FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Beryl

carlospro7
Anyone here have beryl installed? I tried using it but my graphics card, for some reason, can't support it. Can you share any difficulties that you have run into when getting it to work and stuff? and what you like and/or dislike about it? and any other thoughts?
ezekiel_rage
carlospro7 wrote:
Anyone here have beryl installed? I tried using it but my graphics card, for some reason, can't support it. Can you share any difficulties that you have run into when getting it to work and stuff? and what you like and/or dislike about it? and any other thoughts?

Beryl and compiz requires graphics cards that support hardware 3D rendering.

What is your Video Card?
What is the linux flavor you are using?

As long as you follow the instructions for your distro, you have the required hardware, and the needed packages installed there should not be any difficulty in installing campiz/beryl and make it work.

The only difficulty i encountered is the long wait for packages to get fetched from the repositories ( internet slowdown)

Compiz and beryl are very nice.

If you prefer the flashier 3d desktop go for beryl.

But in my opinion compiz is much more professional and elegant looking
carlospro7
ezekiel_rage wrote:
carlospro7 wrote:

What is your Video Card?

As long as you follow the instructions for your distro, you have the required hardware, and the needed packages installed there should not be any difficulty in installing campiz/beryl and make it work.

The only difficulty i encountered is the long wait for packages to get fetched from the repositories ( internet slowdown)

My video card is NVIDIA GeForce Go 6150, 256MB shared, and my distro is Fedora Core 6 (x86 version).

I would think that my video card supports hardware 3D rendering, but I honestly don't know. it doesn't seem to be working properly though. First I installed it through the software installer program, and then I tried yum.

I've seen video examples, and I think it would be really cool if I could get it to work.
ezekiel_rage
carlospro7 wrote:
ezekiel_rage wrote:
carlospro7 wrote:

What is your Video Card?

My video card is NVIDIA GeForce Go 6150, 256MB shared, and my distro is Fedora Core 6 (x86 version).

I would think that my video card supports hardware 3D rendering, but I honestly don't know. it doesn't seem to be working properly though. First I installed it through the software installer program, and then I tried yum.

I've seen video examples, and I think it would be really cool if I could get it to work.

Well according to this list http://gentoo-wiki.com/HARDWARE_Video_Card_Support_Under_XGL#nVidia_Cards
your video card is supported with the latest nvidia drivers.
Bery is now included in the extras repository of Fedora. You can try to install beryl.

It depends on what desktop environment you are using.

If you use KDE

In a root terminal run;

Code:
 yum install beryl-kde

If you use gmone

In a root terminal run;

Code:
 yum install beryl-gnome

After you have installed beryl.

You may need to modify /etc/X11/xorg.conf to properly run beryl. Below are the relevant snippets for an nVidia card.

Code:
 Section "Module"
       Load  "dbe"
       Load  "extmod"
       Load  "fbdevhw"
       Load  "glx"
       Load  "record"
       Load  "freetype"
       Load  "type1"
       Load  "GLCore"
       Load  "dri"
 EndSection

Code:
 Section "Screen"
       Option "AllowGLXWithComposite" "True"
       Option "RenderAccel" "True"
       Option "AddARGBGLXVisuals" "True"
 EndSection

Code:
 Section "Extensions"
       Option "Composite" "Enable"
 EndSection

Restart X windows, and then log back in

test if beryl now works fine

run as a normal user beryl-manager

if beryl runs without a problem

you may want to make beryl start automatically.

In GNOME

Run gnome-session-properties and then add beryl-manager to the Startup Programs section. If beryl doesn't start correctly (the beryl splash screen doesn't appear when you log in) it may be necessary to remove the file ~/.gconf/apps/gnome-session/rh/%gconf.xml then simply log out and log back in again

To make Beryl start automatically with KDE, create a script with the following typed in a text editor of your choice

Code:

#!/bin/bash
beryl-manager

then save the file as beryl.sh (or whatever you want to call it) in the directory /home/USERNAME/.kde/Autostart/ (where USERNAME is your username). Remember that .kde is a hidden folder, so you will need to turn on viewing of hidden files/folders, or type in the location manually in the save dialogue.

Finally you need to make beryl.sh executable. To do this just right click on beryl.sh, then properties > Permissions tab > tick Is executable.

Hope this helps
DrZero
I tried Xgl/Compiz in the past on Gentoo, and I thought it was pretty impressive at first. I had to show my family the neat effects, and they were pretty impressed. After a while, I decided that I wasn't going to sacrifice precious computing power for some showy effects Smile and disabled it. Still, it was a fun little experiment for a while. It wasn't as clean looking as Mac OS X, but if you are someone who likes eye candy, it will probably fill that void.
jon9314
get automatix and install the latest nvidia drivers that should help
corey
I have to agree with DrZero. The pretty effects are just that until you modify your behaviour as far as the desktop goes. I found that for the way that I use my machine, having multiple desktops switchable witha pager seem to work for me. Perhaps I'll try to find out how useful Beryl can be sometime down the road. After all it is installed.

By the way, anyone who wants to play around with Beryl (and maybe Compriz) without doing too much to their computer may want to try the latest PCLinuxOS Live CD. It seems to be properly installed and works "out of the box", without any serious configuration issues. If you like what you see, its got one of the best hard drive installers (very fast too) - even better than the one for Mepis.

Just my $0.02
TheGeek
Make sure that you have the Nvidia Linux proprietary drivers installed, not just the ones that come with the linux install, otherwise the hardware acceleration may not work properly.

I had better luck with Compiz than I did with Beryl on my desktop that uses a 7600GT BTW. Just a thought that you might want to try that instead...
carlospro7
so I tried following your instructions ezekiel, and it somewhat works. When I try to use beryl I guess it fails in starting that it sends me back to the KWin manager. Now when I try to use Compiz, the bar at the top of a window disapears and I'm not able to move that window, but it will not switch to the kde manager, so my guess it's just that it doesn't work properly.

I tried doing this with Fedora Core 6, but I'm about to switch distros, and I'm trying a couple, one of them being gentoo, but I don't know if that'll make a difference. nonetheless I just want to try a different distro.
ezekiel_rage
carlospro7 wrote:
so I tried following your instructions ezekiel, and it somewhat works. When I try to use beryl I guess it fails in starting that it sends me back to the KWin manager. Now when I try to use Compiz, the bar at the top of a window disapears and I'm not able to move that window, but it will not switch to the kde manager, so my guess it's just that it doesn't work properly.

I tried doing this with Fedora Core 6, but I'm about to switch distros, and I'm trying a couple, one of them being gentoo, but I don't know if that'll make a difference. nonetheless I just want to try a different distro.

If you really like Beryl so much, try Mandriva2007 One edition. its a live CD with options for a permanent HD install.

It can automatically configure your NVIDIA graphics card and have Beryl up and running.

afterawards you can do a har drive install.

Then you can update from the main DVD or from the repository to get the whole mandriva release.

Regards,
xbcd
I'm on openSUSE 10.2 and nvidia driver were a 1 click install. Beryl also 1 click Compiz 1 click too. Yast is amazing and all i can say is i am in love with it. It take all the guess work out of everything.

Everything works good i am using a Geforce 6800 gs AGP which is not fully supported but works 100%. When i sent in my graphic card due to overheating i threw in a 6200 256mb version i had sitting around and since i already had nvidia drivers installed it continued to work with the preset "Hollywood got nothing". So it is definitely not your graphics card but more likely your drivers.
http://news.softpedia.com/news/How-to-Install-Video-Drivers-on-Fedora-Core-6-38740.shtml
that is a good guide to help you install drivers and to install beryl use
http://wiki.beryl-project.org/wiki/Install/Fedora_Core

Hope that helps man
FireFoxDB
jon9314 wrote:

NEVER EVER USE AUTOMATIX!!! YOU DESTROY YOUR WHOLE SYSTEM WITH THAT! IT DOES FORCE YES AUTOMATICALLY!
Arno v. Lumig
FireFoxDB wrote:
jon9314 wrote:

NEVER EVER USE AUTOMATIX!!! YOU DESTROY YOUR WHOLE SYSTEM WITH THAT! IT DOES FORCE YES AUTOMATICALLY!

Chill down a bit, okay?

Automatix is not bad at all, although you usually wouldn't need it.
Just be sure to make backups.
Ecthelion
Arno v. Lumig wrote:
FireFoxDB wrote:
jon9314 wrote:

Chill down a bit, okay?

It's not a good idea to use automatix. And honestly, I don't see what you need automatix for here... Just go to the nvidia website and download the nvidia drivers for linux. Then stop you grapic interface, go to a virtual terminal do
Code:
sh <nameoftheinstall>

answer the questions and then the latest nvidia drivers will be compiled for your hardware.

Automatix is really not that good (messes up your system). If you know that but still want to use, then that's your choise Smile
FireFoxDB
Arno v. Lumig wrote:
FireFoxDB wrote:
jon9314 wrote:

Chill down a bit, okay?

I'm just warning, I heard of many ****** installations just by using Automatix. It also adds alot of untrusty repos.
cvkien
is there any beryl for windows?? i tried to google it but i can't find one. i had see the preview and it is cool...
carlospro7
cvkien wrote:
is there any beryl for windows?? i tried to google it but i can't find one. i had see the preview and it is cool...

I hope I'm not wrong, but I have a feeling that your talking about Windows Vista, which is not beryl. It's actually microsoft's latest operating system, and does not use beryl at all.
Arno v. Lumig
Ecthelion wrote:
Arno v. Lumig wrote:
FireFoxDB wrote:
jon9314 wrote:

Chill down a bit, okay?

It's not a good idea to use automatix. And honestly, I don't see what you need automatix for here... Just go to the nvidia website and download the nvidia drivers for linux. Then stop you grapic interface, go to a virtual terminal do
Code:
sh <nameoftheinstall>

answer the questions and then the latest nvidia drivers will be compiled for your hardware.

Automatix is really not that good (messes up your system). If you know that but still want to use, then that's your choise Smile

I am sure that most of the linux newbies won't be able to do that. They have to get out of the GUI, then issue commands, but Ubuntu doesn't have several required dependencies installed by default, so they'll have to go apt-get install some libs... The nvidia installer is not particularly user-friendly (although the average linux user will understand it).

Autmatix will do all this for you without any trouble, most of the time.
cvkien
no, i'm using windows vista now, so of course i know it was the newest version of microsoft windows. i had google on video that demo Beryl on ubuntu and it is cool... so i ask is there any version for windows which can do so much of 3d effect on windows.
THRiLL KiLL
windows can do the cube effect.. and some of the windows minimizing effects..

but it is not as smooth or as powerfull as the linux counterparts...
YellowShadow
I've always had a bad time installing Beryl. Once I get Fiesty Fawn up and running, I'll try to get it to work. I've seen some good screenshots of it.
Ecthelion
Arno v. Lumig wrote:
Ecthelion wrote:
Arno v. Lumig wrote:
FireFoxDB wrote:
jon9314 wrote:
get automatix ....
NEVER EVER USE AUTOMATIX!!!

Chill down...

It's not a good idea to use automatix.
If you know that but still want to use, then that's your choise Smile

I am sure that most of the linux newbies won't be able to do that. They have to get out of the GUI, then issue commands, but Ubuntu doesn't have several required dependencies installed by default, so they'll have to go apt-get install some libs... The nvidia installer is not particularly user-friendly (although the average linux user will understand it).

Autmatix will do all this for you without any trouble, most of the time.

You are correct, of course.
Still, you can run beryl very well on the opensource drivers which you caninstall using synaptic.
That should do it for newbies. -if thy want more power, then maybe it's better to learn how to do things correctly by hand, instead of using risky alternatives.
I'm no sure these drivers are worth that risk.

Of course, that's my personal view Smile
Jaan
Beryl is awesome, had no probs on my ibm thinkpad or dell precision m90. If you love eye candy and productivity, definetely look for a solution.
djclue917
carlospro7 wrote:

You should first verify if hardware acceleration is enabled. Your setup might have been using indirect rendering (very slow!) after all you know...

I certainly don't know your system nor do I know how your system was setup.

To start off, what's the output of:
$ glxinfo | grep direct

If it is "direct rendering: Yes", then your good to go with Beryl and/or Compiz. On the other hand, if the output is "direct rendering: No", something is wrong with your X config (/etc/X11/xorg.conf for X.org 7).
djclue917
Jaan wrote:
Beryl is awesome, had no probs on my ibm thinkpad or dell precision m90. If you love eye candy and productivity, definetely look for a solution.

Yes Beryl is awesome with all those flashy eye-candy, burning windows, snowflakes, etc. However, Beryl is beta quality and will most likely break more often than Compiz. Beryl, in my humble opinion, is more "adventurous" and is more focused on flashy new features than stability. Compiz, on the other hand, is a bit more on the conservative side and favors stability more than anything else. In any case, we'll be in a win-win situation if the Beryl-Compiz merger will push through. That is, if the Compiz and Beryl folks will REALLY set aside their differences and work together and collaborate.
simplyw00x
I'm using beryl and have found the current SVN to be very stable and fairly fast. The only problem is the slight speed decrease with GL-accelerated windows, and the fact that I sometimes spend time playing with windows when I should be wokring.
carlospro7
is it possible to install beryl with Xfce4? Currently that's what I am using because it's smaller than KDE and Gnome, and I'd like to get my Xfce working with beryl, just to see if it works. Maybe I haven't done enough research, but I haven't found anything.
vandetta
Can I install Beryl in my Mac OS?
Mac OS have X11.. I think it's possible, right?
JayBee
vandetta wrote:
Can I install Beryl in my Mac OS?
Mac OS have X11.. I think it's possible, right?

Why? I though that many features of beryl were inspired from Mac OS X.

carlospro7 wrote:
is it possible to install beryl with Xfce4? Currently that's what I am using because it's smaller than KDE and Gnome, and I'd like to get my Xfce working with beryl, just to see if it works. Maybe I haven't done enough research, but I haven't found anything.

Yes, it is possible to run beryl with XFCE4.
xfwm4 will be replaced with beryl. Just run beryl manager and chose beryl as window manager.
I thing, xfce4 is better prepared for beryl then KDE. There is no problem with virtual desktops and application panel.

I used beryl with XFCE4 for months. But now I use XFCE4's own compositing features like shadows and transparency.
gelid
I ran into problems at first, I am using a 8800gtx and even getting nvidia drivers for this card seemed very hard until i used a program that just set it all up automatically, ahh bliss.

Once that was done I was off and away, beryl is very nice to use. I was very impressed with the fact you could maniulate live video like you could with marios face on the old N64 mario game.

I thought that i would end up just playing around with it for 5 minutes and then set it to bare minimum. I found that bar one or two effects they are all very much barable over long periods of time. I do like the fact that with hot keys you can just demand rain and so forth.

If you would have told me of a rotating cube to switch through 4 work spaces i would have said you were crazy. But it works very well and i am happy to say it runs very much so smoothly.
BlueVD
For anybody with nvidia graphics cards that can't get compiz or beryl to run... Get the livna repos... Also check if you have the right kernel installed (the FC6 installer does seem to get it wrong) if you have a x586 processor most likley you have the wrong kernel installed...
Andter you get livna and right kernel... beryl and compiz will work just fine.
ammonkc
how is the merging of beryl and compiz going to affect the users? what are the advantages of this?
mehulved
ammonkc wrote:
how is the merging of beryl and compiz going to affect the users? what are the advantages of this?
I haven't heard anything of it after the announcement. Maybe you can check their mailing lists, they may have more info.
Advantage is that you don't have to bother about which one to install. If you want stability and minimum effects will do then go only for the base, the beryl team will mostly be working on extra plugins for extra effects which maybe more unstable. But, that should do pretty well for the home users.
simplyw00x
Quote:
haven't heard anything of it after the announcement.

http://www.opencompositing.org/

Download the latest compiz and then run
compiz --replace ccm
mehulved
Great. Thanks I will check it out.
bri4n5
I use compiz + CentOS 5 with 256Mb ATI x550, and it works great!!!
Arno v. Lumig
I just wish they did something about the anti-aliasing in the 3D-stuff... It just looks horrible now. Also I don't like it. It eats my CPU (AMD X2 64 5600+) noticably.
future_technology
There's a video of Beryl on YouTube for those who have never seen it: http://youtube.com/watch?v=ZD7QraljRfM
corey
That's much better than the one that I uploaded yesterday to show how capturing Beryl on a P-III full screen would turn out. Beryl runs okay (ATI Radeon 9550256MB), but the ful scree video capture sure tazed my old system. Its still faster to respond than my Windows XP system.
[FuN]goku
i played around with it a bit on debian, never got the cube to work but i got ATI Radeon Xpress or something like that.. i dont know the full name off hand but some of the features did work. I dont have it anymore cuz i wasnt using it so ... anyways.