FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Anyone here use Beryl or Compiz?

Daniel15
I've recently been trying out Beryl, and I must say, it's absolutely awesome Smile. Think Vista has some cool graphical effects? Wait until you see Beryl! Very Happy.

Has anyone else tried it, and what do you think of it?

Here's some relatively recent screenshots (click for big version). I've changed it a bit since these screenshots, but they're still fairly recent (will post some newer ones soon).

Desktop Cube:

Snow plugin:

Xwinwrap + GLMatrix screensaver (not really related, but still cool Smile):

EDIT: I may also post a video of the wobbly windows plugin (when you drag a window around, it wobbles Smile)
ezekiel_rage
I have been toying around with Compiz and beryl for sometime now.

I must agree that they are awesome, especially beryl.

May I ask what distro you are using, I am using openSuSe primarily.

Since compiz already comes bundled with openSuSe 10.2

But after some time i have deactivated beryl.

I just use compiz now.

The beryl effects gets old after a while.

Compiz my be comparatively simple but more elegant and professional looking.

Regards
Daniel15
Quote:

I'm using Ubuntu Smile

Quote:

The thing I like best about Beryl is the theme manager, and the settings manager. As far as I can remember, Compiz doesn't have an application for changing its settings?
ezekiel_rage
Daniel15 wrote:
Quote:

I'm using Ubuntu Smile

Quote:

The thing I like best about Beryl is the theme manager, and the settings manager. As far as I can remember, Compiz doesn't have an application for changing its settings?

If you are using KDE,

Have you tried this package from kde-app http://kde-apps.org/content/show.php?content=51201
Daniel15
ezekiel_rage wrote:
Daniel15 wrote:
Quote:

I'm using Ubuntu Smile

Quote:

If you are using KDE,

Have you tried this package from kde-app http://kde-apps.org/content/show.php?content=51201

No, I don't use KDE, I use GNOME.

Anyways, Beryl comes with its own settings manager... Look at the screenshot at http://wiki.beryl-project.org/wiki/Image:BSM0.2.0.png Smile
reddishblue
*sigh* this really should be in the operating systems forum (now I'm moderating the moderators lol), anyway what are the specs to run those.
Daniel15
reddishblue wrote:
*sigh* this really should be in the operating systems forum (now I'm moderating the moderators lol), anyway what are the specs to run those.

I thought it's better here, as Beryl is a program that runs on Linux... If it was an operating system itself, it would go in the Operating Systems forums Wink

Quote:
anyway what are the specs to run those.

Beryl can run fine on most graphics cards, even something as old as the Intel i810 (which is quite a horrible onboard graphics chip). My friend uses it on a Geforce Go 6150 (low-end onboard chip) with no problems at all. I personally use it on an ATI Mobility Radeon X1400 (midrange).

You're best off looking on the Beryl site (www.beryl-project.org) for more exact spefications (including CPU, memory, etc.)
{name here}
I don't use beryl or compiz. If I'm on a Unix system I prefer rio or fluxbox for simplicity and useability - they aren't memory hogs, and they can get the job done very quickly if you know how to use them(rio uses mouse chording which makes it a nimble window manager).
tony
beryl is a lot of fun. however, i am just a gnome-user. i don actually need all the special effects - sorry Sad
Arno v. Lumig
I do use it on FreeBSD 6.1. I use it on XFCE4.4.

My GeForce4 MX420 (144MHz core, 64MB RAM) runs it just fine (although there is no anti-aliasing...). It's not laggy at all and I barely notice a decrease in speed. My CPU is an AMD Athlon XP 2000+, and I have 512MB of SD RAM...
The requirements are really low, and it looks great Smile

Greetz,
Arno
ashik
hey.. guys.. i run an AMD thunderbird 1.2GHz cpu, 384 MB ram, 64MB GeForce 4 MX440..

when i activate Beryl, xserver crashes.. i use Kubuntu... can neone help..
JayBee
The best plugins I like is "Wobbly Windows"
because everyone who used my laptop for a while said
"Hey, whats that Surprised , its great Smile "

The "wow" thing is also xinerama

Now I use only three viewports

ashik wrote:
hey.. guys.. i run an AMD thunderbird 1.2GHz cpu, 384 MB ram, 64MB GeForce 4 MX440..

when i activate Beryl, xserver crashes.. i use Kubuntu... can neone help..

You need Xorg 7.1 server with AIGLX extension enabled (or XGL)
GeForce 4 MX440 will work only with latest nvidia-glx-1.0.8178 and nvidia-kernel-1.0.8178
ashik
Smile

thank u very much...

i will try tat soon...
yjwong
Has anyone tried enabling Full Scene Anti-Aliasing for the ATI cards (X1000 series)? I'm using the fglrx proprietary kernel module, and enabling FSAA causes screen corruption in Xgl. Oh, if your battery life seems lower after enabling Xgl, try using aticonfig to set the POWERplay options.
Daniel15
JayBee wrote:

The "wow" thing is also xinerama

Now I use only three viewports

Nice Smile

yjwong wrote:
Has anyone tried enabling Full Scene Anti-Aliasing for the ATI cards (X1000 series)? I'm using the fglrx proprietary kernel module, and enabling FSAA causes screen corruption in Xgl.

No, I haven't tried FSAA, although I may soon.
I have a Mobility Radeon X1400

Quote:
Oh, if your battery life seems lower after enabling Xgl, try using aticonfig to set the POWERplay options.

POWERplay doesn't seem to work for me:
Code:

daniel@daniel-laptop:~$ aticonfig  --list-powerstates
Error: Unable to obtain POWERplay information.

EDIT 2: OK, I fixed it (seems like it doesn't work under XGl, it works fine if I log in with the normal GNOME session)... But, what is all this? Razz
Code:

daniel@daniel-laptop:~$ aticonfig  --list-powerstates
    core/mem      [flags]
-----------------
  1: 209/135 MHz  [low voltage]
  2: 392/252 MHz
* 3: 432/396 MHz  [default state]