FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

View Similar Topics

bgillingham
I have been looking around for this for my own phpBB forums, but I haven't found it as an official MOD (perhaps, my searching skills are fading). The code would be pretty simple, as I am almost ready to test the code I wrote to my forums (it changes the viewtopic.php and viewtopic_body.tpl files, and modifies the "posts" table to be FULLTEXT indexed).

I know that vBulletin has this "Similar Topics" display on every "viewtopic" page.

Let me know if board admin / moderators are interested in acquiring this code from me once I am finished.
ocalhoun
Wouldn't that strain server resources by searching for similar topics every time a topic is made (or even every time it is viewed)?
bgillingham
ocalhoun wrote:
Wouldn't that strain server resources by searching for similar topics every time a topic is made (or even every time it is viewed)?

Well, certainly it would add a small amount of strain. Do you know how many SQL queries are run every time that any of these forum pages are displayed anyway? The answer is lots of queries.

I guess that the FULLTEXT index would add a bit of a strain the database, especially when it comes to inserting a new record (the index must be updated). These updates can be scheduled in a CRON job or similar scheduler.

I really don't have a large forum - so this impact is nearly negligible for me.

The trade-off is the nice functionality and usability improvement. I really think that having quick links to all similar topics listed at the bottom topics would increase user posts. I just implemented this at my forums if anybody wants to see what I mean. Here's a real topic from my forums that actually has some similar results: Audio editing software