FRIHOST • FORUMS • SEARCH • FAQ • TOS • BLOGS • COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Topic Title On Posting Page

ninjakannon
I think this would be pretty simple to implement, plus it would be well worth it in my opinion.

Quite a few times I have clicked "Reply" and then become a little sidetracked. Upon returning to the page to reply I'll have forgotten exactly what the topic was about.
Furthermore, I sometimes like to read the topic title again, this helps me think of more to say on the subject - just like people often read the question several times through in exams.

So what are your views on this?
MrBlueSky
If you scroll down when replying you can see the topic title, but I admit it isn't very easy or user-friendly Smile
ninjakannon
MrBlueSky wrote:
If you scroll down when replying you can see the topic title, but I admit it isn't very easy or user-friendly Smile

You can? I still can't see it and I've scoured the page; is this a case of me missing something that's right under my nose?
Hogwarts
ninjakannon wrote:
MrBlueSky wrote:

You can? I still can't see it and I've scoured the page; is this a case of me missing something that's right under my nose?

It's down the bottom under Topic Review.

As it has been said.. It's not very user friendly though. I just hold down CTRL and press the back button to see what the topic is.
ninjakannon
Oh right, yes. What happens, though, if the first post isn't in the 'Topic Review' box? Then you really won't be able to find it, you're right about it not being very user friendly.

So I still stand by my suggestion - I'd love it if it was implemented, although I don't hold out much hope.
pashmina
I like the idea too. I sometime get confused too.
tidruG
Well, it's not that difficult to scroll the Topic Review around to reach the first post.
I agree that this may get just a little cumbersome for threads that are really long, but once you get used to it, it's not really that big a deal...

About putting the topic title in place of "Post a reply", that's not a bad idea either... I don't see it affecting anyone to a great deal, so, why not?
We'll just wait to see what Bondings' thoughts are on the matter.
ninjakannon
tidruG wrote:
Well, it's not that difficult to scroll the Topic Review around to reach the first post.

To get to the bottom of the Topic Review section all you need to do is click in it and press End, and hey presto, you're there!

The problem occurs when you're replying to a really long topic, as the Topic Review box only has a certain number of posts in there - I'm not sure how many. Therefore, the first post isn't always included so you won't be able to find the topic title.

tidruG wrote:
About putting the topic title in place of "Post a reply"...

Yeah, I like that idea - and that's what I'd really like. I mean, you're not exactly going to wonder what page your on, unless you've never used forums before.
tidruG
ninjakannon wrote:
The problem occurs when you're replying to a really long topic, as the Topic Review box only has a certain number of posts in there - I'm not sure how many. Therefore, the first post isn't always included so you won't be able to find the topic title.

Hmm... that's strange.... because I think that the topic review is supposed to show everything, i.e. every post in the thread upto yours. (I could be wrong, though... I'll check up on this and let you know)
william
I was actually going to come and suggest this, too, but ninjakannon suggested it before me. Wink It really isn't too hard to do so, as mentioned above. And what was said that you can't see all the posts under topic review, it's true. There is a limit to the number of posts and, in the longer threads (more than two pages), you can't see the first post. You only see the 30 most recent posts.

So yeah, I'm with this suggestion.
simplyw00x
The problem is that this involves changing template files which takes time; something Bondings doesn't have a great deal of. Learn to love the End key.
ocalhoun
^ Even using the [End] key doesn't solve the problem on topics with lots of replies.

Either simply remember it (it can't be that hard to remember, can it?), or use the back and forward buttons on the browser successively. (When you do so in Firefox, it retains anything you've typed so far, not sure about other browsers, though.)
mOrpheuS
ocalhoun wrote:
use the back and forward buttons on the browser successively. (When you do so in Firefox, it retains anything you've typed so far, not sure about other browsers, though.)

That's a good one.

Imagine typing a page long post and then going back to the previous page to find out what the topic subject was. Laughing
ninjakannon
mOrpheuS wrote:
ocalhoun wrote:
use the back and forward buttons on the browser successively. (When you do so in Firefox, it retains anything you've typed so far, not sure about other browsers, though.)

That's a good one.

Imagine typing a page long post and then going back to the previous page to find out what the topic subject was. Laughing

Hah! That's good.

I only need to re-check the title if I somehow forget that I'd clicked reply (like I go away to wait for the page to load because server 1 is being slow). It would just be more convenient if the Topic Title was on the posting page. Oh, and IE 6 and 7 both remember what you'd typed in the text boxes, so long as you only go forward and backwards and don’t go to another website. Once I accidentally pressed control + i instead of alt + i (phpbb shortcut for italics) and then pressed enter instead of backspace, as I thought I'd pressed the wrong letter. It loaded the top site in my favourites and I lost a post of about this length - perhaps longer.

Anyway, enough rambling. Razz