FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Remote Desktop on Windows XP Home...

ganesh
I used to use Windows XP Remote Desktop on my univ computers (because they were all Win XP Professional)

Now I am trying to get remote desktop to run on my home machine so that I can control it from my workplace. Unfortunately I am bundled with Win XP Home Edition on my home PC. Home edition doesn't have Remote Desktop. Any idea to enable that feature.. or any program to do that which I can download from somewhere?
Animal
You can't "enable" the feature because it is designed to only work on Windows XP Pro. You can connect to an XP Pro computer using the Remote Desktop client on XP Home, you just can't "dial-into" your XP Home PC. You'll need to use other software to do this.

I recommend RealVNC, but you need to be running it on both the host PC and the terminal.
rungroj
I agree winvnc is a perfect software.
Shin
So the difference between XP Home and Professional (regarding Remote Desktop) is Professional allows other PC to dial in, but not for Home version??

Is RealVNC the same as winVNC?
Animal
Shin wrote:
So the difference between XP Home and Professional (regarding Remote Desktop) is Professional allows other PC to dial in, but not for Home version??

Yes, that's correct.

Shin wrote:
Is RealVNC the same as winVNC?

RealVNC was formerly called WinVNC, but it is now platform independent and the name changed. You could therefore use RealVNC on Linux to control a Windows PC for example.
orno
incase realvnc gets too complicated for you, use LogMeIn (www.logmein.com)

doesnt get simpler, and u can basically access your computer from ANY internet enabled computer anywhere in the world without installing any extra software...perfect for my needs

(logmein + orb = Smile)