FRIHOST • FORUMS • SEARCH • FAQ • TOS • BLOGS • COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

My Wii Review

BlazeDragon132
Here is a review I written about Wii some time ago:

It is a new year: 2007! Not only did this year bring a new year, but it brought two new consoles: PS3 and Nintendo Wii. I had a X-box 360 for awhile as many of you may have known, so it was wierd going from the classic experience to a whole new one.
Well, the transaction was not that bad. Plenty of the games have been a blast to play. This blog will go in depth about the Wii.

Design:
The design of the Wii is light and small. It feels like carrying a PS2 or N64. The console comes with some useful things like sensor bar, full set for Wiimote, and Stand for the Wii. It also comes with spme useless things like sticky putty for the sensor bar and a stand to hold the stand for the Wiimote (I know, confusing, ain't it?). The Wii is designed also to emulate Gamecube, which this system does a perfect job. There are no errors or problems with any Gamecube game. The Wii sucks the Gamecube and Wii games just like the PS3 does. Even though you think this might get stuck, it never has this problem.

Interface:
The Wii comes with these channels to show you the sections the system has. There is one for games, Miis, photos, shop channel, VC games, and the new Internet Beta and Forecast channels. The channels have a preview once you click it, which is a pretty neat feature.
The Mii channel lets you create basically an avatar of your choosing. The features in this channel is pretty cool letting you change colors, parts, and sizes/positions of the parts. It even lets you change height and weight. The design is not that complex, but it is deep enough to create many different Miis. You can even send your Miis to your friends to have a parade and let them star in games like Wii Play, Wii Sports, and others. This no doubts beat the pictures that 360 and PS3 offer.
The Photo channel is pretty basic. It lets you view photos and edit theme with a feature that resembles Microsoft Paint. You can also organize your photos which comes in handy if you have lots of them. The best part of the channel is how it presents itself, it is a fun tool that lets you mess with your photos.
The Wii Shop channel allows you to shop for classic games ranging from Sega Genesis to Nintendo 64 and it also allows you to download features for Wii such as the Beta Internet browser. The channel is presented very neatly. It lets you see the download content by new releases to a-z order. This section only the problem of sometimes freezing when it loads. While you won't loose your purchases, it is still annoying to hold the power button for 5 seconds.
The Forecast channel is a hit or miss process. It shows you details about weather in your town. The problem is that it doesn't get many lesser known towns. For example, I am going to Starkville, MS to MSU next year. MSU is a college if you don't know. The only place the Forecast channel has for MS is Jackson. So the channel does me no good. If you live in a known city, then the forecast channel is useful in letting you know your weather without having to cut off Wii and turn to Weather Channel. The forecast channel has a feature that lets you have a globe of earth which shows different cities of differents continents, which is the star of this channel.
The Internet browser is in beta mode. It allows you to surf many popular sites like Youtube and Newgrounds. This is very useful if you don't have a computer to call your own. Basic features come with it such as favorites and keyboard. The Wii makes typing easier than PS3 with a feature that allows the system to reconize a word before you type it. For example, you can type GRA and then get choices like "grab", "gravy", or "gravity". The only problem with this is that the Wii has a problem freezing when you browse. It happened to me 3 times while surfing the web. Let us hope they can fix that in the final release.

Controller:
The controller is nothing but perfect. It is simple enough for anyone who has interest in games to pick up and play, but very complex in some things like the Marble Minigame in Zelda: Twilight Princess. The Wiimote uses sensitive motions to move the characters on screen. You can turn it sideways to steer it like a car, use it as a pointer to aim arrows at enemies, and slash it like a sword to slice enemies down. The A button is basically a regular controller pad button. It is hardly used even though it is easily place. The B button is alot more useful. It is a trigger in the back of the Wiimote. You can use this to start aiming an arrow, bowl a bowling ball, or shoot a plunger at rabbids. The start button is in a shape of a + button. It is right next to a select button in a shape of a - button. The house button takes you to an option to go back to the Wii's main menu. This is a standard for all new consoles, so it works for the best. The 1 and 2 button is not used alot, but it comes very handy when you have to hold it sideways. When it is held sideways, 1 acts like A button and 2 acts like a B button of a NES controller.
The Wiimote can also have 2 certain attachments. One of these is the nunchuck. This holds the Z and C buttons, which many games of a higher depth use because it needs more buttons. The nunchuck, unlike the Wiimote, is only tilt sensitive. So you will have to shake it alot more to get it to work. This shows a problem when you have games like one where you have to act like your are paragliding. Since the 2 things are alot different, one hand will be shaking while the other is calm. This is a major problem in using both together. Of course, many games use the nunchuck different than the Wiimote which is the right way to go. Many just use it for the 2 extra buttons or shake to do a certain attack like spin attack or grenade. The analog is also a major reason the nunchuck is used. It allows you to use the Wiimote as a gun and guide the person with the analog in Red Steel.
The other accessory is the classic controller, which costs around 20 bucks. This tool is very useful for all the classic games. The D-Pad feels just like the Wii's, but the controller resembles the classic SNES controller with an extra button on the top (it is dublicated and placed near the other bumper so it can be used with either hand) and two analog sticks in the middle just like the PS2 has. The buttons are all the same shape, which makes it way easier to use than the Gamecube controller. The D-Pad also gives the classic controller the upper advantage because the Gamecube's D-Pad is way too small for anyone and it is placed in an awkward position. The main problem with this is that it is a charm with many older games, but the analog sticks don't feel right for N64 Virtual Console games. You are best off just using a Gamecube controller for those games.

Overall:
Even with some of the bugs, the Wii is a great system for anyone that has ever played a video game. The controls feel like the classic NES, but with motion added to allow you to play a game how it should be played rather than pressing alot of buttons. The graphics on the Wii are underpar because of the lack of HD, but this sacrafice helps the Wii stay under 300 dollars. The main problem of Wii is that the games, besides Zelda and Truama Center, really lack depth that many games on 360/PS3 don't show. There is hope that in the future that developers can make very complex and addictive games for the Wii instead of games like Super Smash Brothers that you play for a bit and get tired of quickly. The Wii is looking to win the console wars with its friendly approach to gaming that attracts hardcore and casual gamers alike. The developers hold the fate in the Wii. I am saying that the Wii has much potential, everyone should buy one to have and play.

9/10

Thought or Opinions?
enygmasoft
BlazeDragon132 wrote:
Here is a review I written about Wii some time ago:

It is a new year: 2007! Not only did this year bring a new year, but it brought two new consoles: PS3 and Nintendo Wii. I had a X-box 360 for awhile as many of you may have known, so it was wierd going from the classic experience to a whole new one.
Well, the transaction was not that bad. Plenty of the games have been a blast to play. This blog will go in depth about the Wii.

Design:
The design of the Wii is light and small. It feels like carrying a PS2 or N64. The console comes with some useful things like sensor bar, full set for Wiimote, and Stand for the Wii. It also comes with spme useless things like sticky putty for the sensor bar and a stand to hold the stand for the Wiimote (I know, confusing, ain't it?). The Wii is designed also to emulate Gamecube, which this system does a perfect job. There are no errors or problems with any Gamecube game. The Wii sucks the Gamecube and Wii games just like the PS3 does. Even though you think this might get stuck, it never has this problem.

Interface:
The Wii comes with these channels to show you the sections the system has. There is one for games, Miis, photos, shop channel, VC games, and the new Internet Beta and Forecast channels. The channels have a preview once you click it, which is a pretty neat feature.
The Mii channel lets you create basically an avatar of your choosing. The features in this channel is pretty cool letting you change colors, parts, and sizes/positions of the parts. It even lets you change height and weight. The design is not that complex, but it is deep enough to create many different Miis. You can even send your Miis to your friends to have a parade and let them star in games like Wii Play, Wii Sports, and others. This no doubts beat the pictures that 360 and PS3 offer.
The Photo channel is pretty basic. It lets you view photos and edit theme with a feature that resembles Microsoft Paint. You can also organize your photos which comes in handy if you have lots of them. The best part of the channel is how it presents itself, it is a fun tool that lets you mess with your photos.
The Wii Shop channel allows you to shop for classic games ranging from Sega Genesis to Nintendo 64 and it also allows you to download features for Wii such as the Beta Internet browser. The channel is presented very neatly. It lets you see the download content by new releases to a-z order. This section only the problem of sometimes freezing when it loads. While you won't loose your purchases, it is still annoying to hold the power button for 5 seconds.
The Forecast channel is a hit or miss process. It shows you details about weather in your town. The problem is that it doesn't get many lesser known towns. For example, I am going to Starkville, MS to MSU next year. MSU is a college if you don't know. The only place the Forecast channel has for MS is Jackson. So the channel does me no good. If you live in a known city, then the forecast channel is useful in letting you know your weather without having to cut off Wii and turn to Weather Channel. The forecast channel has a feature that lets you have a globe of earth which shows different cities of differents continents, which is the star of this channel.
The Internet browser is in beta mode. It allows you to surf many popular sites like Youtube and Newgrounds. This is very useful if you don't have a computer to call your own. Basic features come with it such as favorites and keyboard. The Wii makes typing easier than PS3 with a feature that allows the system to reconize a word before you type it. For example, you can type GRA and then get choices like "grab", "gravy", or "gravity". The only problem with this is that the Wii has a problem freezing when you browse. It happened to me 3 times while surfing the web. Let us hope they can fix that in the final release.

Controller:
The controller is nothing but perfect. It is simple enough for anyone who has interest in games to pick up and play, but very complex in some things like the Marble Minigame in Zelda: Twilight Princess. The Wiimote uses sensitive motions to move the characters on screen. You can turn it sideways to steer it like a car, use it as a pointer to aim arrows at enemies, and slash it like a sword to slice enemies down. The A button is basically a regular controller pad button. It is hardly used even though it is easily place. The B button is alot more useful. It is a trigger in the back of the Wiimote. You can use this to start aiming an arrow, bowl a bowling ball, or shoot a plunger at rabbids. The start button is in a shape of a + button. It is right next to a select button in a shape of a - button. The house button takes you to an option to go back to the Wii's main menu. This is a standard for all new consoles, so it works for the best. The 1 and 2 button is not used alot, but it comes very handy when you have to hold it sideways. When it is held sideways, 1 acts like A button and 2 acts like a B button of a NES controller.
The Wiimote can also have 2 certain attachments. One of these is the nunchuck. This holds the Z and C buttons, which many games of a higher depth use because it needs more buttons. The nunchuck, unlike the Wiimote, is only tilt sensitive. So you will have to shake it alot more to get it to work. This shows a problem when you have games like one where you have to act like your are paragliding. Since the 2 things are alot different, one hand will be shaking while the other is calm. This is a major problem in using both together. Of course, many games use the nunchuck different than the Wiimote which is the right way to go. Many just use it for the 2 extra buttons or shake to do a certain attack like spin attack or grenade. The analog is also a major reason the nunchuck is used. It allows you to use the Wiimote as a gun and guide the person with the analog in Red Steel.
The other accessory is the classic controller, which costs around 20 bucks. This tool is very useful for all the classic games. The D-Pad feels just like the Wii's, but the controller resembles the classic SNES controller with an extra button on the top (it is dublicated and placed near the other bumper so it can be used with either hand) and two analog sticks in the middle just like the PS2 has. The buttons are all the same shape, which makes it way easier to use than the Gamecube controller. The D-Pad also gives the classic controller the upper advantage because the Gamecube's D-Pad is way too small for anyone and it is placed in an awkward position. The main problem with this is that it is a charm with many older games, but the analog sticks don't feel right for N64 Virtual Console games. You are best off just using a Gamecube controller for those games.

Overall:
Even with some of the bugs, the Wii is a great system for anyone that has ever played a video game. The controls feel like the classic NES, but with motion added to allow you to play a game how it should be played rather than pressing alot of buttons. The graphics on the Wii are underpar because of the lack of HD, but this sacrafice helps the Wii stay under 300 dollars. The main problem of Wii is that the games, besides Zelda and Truama Center, really lack depth that many games on 360/PS3 don't show. There is hope that in the future that developers can make very complex and addictive games for the Wii instead of games like Super Smash Brothers that you play for a bit and get tired of quickly. The Wii is looking to win the console wars with its friendly approach to gaming that attracts hardcore and casual gamers alike. The developers hold the fate in the Wii. I am saying that the Wii has much potential, everyone should buy one to have and play.

9/10

Thought or Opinions?

Very nice I agree, but I don't have one yet, still waiting in the mail.
Pryme8
How in debth does the zelda game go wit ht he controler? Does it almost follow the same path you swing, or are they all pre generated attack cycles?

Also have you gotten a chance to play red steels multiplayer? I would like to know how something like that acutaly works out...
Soulfire
I am still very disappointed with graphics. The Wii simply does not cut it in that area of nextgen consoles, but other than that it was thoroughly enjoyable. I'm just a Playstation kid (got my PS3 for Christmas).
QrafTee
Pryme8 wrote:
How in debth does the zelda game go wit ht he controler? Does it almost follow the same path you swing, or are they all pre generated attack cycles?

Also have you gotten a chance to play red steels multiplayer? I would like to know how something like that acutaly works out...

Currently the controls are very basic. They'll get more complex (check Official Wii topic), but in Zelda: TP you just swing and if it remotely detects that you swung the remote, Link will swing in a pre-generated path.

Just wait for that AiLive thing. Then the Wii will reach the new plateau.
Senshida
Soulfire wrote:
I am still very disappointed with graphics. The Wii simply does not cut it in that area of nextgen consoles, but other than that it was thoroughly enjoyable. I'm just a Playstation kid (got my PS3 for Christmas).

Up untill this generation, the Playstations were always the ones with the worst graphics. (had to say it)
Yantaal
i love the start ofyour review

The design of the Wii is light and small. It feels like carrying a PS2 or N64. The console comes with some useful things like sensor bar

the sensor aint usefulll..... more vital

red steel is fun multiplayer,. is to similar to goldeneye nm the 64, but bloody good fun
TarsajumaClan
Good reveiw, I work with a few guys over at www.myarcadeplanet.com
I think they are looking for staff. Message me if you might want to do some reveiws over there.
BlazeDragon132
Pryme8 wrote:

Sadly, it does not follow the same path. It is just based on motion.
There are 3 types of attacks: moving the Wiimote around to swing, stabbing the Wiimote to stab, and pressing A to leap jump. The nunchuck can be used to do the spin attack.
Red Steel's control is based more on where you swing. You use the nunchuck to block the attacks coming at you. You use the Wiimote to attack with swings. Sadly though, you can win most of the fights by rapid slashing. Wario Ware has a better sword defense. You have to actually hold the Wiimote at the direction to block.
The multiplayer for Red Steel is like Goldeneye in some ways. The main problem is that it is hard to fit 4 guys in the same room. It is best to play with 2 or 3. It is pretty standard in shooter in my opinion.
Mokona
360......FTW
falco211
This is Linkhero1 is this the same Blaze I know? If it is then Shocked Well Hi! Good post btw!
Seiji
I enjoy my Wii. I'm sort of bias towards Nintendo so I was definitely going to buy one. Only thing that sucks about Nintendo consoles is that its rare for the to make some serious games that have serious graphics. Most serious game I saw on the GC was Metroid Prime which some people said that was the only reason the GC was worth buying.
Whong
Wii is great, I love my Wii, sadly though I don't have much time to play it now days, since school takes a lot of time! Sad

Just waiting for SSBB, that will be one of the ultimate games for Wii! Wink
QrafTee
You forgot to mention how anything internet related is completely flawed. And how the most fragile nicks during anything online session-related causes it to freeze.
xj975
QrafTee wrote:
You forgot to mention how anything internet related is completely flawed. And how the most fragile nicks during anything online session-related causes it to freeze.

How much of twilight Princess experience on the Wii was dependant on the remote?

I ask because Wii's are still being sold out within the hour that stores get them in here, and I am tossing around just getting it for GC.
QrafTee
xj975 wrote:
QrafTee wrote:

How much of twilight Princess experience on the Wii was dependant on the remote?

I ask because Wii's are still being sold out within the hour that stores get them in here, and I am tossing around just getting it for GC.

You swing the remote and as long as the remote registers a swinging movement (swing down, across, up, whatever) Link will swing his sword in a pre-generated way.
The hookshot uses the remote to target as well as the bow & arrow.

I only got to play for like an hour or so at my friends house so those were the only weapons I got to use.

I heard fishing was pretty good too. Basically... ask someone else for a better insight of the game.
Whong
xj975 wrote:
QrafTee wrote:

The remote defenitely gives it's own edge to the game and it feels much cooler to play it with the remote. It makes the game experience more great! Very Happy
Ducksteina
Very good review!
I also have a Wii and I think the graphics are just fine.
You have so much fun playing Tennis in multiplayer that you don't notice the graphics at all. If I want to have good graphics, I'll play a game at my PC. Graphic means nearly nothing to me. Sure, it shouldn't be totally ugly, but everything else is okay for me if the rest of the game is good.
Wii is the perfect console for me. If I was given a PS3 or Xbox 360, I'd sell it...
Ghengis
In Zelda, "swinging" rapidly degrades to "shaking", once you figure out that any small, rapid movement registers as a sword swing. You basically jerk the controller to replace what would have been a button press. Fantastic game -- the pointer-controlled aiming is the best first-person aiming I've used since a PC mouse -- but the sword controls were a tiny bit disappointing.
DrZero
I know it is rather clichι, especially from Nintendo fans, but graphics really are not as important as people think. For me, good graphics are only icing on the cake: a nice touch, but they don't make-or-break a game. The only time graphics really bother me is if the framerate is choppy or I struggle to see things in the game.

I bought my Wii on day one (November 19 in North America) and I have been loving it. I don't play it all the time--not even everyday--but that's just because there aren't a whole lot of games out yet. I expect that in the coming months the library will continue to grow and more great titles will arrive.
xj975
Ultimately gameplay is more important than graphics.

There have been plenty of pretty games that lost sight of this, thakfully Nintendo and the Wii seem to keep the gameplay concept in clear focus...lets hope that sticks.
futurcat
xj975 wrote:
Ultimately gameplay is more important than graphics.

There have been plenty of pretty games that lost sight of this, thakfully Nintendo and the Wii seem to keep the gameplay concept in clear focus...lets hope that sticks.

Fully agree. If playability is not great, you don't play. Simply like that. If you want great graphics, you go to the cinema.
Everlight
I have a WII and I enjoy playing it.

It's very nice to have a good system, but than again the controls are a tad bit difficult to figure out when you're a beginner but you'll get the hang of it.
drunkenkoz
The only reason I ever liked Nintendo was because of Mario and Zelda, nothing else.