FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Warcraft III>WOW

Nerdlings
I personally like strategy games much better than RPGs. Just the fact that if you lose your account, you still have your skill. Anyone else here play? My account name is panda-cowl @ Azeroth if you want to AT or something
Mokona
i personaly like RPG more...but whatever floats your boat
Ghost900
WOW beats Warcraft 3 in my opinion but I do like to play Dota sometimes and I know that is Warcraft 3 but I like being one person more than an army so that makes me like Dota since I am just a Hero and not controlling a mob.
Geminh
Its all a matter of preference from person to person. I wouldn't say any is better then the other, because they are both great in their own respects. WOW is definately one of the best RPG's available at the moment for the PC, while WC3 is still one of the most popular Strategy/Online game in the world!
KattPappa
As Geminh said, you can't really compare a strategy game with a MMORPG. When i play online, I play more for the community part then the 'own all the other's with my skills'-part and therefore i'd choose WoW over WCIII.
When you do something good on WC3 all you get is a bunch of insults from the one you beat or just a plain 'gg'. But when you do something good on a MMORPG like WoW or Tibia people will appriciate what you did Smile
apexcaliber
It really is apples and oranges. But I do enjoy both genres. I am really big into the the lore shared by both games and I go back to the RTS series from time to time ju8st for that fact alone. Actually I still need to beat WC3;)
Kitten Kong
There are many many games that I consider far superior to WOW, but that doesn't change the fact that I have spent at least 100 times longer playing WOW than any other game ever.
mjohnson
I like playing RPGs such as Diablo II,red alert is my favorite one too.
Jakob [JaWGames]
Actually I love both RPGs and strategygames but I am playing a lot more on the strategygames because of the simple reason that you don't have to invest a such huge amount of time in them...
moonblade
Well, everyone seems to have said it already... WoW and WC3 are completely different things, and both are by far not the best representatives of their genres, even if they are done so as to suit the largest audiences. I like both game personally, but, as someone said before here, there are games much better than those in both genres.
Bobol
Me i prefer Warcraft III, simply because in this game you need REAL skill, more than mobbing hours and hours.

But its right wacraft III and WoW are different things, i dislike MMORPG so that normal but i think everybody have to make his own opinion Very Happy
altknia
I like most rpg games
jay84h
I like strategy games, however nothing is wrong with RPG games, if I happen to try a game out and really like it, than I would stick to it, it really does depend on which game it is. For example: Age of Empires, I cannot play that because I wouldn't be able to get into the game, I am not too fond on how it looks. I like strategy games such as WarCraft III & StarCraft.
Osmodius
The problem with WoW is that it isn't competitive. Gear, luck and latency are all more important factors in WoW PvP than skill. I've yet to meet, for example, a competitive FPSer who enjoyed WoW.
rambo
i love rpgs and strategy but i think i like rpg the most becase most of the time when jou play a rpg jou can upgrade jour skills and thats wath i want to do in a game Very Happy its cool
Sparda
Strategy games have been my favorite games ever since I was 9 years old. I have found that Warcraft III is my favorite one. I also play WoW, but I still play my favorite game Warcraft III. I play all the strategy type maps on Warcraft III including the Melee maps.
ShawnKelfonne
I like Warcraft 3 more just because I can have some quick fun and get a few maps in within a short time, unlike the hours long play that WoW demands to get the good stuff at high levels. My friends and I still spend at least one day a month holding a complete WC3 day where we play DotA and various other mods for hours on end.

Good times.
divinitywolf
yeah i've heard that WOW is really good but i dont want to pay for a game monthly.
jay84h
divinitywolf wrote:
yeah i've heard that WOW is really good but i dont want to pay for a game monthly.

Same here, you should not be able to pay for a game month like a bill. If you purchase a game than the online feature should come with it.
Tuxy
Why say people shouldn't pay for it? It's their own decision. I played WoW for a short period of time and it was worth it. Monthly fees almost guarantee updates, servers near your location, support etc.
jay84h
Monthly fees guarantee? That makes no sense. Look at Counter-Strike for example, one of the most popular games of all time, and still popular. That comes out with countless updates, servers located everywhere around the world, and support if needed.
Nutteloos
But, counterstrike doesn't come with guarantees. You don't pay so you aren't entitled to anything.

Believe me, I once was one of those people saying: 'no way I'm paying a monthly fee for a game'. Well here I am.

But, to stay on topic: I'm surprised people think no skill is involved in playing a MMORPG. Your level has only so much to tell about whether you're going to beat someone up. You're right about the latency part though, but that's the very same deal with RTS played online. Or FPS. Or any online game.
Patriot Players
Its impossible to compare the two games. They are different in so many that its really just a matter of which genre you prefer. I personally am not a WoW fan, not because of the gameplay but because of the fact that the game has the worst community of any MMO I have ever played. I did enjoy WCIII though despite the battlenet kiddies.
Osmodius
Nutteloos wrote:
I'm surprised people think no skill is involved in playing a MMORPG. Your level has only so much to tell about whether you're going to beat someone up. You're right about the latency part though, but that's the very same deal with RTS played online. Or FPS. Or any online game.

Actually level is probably the most important factor, since someone at level 70 should have far superior gear to someone at level 69. But you're right when the levels are, for example, 64 vs 63.

Before the expansion completely ruined the game, I played several well-geared level 60 classes through periods of overpoweredness. Hunter, warrior, shaman, rogue, to name a few. Winning in PvP was usually as easy as pressing three or four buttons. It's true that completely different buttons may have to be pressed to beat different classes--especially for hunters, and for warlocks to kill efficiently (because for a warlock, at least when I played, you could select your abilities at random and probably still win) -- but most classes didn't require more than five abilities to win.

As for the latency thing, the problem with World of Warcraft was that all servers were (and as far as I know, still are) in the United States. Blizzard introduced servers labeled "Oceanic", they were located in the same place and just used a different time zone. Anyone in Australia/New Zealand had a significant disadvantage. Anyone thinking "People down there just shouldn't have bought the game" are wrong, it was Blizzard's mistake to sell a game down there that had no support for the region.
silverdown
I have always wanted to play/try WOW however I do not want to get into a game you have to pay to play. It is not really a good idea to get into a game then have to play to purchase the game and then have to pay for playing the game on the servers. My friend owns the game and he pays it for what I do not know why. I seen it being played but I think it is stupid really to pay to play on the servers. Here at walmart it is $39.99 for the game and that is a lot of money to some people. It may $14.99 a month but that is not really that great. The game should be $9.99 and then a one time fee of $39.99 to use the servers.Ill just stick with my Half-life, Team Fortress Classic.
Stoicus
Nerdlings wrote:
I personally like strategy games much better than RPGs. Just the fact that if you lose your account, you still have your skill. Anyone else here play? My account name is panda-cowl @ Azeroth if you want to AT or something

Ill have to agree with you TFT is soo much fun 2v2 random or playing Dota you can spend all night doing it and the time flys. With wow your more sitting around doing nothing till a raid starts. If only they could find a way to setup Raids with the same functions that realm pvp works with.!
Osmodius
Stoicus wrote:
If only they could find a way to setup Raids with the same functions that realm pvp works with.!

Heheh, raiding was hard enough with 30 decent players and 10 retards. Would you really wanna try it with 39? xD
realkiller
ok so let me get this rite .... you go out buy the damn game then you have to pay monthly to pay for a game you just brought? omg that sucks yall should go get guildwars lol so much better Razz
hicham_the_webmaster
Quality games justify their costs. So I think it's normal.

Personnaly I like very much Warcraft and it's "virual reality".
DivineConclave
Mokona wrote:
i personaly like RPG more...but whatever floats your boat

Agreed...

Besides, the title of this thread is a little... off.
You can't exactly compare an MMORPG to an RTS. It's two completely different styles of game.
DivineConclave
realkiller wrote:
ok so let me get this rite .... you go out buy the damn game then you have to pay monthly to pay for a game you just brought? omg that sucks yall should go get guildwars lol so much better Razz

Yes. Fifteen bucks a month is cheaper than:

A) Going to the bar once a week (or once a month for that matter)
B) Going to the arcade
C) Going to the movies (after popcorn, pop, etc)

as well as a plehtora of other common things to do. In fact, MMOing is probably one of the lease expensive hobbies there is. And sorry about the GuildWars thing... but... umm... it sucks. Wink
trinnyhiggs
See yet again another game that you have to buy then have to pay to play it how sad is that thats anoying its like buying a dvd and paying again to watch it its anoying and wrong i think my personal apinion