is weird. It happened to me, too, in December I believe. By the way, I run the same forum software as him, but my boards don't have any abnormalities. Shocked
wumingsden
SpellcasterDX wrote:
wumingsden wrote:

When I checked my bandwith, it always shows Apache as using the most bandwith out of anything...but why? It uses 1.4GB one day, 990MB another day, 2.3 GB...etc etc..

Why does Apache burn up the bandwith? And this is weird. It happened to me, too, in December I believe. By the way, I run the same forum software as him, but my boards don't have any abnormalities. Shocked

Well, neither does his board I think. But if your suffering the same effects as him with your bandwidth, and your using the same software as he is, then it's a very buig coincidence if the forum software is not causing the problems.
Animal
SpellcasterDX wrote:
Why does Apache burn up the bandwith?

Apache is the HTTP server - this means that the bandwidth is being used by a large amount of HTTP requests - this could point to a problem like automated pages being stuck in a loop, or having loads of registrations etc on your forums.

This isn't a problem with Apache itself - if it was a problem on your account, it would be a problem on everyone's account. It is highly probable that the problem is with the software you are using as wummingsden has suggested.
wumingsden
Animal wrote:
[...] highly probable that the problem is with the software you are using as wummingsden has suggested.....

..... So, you should remove it and then see if the situation changes. When I speak to Bondings I'm going to recommend that specific forum software being banned, if I remember to. Not only does the software send out spam emails, it seems that there's also now a problem with bandwidth now.