FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Gmail: No more invitation needed

TomS
I don't know where to put that, so please move where you want, Mods.

Now everyone can register at googlemail. Here's the link:

http://mail.google.com/mail/signup

Enjoy
Dimaod
Nice =)
But i think its too late. Smile
Yjaxygames
I think this will make gmail more populair.
Droop
So do you thing Gmail is worth it? Do you know what the limits are as far as size of mail you can send and receive and how big your/my accounts will be?? (how much total space do u get) . . . thanks Happy positng -Droop
Yjaxygames
The space varies. Look at www.gmail.com you will see how much space you have. Currently it is 2814.963009 but it updates every second.
Ragerin
I got my GMail few months after the beta opened. One of my friends was a tester, and he could invite 5 more people to beta test it. And luckily, he invited me. Smile

I really think, GMail is the best free mail service on the whole world wide web. I NEVER get spam in my inbox, and I'll never have to worry about the size limit. I am even able to use GMail as a temporary filehost - comes in good handy, when I have to print essays for my teacher (I have no printer, so I just mails the essay to myself, and prints it from my schools computer).
crimson_aria
I got mine when it was still only 5 invites too. My friend was kind enough to invite me. Wow, so no more invites needed?I still have a lot of invites available in my gmail account XD Thanks for the info.
apple
Hey,
I've been using gmail for a while now and I am completely happy with it...
I love that it reloads for itself and it got the instant chat built right into the inbox.

Thus far I have not been disappointed.
Laughing Laughing
Ray Gravin
I got an invitation during the beta testing from a good friend of mine too. I felt really cool : ) I'm kinda sad that its open to everyone now. It only felt exclusive for a few months anyway. Its amazing how fast 5 invites can spread the service.
Blaster
hmm i went to sign up for gtalk and was able to sign up at gmail like a long time ago. Close to a year ago actually
jabapyth
thanks for the heads up Smile
They havnt taken the "# invites left" off the 'invite a friend' widget yet. are they suppressing themselves? Laughing
Da Rossa
Droop wrote:
So do you thing Gmail is worth it? Do you know what the limits are as far as size of mail you can send and receive and how big your/my accounts will be?? (how much total space do u get) . . . thanks Happy positng -Droop

Man, Gmail is the second best thing they ever invented. Just behind Firefox, and I'm not the only one to agree. This is one more evidence:
http://www.pcworld.com/reviews/article/0,aid,120763,pg,12,00.asp

So, I'm wondering why exactly the Google men made the Gmail be invite-only in the beginning. Why?
TomS
Da Rossa wrote:
Droop wrote:

Man, Gmail is the second best thing they ever invented. Just behind Firefox, and I'm not the only one to agree. This is one more evidence:

So, I'm wondering why exactly the Google men made the Gmail be invite-only in the beginning. Why?

Because it was only beta. And still is. They add new features all the time.
toughtrio
Yeah gmail makes you feel that you have all the space in the world to manage your emails, and the text they show on the main page "Never feel the need to delete any email msg" also fits exactly into my situation.

I like Gmail, and it really is one of the best things out there.

Warm Regards,
Yjaxygames
Gmail is really great, and the layout is very clean, no useless stuff.
Scorpio
Yjaxygames wrote:
no useless stuff.

Like ads you mean? Laughing
TomS
toughtrio wrote:
[...] and the text they show on the main page "Never feel the need to delete any email msg" also fits exactly into my situation.

That's right. But I do delete spammails though. For what should I keep them? Only because there's no need to delete?
Senseless Spam is senseless Spam. No matter if it makes my mailspace explode or not.
hunnyhiteshseth
TomS wrote:

Enjoy

Now it doesnt matter as now around 90% of people who had email accounts have moved to gmail.
Da Rossa
TomS wrote:
Da Rossa wrote:
Droop wrote:

Because it was only beta. And still is. They add new features all the time.

So, the invitation system was to prevent a crash if many people decided to create storage accounts. Is there an announcement of when are the beta finishes?
Josso
Surely they mean @googlemail.com in the signup form - due to the court case. I treasure my old @gmail.com address... it would be no fun if they became availible again Laughing
sibbahz
I never got the point keeping it invites only but giving everyone 100+ invites.
It was in beta far too long as well!
TomS
Da Rossa wrote:
So, the invitation system was to prevent a crash if many people decided to create storage accounts. Is there an announcement of when are the beta finishes?

Dunno. Keep watchin Google-News...

Josso wrote:
Surely they mean @googlemail.com in the signup form - due to the court case. I treasure my old @gmail.com address... it would be no fun if they became availible again Laughing

No matter if gmail.com or googlemail.com
You're reachable under both domains.

username@gmail.com
username@googlemail.com
nilsmo
Basically everyone has invites. Might as well have this process. I like how they require you to activate by cell phone to reduce gmail abuse. Google rocks!
theem
thanks for the info..... Exclamation

[Edit].... hahah check the link that you provided man... it isn't working... its still in beta sections !!
there are still only two ways to signup !!!

Quote:
2. How do I sign up?

You can get a Gmail account if you're invited by someone who already has one. Or, you can sign up for an account using your mobile phone.

You can click on the link and see for your self... Click here
Laughing
TomS
theem wrote:
thanks for the info..... Exclamation

[Edit].... hahah check the link that you provided man... it isn't working... its still in beta sections !!
there are still only two ways to signup !!!

Quote:
2. How do I sign up?

You can get a Gmail account if you're invited by someone who already has one. Or, you can sign up for an account using your mobile phone.

You can click on the link and see for your self... Click here
Laughing

The link works fine for me. I don't know what you're doing, but believe me. You don't need an invitation or a mobile phone anymore!
goutha
Well, every body does have a gmail email...

Then this opening does not change anything!
deneb.star
I guess that as everybody was already finding it easy to open a account as there were so many invitations (I still have all mine !), that opening it completely was just a way to establish the fact officially. Doesn't change much for anybody at all, they just made it slowly, which is nice because it is the perfect way to be sure that technically, everything was ready.
Seiji
I got gmail long ago. I don't even use it much and still have 99 invites left I think.
Echo Printer
Yeah, Gmail is a good choice for an email account. I've completely stopped using my ISP's email account, Gmail is more reliable and and I won't have to worry about changing my email address if I move somewhere else, which has been a lot lately. Regardless, I especially like that they let you use POP. POP access is free so I get to use it with my own email software. Cool
davey
Gmail rocks! I've been using it since the good old days when a Gmail invite could fetch some $$$ on ebay. Razz
erlendhg
TomS wrote:

Enjoy

That has been a fact for quite some time already.
You just hadn't the signup form, and had to register for a google account on some other page.

I got my invitation from my eldest brother, who got his from his younger brother (also my elder brother) who got his from a friend, during the beta period Smile
darrenpaul
woohoo, love gmail. I locked myself out of my last account though.
eku53ru
Whoa, I just noticed that link the other day, too. XD I wonder though - why haven't they removed the invites? It seems a bit silly to keep them implemented if signing up with the service is no longer exclusive.

Though then again, I managed to get a Gmail account through an Google advertisement to sign up for Gmail. It was slightly weird, but I'm just happy I have an account.
mantasx
Wait this means you don't have to SMS no more, because I don't have a cell Embarassed . Thx TomS, for telling, because I wanted an acount on g-mail.
goutha
mantasx wrote:
Wait this means you don't have to SMS no more, because I don't have a cell Embarassed . Thx TomS, for telling, because I wanted an acount on g-mail.

This means you can open a new gmail account without any invitation from any gmail account holder.
welshsteve
I've been using Gmail since the early days of it's Beta, and I think it is the best free e-mail service on the web. I have three accounts. One for my freelance web design, a personal one, and another I use for signing up to online forums, website logins etc (to keep it seperate from my private email). It's pop3 and forwarding features are also excellent, as I can track all my gmail accounts using one porgram, such as Mozilla Thunderbird or Outlook.

I also like the label system, as it does away with the need to create folders and move the messages into it's relevant folder. Plus of course there's the mass amount of space you get.
goutha
Well, I guess that there's no more interest to accord to Gmail...
godam64
im using gmail as secondary email account aftr yahoomail.
Jayfarer
Considering how users have had at least 50 invites for months, this should make little to know difference. It's pretty hard not to find someone with an invite.
cybernie
Gmail is a good free email service prodiver... much better than Yahoo! specially when it comes to spam mail management. Got lots of spam mails on my Yahoo! eventhough my spamguard is on.

Also, with Gmail, you can track who among your contacts is online...
seagullspirit
Gmail pwns !! I love Gmail but there's one thing they should work to make it absolutely perfect in my opinion and that is adding more comprehensive email filters but overall no other webmail comes anywhere near close to gmail.
Fake
Thanks for the news, will get myself one too
pashmina
now i think the people's first choice will be gmail than choosing other free email services.
glabase
Open for business i see Laughing

shame about the email address though... @gmail.com is much more catchy than @googlemail.com but i suppose it still does the job!
TomS
Google will be active in any services on web, someday.
When they start domainregistration I suppose they offer shared domains for mails.
You pay less if you share your maildomain with google and other users can register mail@yourdomain.ext

Many sites offer such things and I really hope google will too soon.
shwetanshu
i still remeber when i saw ppl selling gmail invites on bazaar.com (now ebay).. it was then only i wanted to try it and now i m absolutely in love with it!!

anywayz for me... gmail became open that day only, when they started giving 100 invites to all users!!
David_Pardy
I've had Gmail for probably 6 months now (actually it's probably been a little longer). It's definitely the best free email service out of Yahoo, Hotmail and Gmail.

I'll never fill the space though, I have two company email address, three yahoo addresses and a hotmail account. My Gmail account is being treated as a sacred entity which won't be spoiled!
vertigoflow
I've tried a few different online email services and like Gmail the best by far. The ads are pretty easy to ignore, unlike Yahoo which has those huge ugly ads everywhere. It's far easier to use than hotmail. Also, you can use it for you email for your domains, and reply from that email address. The spam filters work a lot better than any of the other services.

Even though they're letting people sign up for free now, I still see the box where I can invite people. I wonder when that will be phased out.
Scott
Why has GMail been in beta for so long? Seems quite silly.
mgx_virtual
Because Google wanted to make sure the system works perfect and is secure enough prior to letting it out of beta stage.
As for no more invites, realistically before also most people who wanted a GMail account could get one easily, especially in last few months since a lot of people had accounts and were allowed up to 100 invites...
welshsteve
Good bye Hotmail. HOORAY!!!!!! Smile
Arseniy
Wow... I have no invitations left and it's working to my friends now=))
Yes... goodbye every other free email... except for ones with funny subdomains and 30gigs.com Laughing
Nike
Google mail RULEZZ !!! BEST Very Happy
vertigoflow
One thing about google mail that always cracked me up.

When I check my spam folder to see if any false-positives slipped through (not often, but it does happen.) The "relevant ads," or rss feed or whatever it it always show recipes for spam dishes.

Do you think someone at Google has a sense of humor?
The_Gamer294
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! i JUST got an invitation.. it made me feel special Sad
knux
Dont forget the invites that were circulating around the p2p for the 3 month opening ^_^ but anyways yea i saw that last night when i opened my account and it looks like it is coming out nicely.
helladamnleet
This is just great. One of the things I loved about gmail was the exclusivity. Now everyone and their uncle will have a gmail account, and it won't be special anymore.

Oh well, next internet fad please Laughing Laughing
Zug Zug
I have a gmail account and I love it. I think it's cute when you have no spam it says "hoory no spam!" It seems no matter how many e-mails and stuff I store on that account I can never take up my space. Which I like a lot.
alkutob
TomS wrote:

Enjoy

Thank you for the information ...

I like Gmail
darvit
I first got GMail from the special Blogger.com user invitation/beta testing. Very Happy

After reading the previous posts, I just realized how sought-after those GMail invites were... :O I had no clue! Laughing I only sent one GMail invitation in my entire life.

I like it a lot, but am I the only who gets spam on my inbox?
JJGY
The free pop3 access made Gmail the easiest choice for me. It gives you plenty of server space as well so maintaining email volumes on both a computer and the server is really simple.
skygaia
I got my Gmail few months after the beta opened. One of my friends invited me. So I have used Gmail since then. I think it's not bad. But I don't know what different it is from other mail service.
JBotAlan
GMail is okay, but I hate the spam filter.

I pull all my mail down with POP3. I filter spam and viruses on my side, but I can't get past their filters. Their spam filter is a terrible piece of crap, but there is no way to turn it off; it keeps grabbing false positives.

But I do love my GMail account. I got it by invite a few years ago and have used it as my primary ever since.

I don't think it's ready for primetime, though. There really should be a spam filter OFF switch!

JBot
molif
gmail is great... was using hotmail, and it sucks.. moved to gmail and been with gmail ever since...... great mail provider..
windrei
finally, the gmail group comes up this free idea.... they should do it long time ago. How come invitation is needed in order to get their email ??? although their email space is quite large, i dont see there is a need to keep the email signing so secret. Thanks to yahoo and hotmail that making their email storage space so large now which can compare to gmail.. otherwise, i dont think google will let it free for people to sign up.
So cool~~