FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Valentines Day

unknownc1c
not a relationship, but deffinatly deals with love.

I think it's a load of crap, i really do. It's just another time for women to get what they want from their guy, or in some cases, GUYS. I mean if you don't get them the perfect thing, then they hold it against you for a loong time. It's a win win situation, either you get them something super good, or you make up for it by doing a lot of small things for them over a long period of time >.< lol.

Anyone else agree here?
phyconinja
I think valentines day is great excuse for treating your girl/women good.
take her out, or stay home and cook for her.
a romantic dinner for 2. and if your lucky it could lead to something. Cool
Captain Fertile
My wife and I don't really bother with Valentine's day - we treat each other with gifts and thoughtful treats all year round. So to us this is just a way for stores to make extra cash from other people.

Valentines is great for new and blossoming love and a great way for new relationships to begin though, everyone loves to get a NICE romantic card from a secret admirer, this does not mean a creepy smutty card from a stalker. Rolling Eyes

It is a chance to start a new relationship or a great excuse to kick start a flagging relationship.
bongoman
its just an excuse to sell chocolate and greeting cards
Subsonic Sound
Certainly Valentine's Day has been seized on by greeting card companies, but if you let your cynicism simmer down for a moment, there is the potential for a genuinely nice sentiment there.

What I will say though is that chocolates, soft toys, jewellry... all well and good, but ultimately unimaginative. Be genuinely thoughtful, find a gift that suites the person.

This year I've bought my girlfriend somethign I'm quite convinced she'll adore, but that no company in any way linked to Valentine's Day will get even a penny for. A battle-ready, hand forged, purple-bound katana. Very Happy

Is it slushy and romantic? No. Is it thoughtful, well-suited to the person, and ultimately really cool? Hell yes. The one worry is that she'll get so excited, someone will get hurt. She's the exciteable type. Smile
nikki
I think that the sentiment behind Valentines Day is with good intention.

As with most everything else, it has become commercial and has lost meaning.
Apart from chocolates, roses and stuffed toys, valentines is about demonstrating (in action) love to the person who holds your heart.

Like Captain Fertile said
Quote:
we treat each other with gifts and thoughtful treats all year round

It's a further declaration to the world of what you do / have / share all through the year.
ankur.vatsa
--------------------------------------------
genchan
Rather than start a new thread, I thought I just add it here.

I think Valentine's day is no different from other special days like birthday, mothers day etc. It is a day to remember and cherish your partner. If you despise valentine's day because you give your partner presents any time you want, then maybe you should also despise the other special days too. Coz the same can be said about seeing your mom everyday, so what's the point of having a mother's day.

Still there are a lot of people in this world that is either forgetful or too busy to do something for their partner and it is times like this that reaffirm a couple's relationship.

I do not think its just a day for the guy to spend useless money on their partner or a time for the girl to ask expensive presents from the guy. Valentine's day is not all about presents and money. Coz if you see it that way, then the same can be said about Christmas. And I bet a lot of people will defend that Christmas is not simply about buying gifts or toys for your kids. Sadly, many of these special days have been commercialized so badly people have negative idea towards them.

You know, in Japan, it is the GIRL that gives to the guy on valentine's day. Most of the time, its just a small pack of chocolates with some msgs. I wonder if there is any other country or culture in the world that is like Japan? Does anyone knows?
Chel
If you got a special someone then Valentine's day is Valentine's day!
If you got no one then you just don't care. Rolling Eyes
cavey
unknownc1c wrote:
I mean if you don't get them the perfect thing, then they hold it against you for a loong time.

In that case, I think the girl (or boy) is the problem, not Valentines Day. Me and my boyfriend do not exchange gifts, but make each other cards, and do something romantic. I like this day, but do not use my Visa any more than any other ordinary day.
Nerdlings
Valentines day is basically pressure for the guy to get the right gift.
Subsonic Sound
Wait, back it up... since when is Valentines a day for guys to buy girls gifts? My girlfriend and I buy each other gifts... Or make each other gifts, or something.

Admittedly, Valentines Day just happens to be my birthday. But I'm quite convinced she would even if it wasn't. Smile
pinkpeople
Why should you only threat your girlfriend good on Valentines day?
Every day should be Valentines day!
But you can give her someting special on that day! I said to my girl: no i don't do Valentines day, I think it stupid.
But I'm going to suprise her Wensday.. I can't wait to see the look on her face!
tiel_99
Valentine's Day is over rated. It's just a simple day like any other day.

It's just the mass media who play it up.

I do pity the singles on valentine's day.

I think that whatever you do on Valentines Day, you should do everyday of the year to the one you love. It's meaningless to do it just once a year.

know what? I think it's a very beautiful holiday
molif
i don care what v days means..

all i care about vday is spreading my heartfelt feelings towards my family, friends and anybody in this world who deserves some love..

coz love brings us together, which i can see the world aint having enough love around..
imera
People forgets what valentine is about, it's not gifts and such, just like christmas.
'Valentie is to show the one you love that you love her/him after how long time has passed, or short.

And why girls wan't presents that is expensive I don't know, and I'm a girl. I just have never seen the point in getting something that will probably just lie in a drawer, box or even the garbige in the end.
On valentine I would like just a kiss and I love you from the man I love, not something that will be forgotten soon after.
Those that wan't expesive stuff are greedy.
But valentine day should be every day for the ones you love
Tiger
unknownc1c wrote:
not a relationship, but deffinatly deals with love.

I think it's a load of crap, i really do. It's just another time for women to get what they want from their guy, or in some cases, GUYS. I mean if you don't get them the perfect thing, then they hold it against you for a loong time. It's a win win situation, either you get them something super good, or you make up for it by doing a lot of small things for them over a long period of time >.< lol.

Anyone else agree here?

If your girlfriend gets upset over the present you gave her, and then still want you to make up for it for weeks or months to come, then believe me - she's not the kind of person you want to be going out with. Get away from her fast!

There are a lot of good, beautiful people out there who are alone on Valentine's day. Your girlfriend should be happy she's not alone instead of getting upset about the presents she got.

Valentine's day is very commercialized these days. Some people even feel under pressure to find a Valentine before the day. This is silly.

If you have a love in your life then you can use Valentine's day as a special day to do something extra to show them how much you love them. If you're alone, then enjoy it too! There are times in life when you'll be happy you're single, and there'll be times when you're happy you have someone to share life with!
desertwind
bongoman wrote:
its just an excuse to sell chocolate and greeting cards

And Roses too.

I don't believe in valentines day. It's just another day. Or everyday is a valentines day for me Smile
Captain Fertile
Whatever you think of today -

HAVE A GOOD VALENTINES DAY! Be nice to each other.

For those guys feeling down about being single here are some good things about being that way:

Quote:

Cooking your own meals would be an adventure, not a punishment.

You don't have to explain why you're wearing "that" shirt with "those" pants.

You could leave the toilet seat in any position You damn well please.

You could actually tell the bartender, "If anyone calls, I'm here".

You'd be painting the town instead of the house.

When You get home after work, You don't have to start work again.

The only weeds You'd be concerned with are the ones You're rolling.

You would have saved $372,416.21 in groceries by now.

You'd get to see what Your paycheck looks like.

You'd get to see what Your credit cards look like.

You can see a different face when you wake up in the morning, every day of the week!

Going to a strip club doesn't have to be a covert mission.

Bachelors don't have Mother-in-laws.

You wouldn't have to watch sub-titled French films.

You could go home drunk to sleep, instead of under a bridge.

You could use You own name at hotels.

You wouldn't have a driving instructor grading You every time You go somewhere.

When asked his opinion, a single guy can say "Hell yes, you're fat!".

Keep smiling! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
Daisie
Have a wonderfull Valentine's Day everyone!
Manntis
I think it's a good idea to have a day dedicated to your loved one, but that doesn't mean you only have to be nice to them this day only.
rekluzz
I've never been one to go crazy on Valentines day, since I think that you should carry this day with you all the time for the ones you love. (Personally, I think Hallmark and FTD made up this holiday one day when sales were down one February Laughing )
I made a java slideshow a few years back for a school course I was taking. The theme was 'What is Love?' Here's a recreation that I've temporarily moved to my Frih account. Enjoy!
http://unlockedtome.frih.net/love/valentines.html
kripesh
No Holiday, so whats the use Wink
studsstudio
I avoid valentinesday by giving her my expression of love the day before valentinesday. I believe in the act of surprise. Valentinesday feels like a burden to me.
'You have to act like this especially this day'.
what the heck! I want to decide my own right time and place!
desertwind
Well, as all other typical "xxxxxx Day", a source of income for Card makers and flower dealers and hence promoted by them.

AFAIK, All day is a valentines day for me. I don't have a seperate day for my love. (If i have one).
cvkien
i think valentines day is a appreciate day for couple, means couple use these day to appreciate each other. also it is a day to let couple makes their relationship closer or better. so valentine day's basic concept for me is couple use this day to say out their love if they lack of romantic live. it give them a opportunity to express themselves. also it makes a reason to couple who are seperate from far away to meet each other and spend a wonderful day together. in my country, i didn't see any party or even that celebrate valentine day. and for this year, my girl friend went back to her home town at valentine day. what a say day for me.
Vlien
I've always been waiting for my first Valentine's Day with a boyfriend and this is was indeed the first year... turns out that he thinks its bullsh*t (I can't type that, can I...), crap! :p Well, I had sort of expected him to, but still... Smile the funny thing was, though he's had a couple of girlfriends before me, this was his first Valentine's Day with a girl too.
I texted him early in the morning, just before he had to leave to work. Couldn't just let it pass like that!