FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!


Adult Content and Violence in Video Games ??





theem
Adult Content and Violence in Video Games
Should governments censor video game producers?


Question
What do you think Question

Idea
BlazeDragon132
Video Games do not cause violence. Games have the same influence level as movies and music. Many Games have a "M" rating, which clearly means minors shouldn't buy it. In fact, Gamestop has a new policy that if they sell games to minors, they are fired.

As far as the actual content, I think some games do use it without reason. True Crime is an example about a cop who does things like a GTA game would. This game would have been fine playing like Max Payne, but they added loads of adult content. As far as the issue goes, I am ok with the content as long as it is used with taste.
{name here}
The government should not interfere with matters that will not collapse our society. Video games will not as long as people have the sense in them not to go on a killing rampage because they thought it was cool on Grand Theft Auto.
Da Rossa
I heard about that democrat congresswoman that tried to pass that law. It's not entirely ridiculous. So far the discussion dust is not down yet, but I have reasons to believe that violent games MAY or MAY NOT drive the players to violence. It's undeniable that some young players get excited to it, and when they play it for more hours than anything they do in the rest of the day, it's mind will graduately assume that the violence content is something normal in a certain way. The violence is planted in their minds, but the body and brain have hormones to prevent the haste. But, if somehow a male player has a low amount of serotonin and big of testosterone, plus the game violence stimulation, this combination is fatal.

The point is: the 30-year-old people are certainly more mature than the 25's, but it's a bit stupid to think that this maturity will develop in a flash from the age of 29 to 30.
bigdan
Nope, governments shouldn't be censoring games. It's up to parents to make sure kids don't play M rated games, and up to retailers not to sell M rated games to minors. The government cannot be acting as parents for everyone, eventually personal responsibility does take over.
Da Rossa
bigdan wrote:
Nope, governments shouldn't be censoring games. It's up to parents to make sure kids don't play M rated games, and up to retailers not to sell M rated games to minors. The government cannot be acting as parents for everyone, eventually personal responsibility does take over.


Two problems: The parents hardly know what the game is about, they don't spend much time with their kids. Second, the retailers want more to sell the product. Also, the retailer forces himself not to believe that an ordinary game is violent, they prefer to think that the competitor's or even the movies are more.
FaLLeN
The way i see it is that people can make their own decisions, and the ones that go on a rampage then blame a video game for their actions are just trying to squirm their twisted selves out a jail sentence.
I mean, sure there is alot of violence in games like GTA or that manhunt thing, but if parents don't want their kids to play them, then simply don't let them. They shouldn't get on their high horse and complain and get the fun of the game taken away for the rest of the mature audience, that will play the game for what it is...A GAME! Nothing more.
bigdan
Da Rossa wrote:

Two problems: The parents hardly know what the game is about, they don't spend much time with their kids. Second, the retailers want more to sell the product. Also, the retailer forces himself not to believe that an ordinary game is violent, they prefer to think that the competitor's or even the movies are more.


Hmmm....fair points there.

Parents do need to get a bit involved more I think. If they're paying for it, they have every right to ask what the game is about and what they can expect.

I know Australia has ratings systems for games. A little education will go a long way.
madsencarl
I think that if you want to buy something, and play it, you should be able to; it is your choice. Sure your parents can stop you, but if a parent lets their 12 year old son play a game along the likes of Manhunt, then they are, in my opinion, a horrible parent.

This reminds me of when John Howard (the Prime Minister of Australia) axed The Glasshouse from ABC just because they made too many jokes about him. Learn to take a joke, PM Sad
Seiji
Some games are a little too violent. I was playing Mortal Kombat when I was like 4 on the SNES but my parents didn't think much into it. The violence and adult content is really not needed. My point is always to beat the game, not to see extreme violence.
Da Rossa
Seiji wrote:
Some games are a little too violent. I was playing Mortal Kombat when I was like 4 on the SNES but my parents didn't think much into it. The violence and adult content is really not needed. My point is always to beat the game, not to see extreme violence.


Actually it's a little more complicated than that. Until MK, the games were slowly getting boring, something new should come up. In times of the reign of Street Fighter, the competitors should be presenting their own game with their own single identity. This attracted the public and deviated a little of the attention from SFII. Then, the criticism began. The level of entertainment and excitement while playing those games was much above the previous successes. The arcades in stores, which attracted lots of people to win each other became an addict. I was 8 at the MK I success, 9 at MKII, even more violent. Of course I got interested and curious. They should have got millions of it.
So, except for theme games and things like the sims, second life etc, it's undeniable that the violence is in our most entertaining games.
toughtrio
I play games to soothe my mind, and I fulfill that purpose by playing games like GTA, all RPGs and some car games. I like getting involved in a game, and do things (in a game) that I wouldnt have been able to do in real life.
I am a 16yo and I think I know my limits. What I do in games, is what I DONT DO IN REAL LIFE. People should themselves understand the difference.

And, as it goes with the natural human mindset, curiosity builds up over things that a person is not allowed to do, and so if parents dont allow their children to play games of their like, they MAY figure out other means. So, just let the people play what they want to, at most just explain the children that it is only a GAME. (which I think they lready know)

Warm Regards,
Yjaxygames
I think the parents are responeble, and that the games should not be prohobited. Vionlence and Adult content shouldn't be a big problem, only when sick minds play those games.
Da Rossa
Yjaxygames wrote:
I think the parents are responeble, and that the games should not be prohobited. Vionlence and Adult content shouldn't be a big problem, only when sick minds play those games.


I think they haven't created a VIOLENT game yet (for my standards). think they don't even want. There are many games around, and the parents should just do a research about the game the child wants and make a decision. If the game is ridiculous, just try tipping off the child.
Captain Fertile
Da Rossa wrote:
bigdan wrote:
Nope, governments shouldn't be censoring games. It's up to parents to make sure kids don't play M rated games, and up to retailers not to sell M rated games to minors. The government cannot be acting as parents for everyone, eventually personal responsibility does take over.


Two problems: The parents hardly know what the game is about, they don't spend much time with their kids. Second, the retailers want more to sell the product. Also, the retailer forces himself not to believe that an ordinary game is violent, they prefer to think that the competitor's or even the movies are more.


@bigdan I think what you said is completely and utterly correct.

There is nothing wrong with these games being produced (this is all true for movies too) it is ultimately up to us as parents to ensure our children view what is suitable for their age. This of course does not necessarily reflect the rating printed on the box. They are there as a guide, the final decision is ours as parents – we know our kids better than anyone.

Going on from what was posted above by Da Rossa, I was a little concerned that it is so easily percieved that parents don’t spend enough time with their kids to know what games they are playing. This is not true, in my opinion, not now that the original computer literate generation or old enough to be parents and even grandparents.
I am an active PS2 player and my three children have their own PS2 but I am aware of exactly which games in our house are and are not suitable for each of my three boys (aged 4, 7 and 9).

If parents don’t have the time to check out what their kids are watching then they are avoiding their responsibility as parents. It takes a minute at most to get the idea of a game by looking at the rating and reading the back cover, then less than 5 minutes game time to reach an informed decision.

Of course unscrupulous retailers are going to sell these things to under age children, they will even exchange them with each other in the school playground and try to sneak them home to play.

We need to accept that nobody is going to protect the welfare of our children as much as we would like, ultimately it is down to us whether we like it or not. Pass the buck if you wish but that is the truth. We parents should make it our business to know what our kids are watching and playing.

I am sure to spend plenty of time playing games on the PS2 with them that are suitable for them and that they enjoy even if I don’t particularly enjoy the game myself. It is time spent with my boys and we have a laugh together while I get to see what games the kids are playing. They love to point out how bad I am at their games, you see, being a strict parent does not mean having to be a distant or stuffy parent. It also does not have to be a chore for us or them.

There are clear distinctions, which games in our house are off limits and my games that match this description are on a higher shelf so the kids know not to use them and would find it extremely difficult to ‘accidentally’ put one of my games into their PS2.

Incidentally I will not pot play these games if the kids are around either – even if it means I have to wait a lot longer than I would like to play the games I want to. You can’t relax the rules just because it suits you.

The reason I think this is so important is because a child’s innocence and childhood can never be replaced when it is taken away by seeing and hearing things they should not. I am not saying we must wrap the kids in cotton wool but preserving their innocence for as long as is practical is vital to producing well rounded, happy and bright children. These will then go on to become better adults and meet their full potential (all things being equal of course).
Futile
I agree with the Captain. As a parent, it is my responsibility to monitor and be involved in what my children watch and play. We, my girls and I, are die hard gamers. We own a Wii, Xbox 360, PS2, Game Cube and they each have their own PC. The games that are Daddy’s are off limits and they know which ones they are.

I feel that parents these days do not assume enough responsibility for their children’s actions and well being and it is ultimately our responsibility. Parents are quick to point out that the cause of an issue or that the problem lies elsewhere, whether it is video games, music, movies or television. We can’t protect and monitor our children all the time but as the Captain said, “It takes 5 minutes.” I firmly believe that if you aren’t part of the solution then you are part of the problem. Parents need to be part of the solution.
rhathar
Kids know what is acceptable and what isn't - they just don't care, really. And if you let them be exposed to unacceptable material for long enough without caring, then it becomes more acceptable.

Notice how I said 'more acceptable'. Not 'they begin to think its ok'. But if a parent approaches their children and makes them explain what they're doing, watching, reading, etc. as a way of showing interest, they'll notice right away what their kids may have that they don't think their parents want them to have.
Duncan Idaho
Hmm, well I honestly don't care. I like that sort of things in games because I get see more violence outside my room than in it, and it doesn't help that some kids get sent away to do those things in war, so if there should be no brutallity at all, I'd rather it be in the latter. Necessary or fatal, I am a gamer (and a person) and entitled to an opinion.
davey
No government should censor video games as 1) No link between youth violence and video games has ever been proven, and 2) Censoring harmless products like video games would do nothing but stifle creativity.
Daire
Okay I haven't read through all that posts just now, because there's quite alot of them, but here's my tuppence worth.

Video games shouldn't be censored, very few things should. They should be rated, and things with lets say an 18+ shouldn't be sold to someone under age. Computer violence doesn't breed violence. People who say they are acting out violence from the computer, are, in my opinion, people who would have been violent anyway.


If we did carry out what we saw in games, why haven't we all took an Italian accents and become plumberS?
theem
hmm.... okhey
most of the people here said that games shouldn't be censored
No need to start a poll because one of my polls were locked recently... Laughing lol'z
mjohnson
I can accept Adult contents but I refuse violence in games.It is both hamful to children.
{name here}
mjohnson wrote:
I can accept Adult contents but I refuse violence in games.It is both hamful to children.

Please see this document (PDF)
reddishblue
madsencarl wrote:
This reminds me of when John Howard (the Prime Minister of Australia) axed The Glasshouse from ABC just because they made too many jokes about him. Learn to take a joke, PM Sad

Oh my GOD, thats what happened to Glasshouse, well he lost my vote, well I think that kids themselves should have the good taste to play proper good games, I am thirteen (so I can't vote after all Sad ) and I have no desire to play Grand Theft Auto and would pick Project Gotham Racing or Halo (also violent but nowhere near as much so), adults never respect a child's intelligence and this sort of thing is why, they make stupid choices on these things.
Yantaal
we all know that in sonic typing:

up, down, left, right A+Start. gives you all levels



we all know this doesnt work in real life.

the idiots who think real life and games run in unison are idiots and shouldnt be allowed to play them.

thus government no need to join in
Rako
1. it's surprising how many people are from australia (including me)

2. people play computer games because you can't do them in real life often and if you could play them in real life then computer games would decrease in popularity.

3. my parents are very technically incompetent but they know what games I'm playing and they can read the rating.
Da Rossa
There's yet another issue: unquestioningly, violent games AND movies has driven younger minds to become fond of the content. And I'm not talking about a small group, it's about millions. In these millions, there are murderers. How many of those murderers were NOT stimulated by the violence in the games and movies? Conclusion: you may want it or not, hundreds of thousands of murders were due to games and movies.
lukeropro
I'm saying no. If it's really violent then maybe impose an age limit but censorship is definitely not necessary.
iNs@nE
Many threads here have already discussed the point that violence in games does not lead to any kind of violent actions by the gamer. Only one who aint stable gets inspired from games and tried to carry them out in real life.

Imagine if you played spider-man, would you go ahead and get bit by some spider and try to jump off the building?
YOu wont, coz you are sane.
Thats it!!

If you were iNs@nE like me, then you would shoot down everyone like my cat. LOL..!!
scimitarmoon
I'm not sure if I'm the only one that does this, but when someone makes me angry and I'm in a foul mood, that's when I tend to play violent video games. It makes me feel better because in the game I can kill the people that piss me off when in real life I know I can't. I think it's better to take my chances being "negatively influenced" by violence in video games than to actually act out against the people that are mean or rude to me. But even when I play games that to me seem violent... they aren't games like Grand Theft Auto or Mortal Kombat... to me those games go too far and I can't enjoy them. So I simply don't buy them, but I respect the rights of others to buy them if they like them.

I think video games have no more influence on people than do movies or music... but most of the blame gets placed on video games, when movies and songs can be just as violent. But it's also starting to bother me that all media is ending up with tons of unnecessary graphic violence and sex and other adult content when the stories would be just fine or even improved without it. But if it didn't have a certain appeal in having such things, it would eventually stop being done... So in my mind that says something important about our society, that these violent games and movies are popular.
ThornsOfSorrow
Da Rossa wrote:
Two problems: The parents hardly know what the game is about, they don't spend much time with their kids. Second, the retailers want more to sell the product. Also, the retailer forces himself not to believe that an ordinary game is violent, they prefer to think that the competitor's or even the movies are more.

It's true that some (but definitely not all) parents don't know how violent a game may be when they buy it for their children, but it's not that difficult for them to see the gigantic "M" on the box. If the game says "M - 17+", then the parents should know that, if their child isn't at least 17, then they shouldn't play that particular game.

I think that a lot of times parents know what a game is about and that it contains violence, but they just don't care. Censoring videogames wouldn't help the situation because then movies, television, and everything else would need to be censored as well. After all, a parent who buys violent games for their kids would probably let them watch violent movies and television shows as well.

With that being said, I don't think a game could make a person violent. In fact, I think they can deter violence. Whenever I feel like destroying things due to anger, I'll shoot people in some violent game instead of breaking things in real life.
Vinas
I read something about this a couple of months ago in a PC Gamer mag. It's pretty stupid to be honest. The games have age rating for a reason. And besides, games don't make people want to be violent and kill people in real life. People already have those urges deep down, they're just not (as) obvious.
TruPain
I do think there needs to be certain rules and regulations with games and thier ratings. However, I do not think that someone should blame video games when someone breaks the law or does something immoral...

Kid steals a car and runs down people - blames Grand Theft Auto for making him/her think it would be fun and cool to do this.

Kid shoots 10 others killing 9 wounding 1 - blames (some shooting game) because he was really thinking in his mind that this game would be great to play right now.

Of course, these examples are just that... examples... but it seems in todays society, too many people are so quick to blame something for the problems in life, and generally, we blame what we call entertainment. Parents blame rock music and video games for much of the violence in thier childs life... but yet, no parent blames themselves because they watch the news that shows graphic pictures of a war where someone just got shot, or newspapers showing pictures of dead people on the front cover, nor do we blame our governments oofor not putting a stop to allowing some new content from being shown on live TV.

This is the real stuff people need to be looking at... not games or music. Lets start blaming our real life issues, not the things we call entertainment.

But as with everything, ecspecially the US, the government must have control or at least majority control in order for someone to be able to do something...

::sorry if I got a little sidetracked there and off the main topic... but somethings just get me going...::
SmartIcon
Yes. This need censer. Otherwise it will rune us.
welshsteve
My personal opinion is that there is absolutely no need for the sex and violence you find in computer games. Why for pity sick? What's the point?
Captain Fertile
welshsteve wrote:
My personal opinion is that there is absolutely no need for the sex and violence you find in computer games. Why for pity sick? What's the point?


I can see your point, and I wish it were so but sadly there must be some need in the human make-up otherwise these games would not be so phenomenally popular with kids and adults.

I am not usually an overly violent or debauched man but playing these games allows me to release a side of me I would never dream of allowing freedom in real life.

It is good to be put into circumstances and make choices you would never (hopefully) have to face in your real life. So for a few hours you can live a completely different life and see the choices you would make if you were that person.

It is immensely entertaining but when people cannot draw the line between entertainment and what is acceptable in the real world we have a problem.

Of course everyone is looking for something to blame the ills of the world, and the sick compulsions of we humans but it usually comes down to one factor – the individual and the choices he or she makes.

You can choose to pick up that gun (or indeed rape and defile another human if you would like that kind of game) in real life or you can decide to keep guns (or knives, machetes etc.) in the fantasy world in which you sometimes immerse yourself before RETURNING to reality and the acceptable world.
{name here}
welshsteve wrote:
My personal opinion is that there is absolutely no need for the sex and violence you find in computer games. Why for pity sick? What's the point?

In Roman times, there was a very popular place called the Colosseum. There people cheered as gladiators were mauled by Lions and their fellow man simply for the entertainment. Crowds cheered on as no mercy was shown to the loser of the fight.

Deep down, we are all savage beasts, and we find that watching violence is a fun experience - whether through wrestling, the world cup, boxing, street fighting, or video games. Violent video games appeal to the savage beast inside by giving it a layer of interactivity in addition to your ability to watch violence unfold.

Inside, our instincts love these games. It's entertainment for your inner caveman. It's an enjoyable experience. However, you need to have the mental capacity to separate right from wrong because if you don't and you're playing GTA:San Andreas, you might think it's okay to shoot someone in the face with a shotgun in real life.
funnyerror
I think some video games do have quite a bit of violence and adult content. But movies do also, that's what the ESRB rating is for.....
kaypep
Adult Content: Even movies have their ratings and age limits, and if implemented properly, I think they'll do fine, as long as it doesn't get atrocious.

As for Gaming violence, it's a something that cannot be missed out for that ultimate gaming experience. There's even bloodshed in games for general public, so I feel that it's fine. However for extreme violences (e.g. beheadings, torsos split open), there are age limits implimented, aren't there? Like Doom 3 has a rating of either NC16 or M18, isn't it? It's sort of a indicator for inapproriate content.
Scott
Adult subjects are prominent in all other sorts of media, why not in video games? I don't think that -all ages- should be able to play incredibly violent games, but they should at least be available.
Captain Fertile
Scott wrote:
Adult subjects are prominent in all other sorts of media, why not in video games? I don't think that -all ages- should be able to play incredibly violent games, but they should at least be available.


I agree with you fully but parents have to ensure their kids are not accessing the content.

The certificates and ratings are worthless if kids are accessing content not intended for their age group.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with adult content as long as it is used by adults in the right context - this means urelu for entertainment.

This goes for games, movies, music (especially inciteful lyrics) - anything that my currupt young minds and steal a childhood away from a youngster before their time.
kiranaghor
It is highly impossible to watch over kids and tel them not to play those games that are not for thier age. So many kids play such violent games and it makes me sad that they like playing them.
Game cafes are full of school going kids and the cafe owner does not worry abt the games they are playing. The graphic girls in games are shown with outstanding and accentuating body parts and I wonder what kids think when they see them.
Captain Fertile
kiranaghor wrote:
It is highly impossible to watch over kids and tel them not to play those games that are not for thier age. So many kids play such violent games and it makes me sad that they like playing them.
Game cafes are full of school going kids and the cafe owner does not worry abt the games they are playing. The graphic girls in games are shown with outstanding and accentuating body parts and I wonder what kids think when they see them.


Which is why it is so important to enforce the rules when you CAN watch over your kids.

If you do instill a feeling of right and wrong with your kids then hopefully they will think twice when you are not there.

If you do let them watch anything and everything while they are with you then then will continue to do so (and worse) when you are not there.

If they know they aren't going to get into trouble then there are no boundries, if something has a feeling of guilt the kids will either want to watch it more or will want to avoid it as to not get into trouble (it depends upon the kids in the end but working at being a parent rather than juts letting it all slide will hopefully bring out a btter outcome for your kids).

You can't just say "What's the point?" and throw your hands up in defeat, that is lazy and sloppy parenting. You keep plugging away and hopefully your kids will tell right from wrong - at the very least you will have shown consistancy in your parenting and done your duty by your kids - you can't live their life for them after all.
blk3
Violence should not be censored on games as there is no absolute prove that it leads to violent tendencies. Lots of gamers play violent games this days but they really dont express violent behavior, they tend to bent their violent tendecies towards the game as a way of release.
The_Gamer294
wtf, video games are fine the way they are. the government just needs something to complain about.
bikeflyer05
I enjoy video games as they are. If they were to be sencored that would take the fun out of it. Mad
mariomaster
No they shouldn't be censored. Most M games are simply rated that because of 1 drug refrence, sexual refrence, etc. Either way, the only M game I've ever played is Grand theft auto. For the most part, I play T games (and sometimes E10+ games).

Also, what do you mean by censoring? (Even though it's stupid).

"A" rated games are an impending problem, but certainly not with violence. A player plays the game for personal enjoyment and entertainment (and sometimes laughs for JackAss2) but people wouldn't go on a killing rampage, planting Time Bombs and shooting at poor innocent ladies as in Grand theft auto. They play it for fun. Jesus, has the government gone censor crazy?

This is an excellent topic for discussion, whoever created it deserves a pat on the back. (And the government deserves a slap in the face if they decide to censor them). Choosing a video game is the descision of the person itself, and only their descision. Nobody should be allowed to change it. It's stupid and dumb.
mariomaster
The ladies on those video games look beautiful, they are the best part in surfing games! When I was 10 and looked at them I thought "Wow...." and that made me come back for more. Whoever just said games are perfect the way they are, proves my point.
Afaceinthematrix
No way! I am totally and firmly against censorship of any kind! I believe that censorship is just an excuse for parents to be bad parents.

A few years back, backyard wrestling became popular and many kids were getting really hurt. The parents of these kids, instead of watching their kids properly, decided to blame the easiest target, the World Wrestling Federation. The WWF clearly had an adult rating, and wasn't meant for kids. Now there are several good inventions that prevent kids from watching shows that their parents don't want them to watch... how come these parents weren't using that? How come they weren't watching their kids better?

I can't stand parents that just expect the government to do their jobs.

The_Gamer294 wrote:
wtf, video games are fine the way they are. the government just needs something to complain about.


The government doesn't need something to complain about. Bad parents need someone to blame.
bonestorm74
I believe that discerning adults should be able to choose what form of entertainment they watch or partake in. Here in Australia we have no R classification for games, and so anything with adult content gets modified or banned.

I think there is a prevailing attitude that gamers equals kids, where in this day and age many gamers are in fact adults. I agree with proper classifications to make it more difficult for minors to get their hands on adult content, but not with outright censorship.
Nameless
madsencarl wrote:
This reminds me of when John Howard (the Prime Minister of Australia) axed The Glasshouse from ABC just because they made too many jokes about him. Learn to take a joke, PM Sad

Um no, that's not exactly who was behind that decision. At all.

But to answer the topic question, no. Not unless you plan to censor almost everything, which would be stupid.
Pikokola
dude, they don't need to censor those games.
They already rate it, ESRB things, that gigantic M on the game cover, etc, etc. When kids plays games that doesn't suit them self and do something because pretending to be like the hero/heroine on the game, it's not the game makers fault, moreover the games, it's the parents that didn't filter what their kid got.

Things like games, novel, and anything that means for entertainment, when it's consumed with those that shouldn't consume it, it's not those entertainments that wrong. Things like porn vid, those wrestling scene, etc, etc.
vegi666
{name here} wrote:
The government should not interfere with matters that will not collapse our society. Video games will not as long as people have the sense in them not to go on a killing rampage because they thought it was cool on Grand Theft Auto.



very true. It doesnt really matter if the government censors them or not cuz the young ones will still get a hold of them anyway
kerryworkman
Absolutely not! I think that it is up to the descression of the consumers. I think the rating system is a good idea to keep kids from buying inappropriate games themselves. If their parents choose to buy them for them then it is their choice not the governments.

It should not be up to the government to decide what things we do in our personal lives as long as you are not harming someone else with your actions. Like here in the U.S. especially in California they have made all sorts of laws that limit your personal choice in things the goverment decided were too dangerous to be left up to us to decide for ourselves. I will leave it at that I have gone far enough off subject on my little rant, I just hate government control.
DjMilez
Adult content I guess is not necesary. But violence in video games? Of course.

Violence in games is so much fun if it's done the right way. Also, violence in video games has caused violence, but kinda stupidly. Some guy 'whacked' a few cops and his mother blamed it on grand theft auto. Or times when little people preform vandalism, injury, etc and say "I did it because of gta,". Kinda like saying "Oh my god, I didn't know you could nick cars, destroy property, and kill people with guns and weapons!" after you play a violent game like that.
biljap
I think that maybe there should be some sort of information about adequate age, something like “Not recommended for younger than 12 years old”, or something similar.
Companies should have freedom to create the type of games they want, whether they include adult or violent content. Information about the content of the game and parent’s caution should be enough.
blackheart
IMO - there has to be a point where individuals must practice self censorship (and censorship on behalf of their own family unit).

The same as I don't believe in total ban or censorship of music or movies (except where to the extreme of say child pornography, i.e. where the content itself is illegal when in aural/visual form), I don't believe in censorship of video games.

And I've seen some of the worst, postal II and the like.


I do however believe in restrictions - such as R ratings accessible only to over 18s - being placed on more extreme content.
hofodomo01
It corrupts the soul and whitewashes over morals. And that's how I like it!
Seiji
Without adult content in games, most games nowadays couldn't be made. If anyone has played BioShock, they would see it is a bit violent and disturbing but its great game with a wicked story.

Games like Manhunt have already been banned I think and games like that should be banned. Sometimes adult content is needed but not an exaggerated amount.
linkmenot
NOOO WAAAY. How do you think "too HUman" will look like after that

theem wrote:
Adult Content and Violence in Video Games
Should governments censor video game producers?


Question
What do you think Question

Idea
torboxz
If we worry about our kids, then we must show them that we are worried. sometimes as a parents we must have the courage to say 'NO!' even it'll make them break into tears. how can we ban something that other people do for living, have a heart, try to put yourself in their shoes, what if you cant do the thing you can do the best and making money from it.
Related topics
Video Games
Survey: Which type of advertisements are you interested in?
PVPMachine - Paintball, Video Games, PC
Video Games any one?
ARE VIDEO GAMES BAD FOR OUR CHILDREN??
Retro Gaming
Video games cause Epilepsy (Fits)?
Video Games
Where can I get a free adult content filter for XP?
Does violence in video games elicit violent behavior?
The best video games of 2007.
Has video games changed/influenced you?
Has video games changed your sex life?
What are the good or bad sides of playing computer games?
Reply to topic    Frihost Forum Index -> General -> General Chat

FRIHOST HOME | FAQ | TOS | ABOUT US | CONTACT US | SITE MAP
© 2005-2011 Frihost, forums powered by phpBB.