FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Graphics Card Upgrade Advice?

Dwyer17
I have an ATI x800 pro 256mb. It won't play Rainbow Six: Las Vegas, plus, I'm looking for an upgrade. The x800 pro is a pretty good card, so it's kind of hard picking a newer card that will be better. I've been looking at the x1650 xt 512mb by HIS, the turbo version, but I hear it's not as good of a card as the x800 pro. Also, I've been looking at the nvidia 7800 gt and the 6800. Not sure what to upgrade to. Anyone that knows the market, could you give me some advice please? Thanks, appreciated.

Also, the Ati x1950 pro 512mb agp is very nice. a bit pricy at $269.99 after rebate i think.
copperhouse
Dwyer17 wrote:
I have an ATI x800 pro 256mb. It won't play Rainbow Six: Las Vegas, plus, I'm looking for an upgrade. The x800 pro is a pretty good card, so it's kind of hard picking a newer card that will be better. I've been looking at the x1650 xt 512mb by HIS, the turbo version, but I hear it's not as good of a card as the x800 pro. Also, I've been looking at the nvidia 7800 gt and the 6800. Not sure what to upgrade to. Anyone that knows the market, could you give me some advice please? Thanks, appreciated.

Also, the Ati x1950 pro 512mb agp is very nice. a bit pricy at $269.99 after rebate i think.

hello Dwyer,

I have an old nvida card 9800pro 128mb and it works very well actually better than my newer card which is a 6600 anyway I asked around for a good middle priced card a while back and it was ALL the 7800gt,dont know if things have changed much but I am sure this is an amazing card.
I would go for the 7800gt,but it also depends what your motherboard preferences.
jay84h
I have the Radeon X1650 512MB and let me say if you do go with this card, you will be impressed! It was an upgrade from the 9600XT. I can play games like F.E.A.R flawlessly, but keep in mind the power you need to generate to the video card because it does require 350W's. This is a requirement, the lowest that it needs, I would recommend no less than a 500W PSU to keep things running smoothly. I play Counter-Strike: Source and compared to my old 9600XT, the X1650 blows it out of this world!
FireFoxDB
WHat is the rest of your pc
Dwyer17
I have P4 2.8GHz, 1gb RAM with 2-2-2-5 latency, 120gb, gigabyte motherboard with agp4x/8x slot.
jay84h
With those specs, the Radeon X1650 512MB DDR2 should do you just fine.
diduknowthat
What's your budget? If you need a card right now, then the 7900GS and GT will be nice. If you can wait a bit, you can look into the 8600gt/Ultra.
Dwyer17
My budget is looking at a $150 to $250 card. I heard that the x800 pro that I have is a much more powerful card that the x1650 even though the x1650 is a newer card. Is that true? A guy in a computer store told me that. I was surprised to hear it.
jay84h
As far as I know, the X800 would never compare close to the X1650. I would say that person that told you that, has no clue. You can see for yourself, research both cards and you'll see the differences.
psycosquirrel
NVIDIA's AGP offerings in your price range are not as good as ATI's. I would go with an ATI card or upgrade your system to PCI-E and get an 8800GTS 320Mb: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814130082. They are only $300 right now, and will game VERY well for a while.
Dwyer17
jay84h wrote:
As far as I know, the X800 would never compare close to the X1650. I woudl say that person that told you that, has no clue. You can see for yourself, research both cards and you'll see the differences.

Yup, haha I researched the x800 vs. the x1650, and like you said, the guy that told me about the two did not know what he was talking about. The x800 pro is a great card though, when it was new it was pretty much top of the line stuff.

Anyways, I have made my decision to buy

VGA SAPPHIRE 100171L X1950PRO 512MB
plus ARCTIC COOL Accelero X2 R

I'm positive I will be very satisfied.

Soooo, if anyone wants an x800 pro... haha

Thanks to everyone for helping me out!
Gosh! So much to know about the graphic cards market! Too much!