FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Snow in England

hunterm
We've just had a bit of snow in England. Approximately 6 inches has coated the south of the country and suddenly it seems that the country grinds to a halt. Trains cancelled, lanes on the motorways closed, schools closed, people advised not to travel unless absolutely necessary.

How do other countries cope? It amazes me that a developed country like England can be so affects by a bit of snow. Economists have predicted that is could cost the country 400 million pounds.

But it's not just snow. If we get a few days of sun we have drought warnings, water shortages and hosepipe bans. It seems that the government should spend a little more on our infrastructure as we are in more danger from natural forces than terrorist forces at the moment.
Yjaxygames
There was some snow in the Netherlands too, yesterday. But it's mostly gone now Sad
Davidgr1200
I live in Sweden and we get plenty of snow each winter. If it is expected then snowploughs are ready to go out as soon as it either stops snowing or a lot of snow has come. They clear the major roads first and then the smaller roads. Every council has plans and either has their own snow clearing equipment or has a contract with a private company to do the snow clearing. This means that if it snows on Saturday evening for example, then by Monday morning all the roads are clear as are most of the pavements in towns. Gritting lorries also go out and put grit on the roads and pavements.
Cars also change to winter tyres (either with studs in them for icy conditions or special snow tyres for the north of the country).
At least that is what is supposed to happen. Sometimes we get caught unawares and chaos ensues, but rarely for more than a few hours (it's worst if it snows heavily just before the rush hour starts). Sometimes car drivers are unprepared and end up in the ditch. Personally I leave the car at home and take a bus and/or train.
This is paid for on the rates and can be a substantial cost. On the road where I live for example, we have to pay for snow clearing ourselves. probably a couple of hundred pounds per household a year in a snowy winter.
Tumbleweed
Im English and I can tell you exactly why the country grinds to a halt when we have a little snow.............Everybody wants to go and play in it Razz
Josso
Even down south in Oxfordshire we've had two snow days in a row. Very rare. That's one of the reasons this country cannot cope with it. It happens not very often so in a way we don't even need to have better facilities to cope with it all. Mind you saying that I was on a greek island about a year ago, they only really get snow every few years and they had it cleared all over the island by 10am Laughing
nilsmo
We had a little over an inch here a few days ago, and school was cancelled. In Maryland we have light snows (last few winters have been mild), and they don't affect us much. However, before we had over a foot of snow, and that did affect the state, closing the state down a couple days (schools were closed for a week).
Daisie
I m near Dover and we had rain ! it's not fair... five miles down the road they had plenty of snow and we got rain and slush. We never seem to have any in my wee town!
The weather man say that more snow will come at the week end so finger crossed, we might do a snowman at last !
Aless
This country can't deal with any sort of interesting weather. The trains/Underground were all screwed up a couple of weeks ago with the high winds, and this week they all went haywire because of snow! There's just not the right support structures in place to deal with these sort of things. In Denver, CO where my sister lives, they wouldn't even BLINK at the 4-5in of snow we had. Lemme tell you, it sure made cycling to the train station an interesting experience! Smile
ncwdavid
The other countries can deal with it because there used to it and can expect it. Like lets say Austria for an example. Some Peoples full time jobs are to plow the roads, clear the paths and stuff like that. All those kinda countries have spcial equipement to deal with the snow. I am going to Austria next week skiing and every morning i get up all the roads will be plowed and no snow at al left on them, maybe a bit of ice which is hard to remove.
Captain Fertile
My wife and I were discussing the lack of decent snow this year with friends a couple of nights ago when my wife commented, "I'm more than satisfied with less than half an inch every so often." Shocked

Well needless to say the conversation broke down into a fits of laughter, I had to explain that this was no reflection on my sexual ability and she was left red-faced and speechless. Laughing
Soulfire
I live in southern Michigan. We've seen about %5 of our average snowfall for the year. It was warm, temperatures in the 50s to 60s through all of December and the first half of January (10-15 Celsius), which made for absolutely no snow.

Around January 15, we were plunged into a deep freeze. In fact, this past week school was closed for 2 days because it was too cold to operate the busses.

It has been overpowering cold that has stopped the snow storms. It's just too cold to snow here! Unless you live near the Great Lakes, friends of mine have picked up 100" (254cm) of snow in a few days. Schools are closed for 2-3 weeks... but alas, not here.
william
Soulfire wrote:
I live in southern Michigan. We've seen about %5 of our average snowfall for the year. It was warm, temperatures in the 50s to 60s through all of December and the first half of January (10-15 Celsius), which made for absolutely no snow.

Around January 15, we were plunged into a deep freeze. In fact, this past week school was closed for 2 days because it was too cold to operate the busses.

It has been overpowering cold that has stopped the snow storms. It's just too cold to snow here! Unless you live near the Great Lakes, friends of mine have picked up 100" (254cm) of snow in a few days. Schools are closed for 2-3 weeks... but alas, not here.

Yep, here in the US, we were going through above average temperatures for quite a while, now almost the entire nation is under a deep freeze. Temperatures were falling below 0 degrees Farenheit (around -18 celsius) and places like upper New York state were pounded with snow. I've heard that another 2 feet (61 cm) are possible on top of the 100 inches (254 cm). As for schools and offices, many shut down because the heating systems failed (even without the snow).
mjohnson
This winter is a warm winter in our hometown too.
Pyro Man
We have a LandRover, so we got around quite easily, and saw many normal cars couldn't cope.

I also know that if you get stuck in the snow, you should let half the air out of your tyres, and you get twice as much traction and should be able to get moving again.

Another difference between us in the UK and the USA +Canada and other places that have snow, the US have proper snow ploughs with big metal ploughs and stuff welded on, we in the UK bolt a stupid plastic plough onto some random council truck.
ninjakannon
Schools around where I live were cancelled for one or two days because of the snow - however people carried on going to work. It was actually safer for those who were going to work in their cars because the roads were far clearer and most of the snow had turned to slush under the wheels of the cars. Some still didn't go to work though.

To be honest the schools could definitely have stayed open (and should have on the 2nd day - only some did though). I suppose some of the teachers who live further a field might not have been there to teach but the majority would have been there.
psycosquirrel
Wow, it is 70F outside here in Atlanta. I guess we are getting some good weather.

It rarely snows here (Atlanta, Georgia, USA), so we barely have to cope with it. When it does hard enough to disrupt daily life, it is such a rare occurance that everything just stops and everyone enjoys the snow for a few days. Within a week, the snow has usually melted away and its back to work again...
standready
Here in the US it really depends on where you live. States that normally do get snowed upon each year have alot of equipment to remove the the snow. But it still depend on how quickly the snow falls and the amount of wind.

Go to the southern states where it does not snow often, the states do not have much equipment (understandably) and people, generally, can't handle driving in any amount of snow.
Teddy1
Places like New York get 125 inches of snow and we get a measly 6 inches and the country can't cope. England comes to a standstill just because there's a few inches of snow on the ground Shocked, I like snow i want it to snow more Very Happy. I wished it would snow more here in england especially at christmas time Crying or Very sad. It's all down to global warming! Surprised.
chilllayd
The netherlands... no snow. (noord holland).
Aless
Snow last week & now it's sunny and bright! There's the weather for ya'. Razz
AG007
As I speak is snowing in Chicago and probably about one inch has fallen already. I dont know if is going to get worst they say it was going to be 5 to 6 inches in my area, I just see one inch so far.
All white right now...
Captain Fertile
AG007 wrote:
As I speak is snowing in Chicago and probably about one inch has fallen already. I dont know if is going to get worst they say it was going to be 5 to 6 inches in my area, I just see one inch so far.
All white right now...

I wish I was there... ...I love snow like that.
nilsmo
I got about an inch of snow (I live near Washington DC). School day was cut in half Wink
Donutey
Here (midwest US) anything more than a 2-3 inches will shut down the city for a few hours while the road crews clean up. When I've been in the south and it's snowed/iced up any at all (even 1/4" dusting) people start forming massive pileups because they don't know how to drive in the snow.
ItsWesley
Lucky or unlucky for me, I live in the south of england, so we hardly ever get any snow, we got a little last thursday, but not much at all.
ninjakannon
It seems like almost everywhere cities are shutting down because of snow, even if they are prepared most of the time - there still appears to be a problem for only a few hours.

So what could be done to keep things going?
Captain Fertile
ItsWesley wrote:
Lucky or unlucky for me, I live in the south of england, so we hardly ever get any snow, we got a little last thursday, but not much at all.

Up here in the North East of England we are getting that way too mate. Seems like less snow every year.

Hmmm, there may be something in this global warming you know.
ninjakannon
Captain Fertile wrote:
Up here in the North East of England we are getting that way too mate. Seems like less snow every year.

There most certainly is something in it. I'm only a teenager and yet even I've noticed the difference; back when I was little I remember winters where you could make a snowman - I've been able to (but actually didn't) once in the last few years (somewhere between 3 and 5 years, I can't remember).

It's quite scary actually, people say you can't see the affects of Global Warming in MEDCs (more economically developed countries) yet but there are small differences, the summers are certainly hotter - far hotter.
Fuzzy-Duck
ninjakannon wrote:
There most certainly is something in it. I'm only a teenager and yet even I've noticed the difference; back when I was little I remember winters where you could make a snowman

I agree, I'm twentymumble years old and was amazed to hear of whole council area's schools shutting down for one or two days! 10-15 years ago I remember fighting through 4 or 5 feet of snow just to get to school, and yet last week people get mere inches and everyone gets a day off!

Mind you, I reckon I've seen snow every year for the last few years - I'm on the edge of the Peaks on the Manchester side and I've been sledging both last year and twice so far this year, so i wouldn't worry about global warming just yet - isn't Britain supposed to get colder anyway?

On a lighter note, did anyone mange to make a snowman - and take a photo to prove it?

Cheers,
fuzzy
Captain Fertile
Fuzzy-Duck wrote:

On a lighter note, did anyone mange to make a snowman - and take a photo to prove it?

Cheers,
fuzzy

Of course I did! Here is my niece putting the finishing touches to our snowman this year...

...like I said, its been unseasonably warm this winter! Laughing
Pyro Man
Captain Fertile wrote:
ItsWesley wrote:

Here in the south, we're getting MORE snow every year
Captain Fertile
Pyro Man wrote:
Captain Fertile wrote:
ItsWesley wrote:

Here in the south, we're getting MORE snow every year

The plot thickens! This is getting really wierd.

I always thought the south would be even warmer than up here in the North. It just doesn't make sense.

I will be dusting off my DVD of The Day After Tomorrow to do some research!

Now where did I put those snow shoes? Rolling Eyes
mantasx
Wow, i thought it only rained it england. I now stand corrected. Embarassed
Vinas
Tumbleweed wrote:
Im English and I can tell you exactly why the country grinds to a halt when we have a little snow.............Everybody wants to go and play in it Razz

Yeah, it's not often we get some decent weather. The majority of the year we're stuck with rain and/or overcast skies so any snow/sunshine we get, we try to take full advantage of.

We had about 2 days of snow/sleet in Liverpool. Which to think about, is really sad considering how much we used to get during the winter.
watersoul
We do grind to a halt here in UK when it snows and yep, it's really about local government making a gamble each year of how much money to spend on salt grit and snow ploughs for the roads. If they buy winter supplies based on above average forecasts, you can be sure it won't be used and people will complain about waste. if the gamble is made that there won't be much snow, we have a freak shower like last week, and everything stops.
I do wonder how much of it is down to people finding a good excuse to get out of work though - I know I would have if it had snowed in the south west - jealous!
Josso
mantasx wrote:
Wow, i thought it only rained it england. I now stand corrected. Embarassed

Haha it rains an awful lot. Winter is super depressing here because of that although we do have some nice summers Smile
erlendhg
hunterm wrote:
We've just had a bit of snow in England. Approximately 6 inches has coated the south of the country and suddenly it seems that the country grinds to a halt. Trains cancelled, lanes on the motorways closed, schools closed, people advised not to travel unless absolutely necessary.

How do other countries cope? It amazes me that a developed country like England can be so affects by a bit of snow. Economists have predicted that is could cost the country 400 million pounds.

But it's not just snow. If we get a few days of sun we have drought warnings, water shortages and hosepipe bans. It seems that the government should spend a little more on our infrastructure as we are in more danger from natural forces than terrorist forces at the moment.

In Norway we usually have snow from October-December to April-May.
Recently, we have had several meters with it.
Yeah. I love snow Cool
AG007
Yeah over here it was Christmas and the temperature was still warm like spring. I am sure is because of Global Warming.

I like snow, but I am not a snow person. I am from Latin America and over there is always hot. So the change from there to here in Chicago affects me a little. But snow is alright.

Hard to move, I had a fun day plowing and using my neighborers blower. I was tired at the end of the day. Now its getting warm again. But I think this weekend there is more snow. Smile
theem
hmm... don't have snow in my zone !!
may be that'z y i love snowing... Rolling Eyes