FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!


Account Details of Frihost.





Scorpio
I recently was doing a Reverse IP lookup on my domain.

I found that :

290 other sites hosted on this server. [server 2]

Also,

68 other sites were hosted on server 1. [Apart from Donutey's site, which was the one I used for the check]

Another such tool told me that 316 domains were pointing toward server 2 and 84 or so to server 1.

If the no. of accounts on server 1 is around 90 and server 2 is indeed 300 or so, then why is the load not being equally distributed?

Also, Is this the reason for sites on server 2 suffering time outs apart from the occasional stupid user putting bad scripts?

If that may be the case, why are new accounts still being added to server 2?

Or is it that server 2 can hold more capacity than server 1?

Please explain.
Animal
These numbers aren't even close to what's really hosted on Frihost - they are way off. However, I can't go into any more detail than that:
Bondings wrote:
scotty wrote:
Just out of curiosity how many accounts are there on the server?

I tried to keep those numbers private, all I can say is that it is definately above 1000.

Bondings said this in October 2006. Linky.
Daniel15
Quote:
Another such tool told me that 316 domains were pointing toward server 2 and 84 or so to server 1.

That's the problem - It counts known domains. A lot of the accounts are subdomains, which aren't counted.
It could just be that more people on server 2 are using their own domains, whereas people on server 1 tend to use subdomains Wink

Quote:
all I can say is that it is definately above 1000.

Wow, this is really nice to know. I thought that 500 accounts would overload a AMD Dual Opteron server (not FriHost, but a server I help run), but I guess I was wrong Razz
Scorpio
Daniel15 wrote:

Wow, this is really nice to know. I thought that 500 accounts would overload a AMD Dual Opteron server (not FriHost, but a server I help run), but I guess I was wrong Razz


IF, indeed all 1000 or more sites are active and running and using a minimum bandwidth every day, then what you say will indeed happen.

Since most accounts lie vacant or unused or less frequented, the problem does not occur I presume
tidruG
scorpio wrote:
Daniel15 wrote:

Wow, this is really nice to know. I thought that 500 accounts would overload a AMD Dual Opteron server (not FriHost, but a server I help run), but I guess I was wrong Razz


IF, indeed all 1000 or more sites are active and running and using a minimum bandwidth every day, then what you say will indeed happen.

Since most accounts lie vacant or unused or less frequented, the problem does not occur I presume

Well, it's not a question of a 1000 sites running at the same time and using up a certain bandwidth or using up certain amount of space... the problems arise when even one single website starts running a script or a set of scripts that completely overload the server... for instance, there was this one website that was sending out thousands of emails (automated), which overloaded the server. Abusing cron jobs can also overload the server, etc etc... things like that.

And well, even though there are less sites hosted on Server 1, the load is pretty much equivalently divided because the forums are hosted on Server 1 and since now the forums have become quite large, they put quite a bit of demand on the Server.
Bondings
Scorpio, small personal domains aren't counted by that tool, because it doesn't know that they exist. And we have a lot of those. And all the subdomains aren't counted either.

You can crash 10 big servers with one big website and put 10,000 almost empty websites on a simple laptop without any load problems. It's the traffic, mysql and that stuff that matters.
Related topics
Does anyone know how to get your site to appear higher ?
Account Cancellation
:?: IP's from ns1.frihost.net and ns2.frihost.net
Deleting my account
Account Support : Question Regarding Copyrights
[RESOLVED]Resend Account Details Please!
Review Frihost
A demo account
Change account settings yourself
Frihost Directory - Please lock
A question about php on my frihost account
mail()
Hiccups on "Your Account" page
Coin status not visible in Account Details
Thank you Admin but 2 more Issues.
Reply to topic    Frihost Forum Index -> Support and Web Hosting -> Frihost Support

FRIHOST HOME | FAQ | TOS | ABOUT US | CONTACT US | SITE MAP
© 2005-2011 Frihost, forums powered by phpBB.