FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Describe your city

XSTG
I don't know if it have been posted before, but I'd like the members here to describe their city. Tell us why it's the best ( or worse) or just a normal city.

I personnally live in Saguenay, QC, Canada, North America. We are around 150 000 inhabitants here. It's a small community but I like it. We are at like 2 km from a wonderful fjord, the Saguenay. Even if temperature is cold sometimes ( about -40/-45 with wind ) I love it here.

What about you, now?
peaceninja
i live in Charleston, SC. It's been voted several times as the most polite town (when you walk past people you normally make eye contact with either a nod or a cheery hello). It has a southern atmosphere to it but I don't seem to meet a lot of people with southern accents, probably because of the rich diversity we have in the universities in town in addition to the fact that we used to be a big military town (I know that we have a Guantanamo-like prison camp near the city at the nuclear base holding some Iraqis and Talibanists).
Keran
I live in Katowice, Poland. My town is pretty much ugly and one of the most dangerous cities in Poland, it's pretty rough out here, but I live in a nice neighbourhood, near a big park. Downtown is really dangerous, lots of criminals, my school is out there, I live in suburbs.
In my town there is a soccer team GKS Katowice and in the town right next to Katowice there is Chorzów, which has another soccer club Ruch chorzow. This means that there are constant battles against these 2 clubs, a lot of hooligans, skinheads etc. I'm not a part of any of those groups...
I never had major problems with safety, though as soon as possible i'll try to get out of here...

peaceninja wrote:
(when you walk past people you normally make eye contact with either a nod or a cheery hello)

In Katowice it would have been a little risky to make eye contact with everyone you walk past by ;]
Commando_Sondre
I live in Kristiansand, Norway. My town is pretty nice, but for most of the time it's a quiet little town. Excep when Quart festivalen arrives. It's an awesome festival! Very Happy Mostly there are very little crime here, but many of the youth ones go out and drink themself almost to death. There are about 5 nightclubs here but I don't go to them.

All in all, a nice little city!
_Harley_
Well I live in Brighton, England. It is right at the bottom of England on the south east coast. It is the gay capital of the U.K and also has the most homeless people. It's one of England's oldest cities with a great city center and night life. It is also one of the most popular seaside resorts in England. During the Victorian times, it Brighton was famous for its health benefits. People use to come from far and wide to drink the sea water, as they believed it had great health benefits. Brighton also has a huge church, St. Bartholomew's church, which is believed to be the exact size of Noah's Ark.
hlavco
I live in Washingtonville, NY. It's a suburban town, lots of identical houses and so-forth. The town square has a lot of old buildings, but everything else is from the early eighties and later. It's a pretty boring town, there's not real attractions. We have a library, some parks, and for some reason, TONS of barber shops and pizza places.

Washingtonville's "claim to fame" is that we have America's oldest still-operating winery, the Brotherhood Winery. We also have a 9/11 memorial (we lost four or five firemen from it), and that's about it.

The streets in my part of the neighborhood are all "themed". All the streets closest to me have British names. I live on Essex Ct, which turns out on to Somerset Dr, and there's Hampshire Dr and Bristol Ct nearby. Farther away, the streets are America-themed, with roads like Washington Blvd, Lincoln Blvd, and Capitol Dr, the steepest hill in town.
Handermier
I live in Whitesboro, New York. Nothing really fancy. A small town of a few thousand. We have a main street that is called Main Street that runs parrellel to a boulevard called Oriskany Boulevard. There are a lot of the identical houses because this area was a big place for people to live when the cities around the area exploded with commerence.

There is a small library, a church, about a half a dozen churches. All on this main street with some small mom and pop stores around. It is the typical town really. Nothing all that special or big.

-Handermier
Da Rossa
Brasília, Brazil.
The most beautiful modern city of the world. So plain, handy, easy-flowing traffic (compared to others), the most beautiful skyview in the planet, the most beautiful dawn and sunset.
Unfortunately, every city has its own deficiencies, and Brasilia's is the lack of seriousness of the ones who take care of it. Besides, the residents are too lazy and get content and satisfied with not good enough things, provided they're earning their own big salary. This is a city of many thieves, the suit-and-tie thieves. However, it's the city with the best standards of living of our country.

Aless
I love in London, England. It's one of biggest, busiest, dirtiest, and most expensive cities in the world, but I love it! The culture is vibrant, varied, and wonderfully mixed. I love the double decker buses, the Tube, and the ripe atmosphere of culture and history. It's both modern and old, shaped around the River Thames. You can escape the hussle and bussle on a park bench in the middle of the city, or jump right in with a trip to Oxford St. I wouldn't trade it for anything!
FaLLeN
I live in nothing close to a city.

Its a little country town is NSW called Bargo(yes laugh it up)
It's quiet, has enough shops and good people(MOSTLY)

Give me that than some packed noisey city any day.
simophin
I live in Longlin, Guangxi,China, just a county, but I like it very much. Longlin is among many high mountains, and there is a lake, a river in Longlin. I like climbing, at the top of a mountain, i can see the rising sun- lots of beautiful sceneries!

This is some picutures of my county:

Da Rossa
Aless wrote:
I love in London, England. It's one of biggest, busiest, dirtiest, and most expensive cities in the world, but I love it! The culture is vibrant, varied, and wonderfully mixed. I love the double decker buses, the Tube, and the ripe atmosphere of culture and history. It's both modern and old, shaped around the River Thames. You can escape the hussle and bussle on a park bench in the middle of the city, or jump right in with a trip to Oxford St. I wouldn't trade it for anything!

I thought London was clean! Specially after the cleanup in Thames in the 60's.
My friend spent nine months in there, came back with lots of cash for having worked as a waiter.
yhally
first my location is here in biga silang cavite, philippines..

its a cool place here when im still young but as time past by i find it hard to describe whta kind of place where am i,

it far different from before...

there a lot of people here who use illegal drugs and so on,..

different gangs which make the city become worse...
Josso
My nearest city is Oxford. Only about 20 minutes away.

Very nice place...
catscratches
City? Oh, there's a somewhere outside the computer room? COOL! Since I have no life, I don't go to the city, Lund is boring and ugly. dot. end.
Donutey

I actually live in Bloomington, IL (rather than normal as it says in profile) which is near Normal (Illinois). (ha!) Incidentally, the Normal Activity Center is right next to the Normal police department, which are both near watterson towers (dorm for Illinois State University). There's lots of corn and wind farm towers, and it's all very flat, being in the midwest US.
cocobirdi
i live in Jackson, MS. heart of the South Razz i don't enjoy it much, since it's not as city-ish as as a real city, but at the same time you have to deal with crime and traffic and other stupid crap Razz plus, i'm a horse person, so i'm in the completely wrong place! so much suburban sprawl between me and horses. plus, so much of the area is seedy that it's hard to find a good apartment or duplex unless you want to be paying out the behind. however, it's getting more of a piece of the music scene lately, plus we get the third largest quarter horse show in the world here, complete with the great shopping of the Equine Expo, and we've got a bustling little renaissance community not too far from here that's great for artsy and healthy stuff. so i guess i can't complain too much Razz
scorpiosemotion
I live in beautiful Lodi, CA. I actually grew up in the next town over, but it's just not as interesting. Laughing There are over 60 wineries in the area, over 100 acres of wildlife preserve, several museums, a zoo and also a Japanese Garden. A lot of people use Lodi as home and commute to the bay area. So what was once a small town, has grown considerably in the past twenty years, along with the tourist attractions.

This is a picture of one of the original families homes that is down the street from me. It's a beautiful neighborhood.

Droop
So what can I say Seattle!! Well Seattle is small but big at the same time. It's nice and wet most of the time hah and if you have girlfriend or boyfriend your always holding them to stay warm or get warm. But I must say that i've been all over and i love this place the most!! Happy posting!!
spanx
ya my city is awesome
it is in the lap of hinmalayas
so we can view the beautiful seens of mountains
it is the caital oh nepal
kathmanduya my city is awesome
it is in the lap of hinmalayas
so we can view the beautiful seens of mountains
it is the caital oh nepal
kathmandu
Echo Printer
I live in the San Francisco, CA for now. It's very nice here, but also very expensive. If I pay all of my bills and have a little cash left over each month I'll probably stay...still too early to tell.
Billwaa
high city towers networks of highspeed train and subway Bright at night, so bright that you thought it is day. Shielding covering the city, providing climate control, and protection from meteriod.

This is the city of.....

What I am going to make a 3D model of, lol.

But anyway, I live in HK. Night, the city is so bright that you think it is day.
mantasx
NJ, Jackson. 75% of the area is covered by family and old people houses. 15% is covered by 7 11, Wawa, and malls. And the other 10% is dog shit on grass that was left where mexicans didn't build more houses on. Of course the percentages are not accurate, but the facts are.
raaeft1
Chandigarh is the State Capital of two Indian states-Punjab and Haryana as well as a Union Territory.
Designed by French architect Le Corbusier in the early 1950s, Chandigarh is described as City Beautiful because of the French-type architecture, wide roads and beautiful parks.
justnewbie
I live in Sandakan, Sabah, East Malaysia. We've got around 550,000 residents and the temperature is quite warm, which is around 27 to 33 degree celcius. Located near seashore and the terrain is quite hilly.. and urbanisation can be described as moderate.

Our city's specialty is the two sanctuaries, one of which is for orang utan and another for proboscis monkey, two kinds of chimpanzees. The scenery of seaside and natural forests are great, if you like nature, you'll like it here.

The seafood here is also marvelous too.. lobsters, oysters, prawns, crabs and such. However, if you're looking for shopping spot, I can tell you Sandakan isn't a really great place for shopping. Less choices.
andy26
Grimsby area full of chavs its almost known as a chav town but apart from the spreading chavs its ok.
ralphbefree
richmond california had great potential but the last 60 years haven't been good.
during WWII richmond was home to Rosie the Riverter. many liberty ships where manufactured here. after the war the city council dedicated thier relationship with chevron where they have a huge manufacturing site here. as a result the citizens where basically ignored. I just moved here and discovered that the citys pipe system is an atiquated cast iron pipes.

but it is the city of pride and purpose.

i gotta love it
Daire
Commando_Sondre wrote:
I live in Kristiansand, Norway. My town is pretty nice, but for most of the time it's a quiet little town. Excep when Quart festivalen arrives. It's an awesome festival! Very Happy Mostly there are very little crime here, but many of the youth ones go out and drink themself almost to death. There are about 5 nightclubs here but I don't go to them.

All in all, a nice little city!

I was there during the summer for a football match. Very nice little place.

I live in an Irish town called Drogheda. Bit of a dump to be honest. Some nice people a lot of 'skangers' unfourtanetly. Quite big. Located around 30 miles north of Dublin. A lot of development going on, perhaps too much.
DocWonton
Daire wrote:

I live in an Irish town called Drogheda. Bit of a dump to be honest. Some nice people a lot of 'skangers' unfourtanetly. Quite big. Located around 30 miles north of Dublin. A lot of development going on, perhaps too much.

o.o Ireland! xD is it true you guys have over 8 different types of potatoes? i find that interesting.

I live right outside of Washington D.C in the U.S. D.C is ok... lots of violence and politics though. The city i live in is called Potomac and there's nothing that's very important in it. Its pretty tiny and quiet. >_>
Daire
DocWonton wrote:
Daire wrote:

o.o Ireland! xD is it true you guys have over 8 different types of potatoes? i find that interesting.

I live right outside of Washington D.C in the U.S. D.C is ok... lots of violence and politics though. The city i live in is called Potomac and there's nothing that's very important in it. Its pretty tiny and quiet. >_>

Is it true everyone from the US has Irish ancestors? Razz

The-Nisk is also from Drogheda, but some where like ~Russia originally.
funnyerror
My town is a small rural one. There are no tall buildings or loud highways, and the only available internet in this area is dialup. Sad

-funnyeror
shwetanshu
my city is New Delhi, India... its clean at pplaces and dirty in the old part of the city.... ppl are good, food is gud, almost all festivals are celebrated here... whether hindu, sikh, christian, muslim.. very colourful city
Jayfarer
I live in a city in LA county.

It's very mediocre. It's a place of flag-emblazoned refineries and loud gang violence as reported by the nightly news and unprecedented diversity & culture that most people don't even get to see and thunderous stadiums where we cheer for soccer teams and a giant blimp that descends from the clouds to rest it's weary sides. Of public schools doing good with what they've got but sorely needing more, of the usual corporate set ups every few blocks and ice cream sold from carts without permits.

It's always felt like spillover from the rest of the surrounding, major, more well known cities. As if Torrance and Long Beach and Compton just kept expanding, and then someone decided to draw a circle with a sharpie on the map in city hall that contained pieces of all of them. It's like they decided to cut it out and call it Carson. Spillover.

If you walked outside, you would see nothing out of the ordinary: Identical houses one story houses, churches, traffic lights! All the comforts of the city. It's no downtown, and it's no sub-urb.
Seiji
It rains almost every single day. Only thing nice about it is that you get an oriental feel when you visit since the International District is the main attraction. Other than that you would be bothered by the rain and the humidity.
vinx_18
I really love my place. I live in Cebu... http://www.cebu.gov.ph/ ... There are a lots of beautiful spots... Mountains, beaches, malls, falls and a lot more... Smile
reddishblue
Melbourne, Australia, It is a very nice city with a great artistic and shopping base, it is often called the worlds most livable city, crime is low, I really love it.
ankur.vatsa
I live in New Delhi, India. New Delhi has a population of 13,782,976 according to the (2001 census), and an area of 1,483 km², with a population density of 9,294 persons per km².

The district is bounded by the Yamuna River on the east, and by the districts of Central Delhi to the north, South Delhi to the southeast, South West Delhi to the south and west, and East Delhi across the Yamuna to the east.

It is an open city that houses many government buildings and embassies, apart from places of historical interest. Notable attractions in New Delhi include the Rashtrapati Bhawan, the official residence of the President of India, the India Gate, a memorial raised in honour of the Indian soldiers martyred during the Afghan Wars and World War I, the Laxminarayan Temple, one of the most visited Vaishnavite temples, the Swaminarayan Akshardham temple, the Humayun's Tomb, the Purana Quila, built by Humayun, with later-day modifications by Sher Shah Suri, the Tughlaqabad fort, a 14th century fort on the outskirts of the city, the Qutab Minar, built by Qutb-ud-din Aybak of the Slave Dynasty and the lotus-shaped Bahá'í House of Worship.
j_f_k
I live in London closish to the centre.

Impressions of it are - bloody crowded, People are either really rude/arrogant or really polite with no pattern.

Despite reputation its actually a dry city with little rain (We've just come off a 8-month long hosepipe ban would you believe) - all that English rain you hear about happens in the north and west not in the south east.

If you want to go out to eat or to a movie or somewhere, there is always something that caters to you - there is just so much choice, however you have to be prepared to pay for it!

The muesums are free which rocks. The congestion charge (which was extended today) DOESN'T!!

If you have kids and have plans on sending them to a school where the teachers don't get knifed on a regular basis and you're a bit fussy about them turning into drug dealers then be prepared to pay through the nose for a private school. If you're kids are not academincally gifted then god help you!
skygaia
Hi.. there

I'm from South Korea.
I'm living in Seoul. Seoul is the capital city of south korea.
There are almost 13 million people who live in seoul.
I think it is one of the biggest city in the world. There are always heavy traffic in seoul.

But I think Seoul is very active. there are a lot of stores and restaurents which open 24 hours.
jylan
I live in Yeppoon, a medium sized town in Central Queensland, Australia. I love living here as it has a great library, lots of nice places to go for picnics and stuff, and it is right on the beach. The people are all pretty friendly, although there is always a few rude ones.

The main tourist attractions here are the nearby Byfield rainforest, the crocodile farm, and the largest city, Rockhampton. Rockhampton is also know as the beef capital.

Below is a picture looking from the top of a hill onto the beach.

Fright Knight
I lived in two different cities. First is Iloilo City. It was first known as the QUEEN CITY OF THE SOUTH. but now it is known as the CITY OF LOVE. it is a simple city. well, far more simple than any other city that you guys are living. But it is the best city for me. This is where my heart is.

The second City is MAKATI CITY. It is where I am right now. It's far modern than Iloilo City and it has Hundreds of tall buildings. Well, i'm just happy to live here in my country.
RubySlasher
Lots of shrubs. Lots. And hills. And a marsh that leads into the bay. And houses. And there's a town pub.
Vladalf
I live in Bucharest, Romania. It's the capital of my country. It's a big crowded and nasty place to live in. I live in Bucuresti Noi district,, a nice place.

Below is a picture from the centre of the city.

I would love to live in a little town...
eltro
small mill town 6200 people.
godam64
small town in size but with 4 miilions people on it Twisted Evil
one of the worst city in the world with pollution problem.
but i love it.

it's JAKARTA in INDONESIA Very Happy
Idoru
I live in Partille, Sweden, with my lovley family. It's a small town with 33000 inhabitants
in the whole region. It's close to Gothenbourg, as some of you perhaps is more familiar with?
Close to the coast we are used to quite strong winds. The climat changes a lot, so it's hot
in the summer and snow in the winter. A nice stream of water floats right through the town,
and due lot's of rain it flooded this autnum. Nothing serious, but to get from one side
to an other took a long time, since you had to go around it all.
There is a core of the town with a mall and a few larger houses, but mainly there is
one-family houses. A lot of nice nature and a quietness compared to the larger city nearby.
seagullspirit
I won't give ya the name of the city I live in but I'll tell ya its in Romania and here's my first impression of it when I moved here a few years ago: The best place in the world if you're contemplating a mid-life depression or suicide, unless you're the kindda person that enjoys rain and constant gloomy weather.
lady_yavanna
i live in tamworth, NSW, Australia.

http://www.tamworth.nsw.gov.au/asp/index.asp

i (and most of u) wudnt really call it a "city", coz its population is 30,000; but its pretty big 4 an inland country environment. sum of u may no it 4 its country music fest held each yr in jan. we r the country music capital of Australia. i dont mind the music, becoz i love just bout every type of music there is. besides, many different genres r represented durin the festival.

we were also the 1st community in the southern hemisphere 2 hav electric street lighting Very Happy

its the main city of north-west NSW, and a place ive spent most of my life living in. not 2 big and not 2 small, perfect Very Happy
donika_hell
I live in Sliven, Bulgaria. It's not big, but it has a great nature.....

tribe
Well I live in Youngstown, OH. I've lived here my entire life, and attended Youngstown State University, home of the 91-93-94-97 NCAA Div. I-AA National Champions! The town is located 90 minutes from Cleveland and Pittsburgh, and was once known as Steel City, USA.

Today we are known for being the 9TH Most Dangerous City in America. We got a great new mayor who has put the party lines aside, and worked to bring the city together, especially the racial divide, considering he is a Black Independent.

Currently-82,000 people live in Youngstown, but just 50 years ago it was 170,000.

I love my city, I just wish most people here had the same attitude!
babumuchhala
Well, I stay, in New Mumbai, which is basically a suburb developed to ease the load of Mumbai, India's Financial Capital.

The city pride's itself with its speed of life, never stops, never a break, and the whole city is virtually a workaholic (or maybe everyone just pretends to be). Nothing stops us, be it floods, or bomb blasts. It dosen't affect us from doing our work.

The other thing is the sheep number of people, heck its the world most populous city. The public transport is jam packed and always overflowing.

I could go on and on, so better read this
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mumbai
loophole64
skygaia wrote:

But I think Seoul is very active. there are a lot of stores and restaurents which open 24 hours.

And Starcraft on TV! =D

I live in Alexandria, VA right now, which is pretty nice, and it has a great metro system (DC Metro), but I don't have much to say about it since I just moved here.

My home is Madison, WI. It's very cold there in the winter time, but that's the only thing bad about it. It's beautiful spring through fall. It's sometimes called the city of 4 lakes. Downtown is built on an isthmus that goes between the two largest lakes.

Unemployment and crime are low. It's a university town, so there is a fun nightlife. It has about 300,000 people, but it has a smaller town feel to it. People are very friendly. Public schools are excellent. There's lots to do outside at the many parks. There's a free zoo. There are awesome sporting events for badger basketball, football, hockey, soccer, etc. Lots of city sports leagues. It's pretty much my favorite place in the world, and I have lived all over the country here in the US.
thedrew
my city is jakarta, indonesia. it lies around asia, under spore.
helladamnleet
I live in a festering stink hole, where everyone is a jerk or a preppy, and wouldn't hesitate to stab you in the back to save their own ass.

The main source of income is taxing and tourism, which I find funny seeing as how there is absolutely NOTHING in this town worth seeing.

They town tries being a lot bigger than it actually is, and it's making me sick. I'll tell you one thing, first chance I get, I'm OUT of this town for good.

Thats right, packing my bags and NEVER looking back. Evil or Very Mad
ulruc
I live in a little town named Saint-Georges. Yes, for those who want to know, it's in the province of Quebec, Canada.

Normally, the size of this town is like 30k peoples but if you count all the small little villages around it as well, we are close 100k people around here.

And still, this town sucks a lot! We have a lot of bars but no one really have what it take to be "the place to be" for young adults.

So, it really pissed me off to see that we can't almost do nothing around here after 10pm unless you want to go and check naked girls in a strip club...

Welcome everyone to Saint-Georges Shocked
spider
Hmm,,, New Philadelphia, Ohio,,,
not much to say here,,, tallest building I believe is 3 story's, maybe 4...
pretty boring actually, My wife and I are thinking on moving to Las Cruses New mexico... now thats a city... Our children will have much more oppurtunities than we had in school, and on top of that, awsome sites everywhere,, I believe it has like 13 different cultures, desert, river valleys, and mountains, always something to do. a festival or more per month, sometimes 2 or 3... couple of golf courses, strange town names too, like 'Truth or Consequences', 'Elephant Butte', Silver city was actually a tent town with miners... cliff dwellings, fishing, hiking, you name it,,,
Whispering "Roswell New Mexico, not that I want to go there."... but all in all a wonderful place...
jsk02a
I live in a small city (about 100,000 people) called Abilene in Texas. It's a slow pace of life here, we have three Christian universities and a strong Republican influence in politics. The town, while small and laid-back, has a booming real-estate market and is developing rather quickly threatening to incorporate the smaller surrounding cities.

All-in-all it's a nice place to grow up and raise kids, but boring for those college aged...I'm getting out of here as soon as I graduate college.
Zug Zug
I live in Northern California-USA. It's very clean for the most part. Good town I live in, we're actually the #1 fastest growing city in the United States-from what I was told. The community is awesome-yet as our city grows so does the traffic....eh. We have a water park....rather small but hey it's still there. We were the first mall to have an escalader in a fourty mile radius. Etc... uuum we have heart and the crime rate is.....well lets just say until 2006 we were the #1 county of producing Meth....erm ya lol.
Sick-
my town/village is very small. maybe 8000 inhabitants? village is in two parts. between those little villages is just nothing, just forests etc. Here are few foodshops, few cafees, drugstore, one little shop(kiosk??)", one place where i can do sports, there are gym too Wink, all those shops are near each other so you can really see there how small village this is ^^ then here are two schools one for 7 to 13 years old children and one school to 13 to 16 years old. few gas-stations... few clothe/shoe stores... place for old people... (dont know the name :S) and then i cant remember anythin else ^^ this village is in Finland and its called Vilppula Razz
bartdou
XI'AN CHINA:
Xian, the eternal city, records the great changes of the Chinese nation just like a living history book. Called Chang'an in ancient times, Xian is one of the birthplaces of the ancient civilization in the Yellow River Basin area of the country. During Xian's 3,100 year development, 13 dynasties such as Western Zhou (11th century BC - 771 BC), Qin (221 BC - 206 BC), Western Han (206 BC - 24 AD) and Tang (618 - 907) placed their capitals here. So far, Xian enjoys equal fame with Athens, Cairo, and Rome as one of the four major ancient civilization capitals.

Xian is the capital of Shaanxi province, located in the southern part of the Guanzhong Plain. With the Qinling Mountains to the south and the Weihe River to the north, it is in a favorable geographical location surrounded by water and hills. It has a semi-moist monsoon climate and there is a clear distinction between the four seasons. Except the colder winter, any season is relatively suitable for traveling.
The cultural and historical significance of the area, as well as the abundant relics and sites, help Xian enjoy the laudatory title of 'Natural History Museum'. The Museum of Terra Cotta Warriors and Horses is praised as 'the eighth major miracle of the world', Mausoleum of Emperor Qin Shi Huang is listed on the World Heritage List, and the City Wall of the Ming Dynasty (1368 - 1644) is the largest and most intact Ming Dynasty castle in the world. In the city, there is the 3,000 year old Banpo Village Remains from the Neolithic Age (approximately from 8000 BC to 5000 BC), and the Forest of Stone Steles that holds 3,000 stone steles of different periods from the Han Dynasty to the Qing Dynasty. Around Xian, the Famen Temple enjoys the reputation of being the 'forefather of pagodas and temples in Central Shaanxi,' because it holds the finger bones of Sakyamuni -- the founder of Buddhism. The natural landscape around Xian is also marvelous Mt.Huashan one of the five best-known mountains in China, is famous for its breath-taking cliffs and its unique characteristics.

Traditional downtown Xian refers to the area encircled by the city wall, this has now been expanded to encompass the area within the second ring road (Er' huan Lu). The Bell Tower is the geographical center of Xian and the four main streets are respectively Dong Dajie, Xi Dajie, Nan Dajie and Bei Dajie which are also the main commercial streets. Xiao Zhai, the busiest commercial area is in the southern part of the city and is popular with both youths and students since many universities are located here. Shuyuan Men and the still under construction Luoma Shi are must-visit pedestrian streets in the city. Xian is also famous for its quantity of colleges throughout China. The old campuses of many colleges and universities are massed in the southern suburb of Xian, but most have established new campuses in far southern suburb - Chang'an District due to the lack of space within the city.
As tourist development grows in Xian, the hotel industry flourishes more and more. It is very easy to find a hotel in Xian, ranging from 5 star hotels to youth hostels. Of course, it will be any traveler's first choice to stay in the city center due to the superior geographical location and the convenient transportation.
Praised as 'the capital of table delicacies', Xian has been rich in the delicious Shaanxi snack, delicate Guangdong Cuisine, various kinds of fashionable foreign delicacies, and popular Sichuan Cuisine such as the hot pot. Among all the delicacies, the most famous and popular one is the Muslim Snack Street.
Xian is the most important city in northwest China, and so there are a lot of shopping outlets for locals and tourists alike. There are many big shopping centers, department stores and supermarkets in and around Xian city - the biggest and most comprehensive being Kai Yuan Shopping Mall and Century Ginwa Shopping Mall.
The night life in Xian has a unique glamour. Traditional ways include enjoying the night scenery around the Bell Tower, taking part in a Tang Dynasty Dinner Show, strolling on the ancient Big Wild Goose Pagoda Square and watching the music fountain performance. More modern and fashionable ways include singing in the KTV, hanging out in a bar, or dancing in a Disco. All in all, any experience in this ancient city will bring you fun and possibly a little surprise!

justnewbie
My city; Sandakan, Sabah, East Malaysia. Assumed population is around 480,000 with quite a hilly terrain. Located along the east coast or Borneo island which gives its inhabitants a good seaview. Mildly developed and polluted, and emphasizes on preserving nature. Also nicknamed "nature city" or "the gateway to borneo's nature". Favorite attractions include proboscis monkey sanctuary and orang utan sanctuary.
spanz
ya i dont live in city
it is like country site
it is cool
farms almost everywhere
and loving sites everywhere
a highway crossing frm there
and beautful mountain series at north
there is a river with cold water flowing froom mountains.
Annush_K
I live in Yekaterinburg, Russia. Quite a big city, especially for our country. 1,270,000 inhabitants.

Situated in the Ural mountains, rich in minerals, rare metals etc. Yekaterinburg has always been a centre of heavy industry, machinery, steel mining and almost all the production ever possible. The city is full of various plants and fabrics that produce anything from military tanks and optical systems for helicopters to concrete and other building materials to cosmetics.

The city is only 45 km away from the border between the Europe and Asia. Geographically it's an asiatic city. :3 The climate is quite cold here, though milder than in siberia. We only have normal summer for 1-2 months, and we're REALLY lucky if we get several warm and sunny days so we can swim in lakes and such. Most of the summer here is quite wet and gloomy.

The infrastructure, as in any city of such size, is developed well enough, with theatres, museums, cinemas and such, but for me personally it's not enough :3 I'd love if more art exhibitions were held here ^_^
kevin briggs
Belfast (from the Irish: Béal Feirste meaning "Mouth of the sandy ford"[1]) is a city in and the capital of Northern Ireland. It is the largest city in Northern Ireland and the province of Ulster, and the second-largest city in all Ireland (after Dublin). In the 2001 census the population within the city limits (the Belfast Urban Area) was 277,391,[2] while 579,276 people lived in the wider Belfast Metropolitan Area.[3]

Belfast is situated on Northern Ireland's eastern coast and straddles the border between County Antrim and County Down. The city is flanked to the north by a series of hills, including Cavehill, which are thought to be inspiration for Jonathan Swift's Gulliver's Travels. He imagined they resembled the shape of a sleeping giant safeguarding the city.[4] Belfast city developed near the mouth of the River Lagan and at the south-western end of the long natural inlet of Belfast Lough, making it an ideal location for the shipbuilding industry that would make it famous. When the Titanic was built in Belfast in 1912, Harland and Wolff had the largest shipyard in the world.[5]

Belfast saw the worst of the Troubles in Northern Ireland. However, since the Good Friday Agreement in 1998, there has been major redevelopment in the city including Victoria Square, the Titanic Quarter and Laganside as well as the new Odyssey complex and the landmark Waterfront Hall. Much of the city centre has now been pedestrianised. The city is served by two airports: The George Best Belfast City Airport adjacent to Belfast Lough and Belfast International Airport which is near Lough Neagh. Queen's University of Belfast is the main university in Belfast. The University of Ulster also maintains a campus in the city, which concentrates on fine art and design
georgekalathil
I live in NOIDA in India and is one of the best and upcoming cities of India. NOIDA is home to some of the major multinational companies and is continously growing in the field of science and technology.
THere are also many other travel cities and destinations in India which make INdia a major tourism hub. Can get more on India from http://www.indiantravels.com. There are also many heritage and ancient monuments which dates back centuries back.......
DeFwh
I live in Bolingbrook, Illinois its a pretty big town and we have a new mall opening in 8 days. I've lived here my entire life and I have yet to see a local community bolster as ours has and I'm not just saying that because I live here.
budiman
Currently I am living in Tainan Taiwan and I am a foreigner here Smile

Tainan is just a small city full of students. That is what I see here.

The living cost is low. Food is tasty.

I also learn Chinese Language and practising Tai Chi. Both lessons are effordable.

Tainan City is safe for local and foreigner. But the city buses are not very reliable. Please buy a scooter or a car, if you plan to stay for a long period.
melissareich
I grew up in the city called Lincoln Park, Michigan, USA. It was near Detroit, well you can consider it a suburb of Detroit. It wasn't too bad when I was young, but then it got a little worse. Everyone started moving away from the neighborhood. The worse about the city was the rodes. They were full of pot holes, it was a bumpy ride. The city wasn't too big, it was surrounded by Dear Born (Ford Motor Company), Southgate, Taylor, Romulus, and many more. I lived there for 14 years just about, all my life.

Now I live in Welcome/Lexington, North Carolina, USA. This is a small town, sort of in the country becoming more of a city. LOTS AND LOTS of trees! Nice air! I missed Michigan when I first moved here but now I like it a lot more. I like to go to Winston Salem, Greensboro, and Charlotte. North Carolina is a huge huge place. I never go anywhere in my own city, I usually go to surrounding cities and waste a ton of gas, lol.

Well those were my cities!
siegeheart
Bangkok,the city of smile,it's my home town, traffic jam Very Happy , but people have smiling,Thai people have good attitude with foreign tourist.they like to help anything if u request.when u stay in thailand hotel you will feel different from your country's hotel.
nimo
helladamnleet wrote:
I live in a festering stink hole, where everyone is a jerk or a preppy, and wouldn't hesitate to stab you in the back to save their own ass.

The main source of income is taxing and tourism, which I find funny seeing as how there is absolutely NOTHING in this town worth seeing.

They town tries being a lot bigger than it actually is, and it's making me sick. I'll tell you one thing, first chance I get, I'm OUT of this town for good.

Thats right, packing my bags and NEVER looking back. Evil or Very Mad

where the hell do you live man? do warn us, please!
Tim Graham
Melbourne, Australia.

The population is about 3,500,000 but it's quite spread out (much like Sydney). It's been described - someone mentioned it before - as the most liveable city in the world, which I think is pretty fair although it has its little niggles..Public transport in my area is pretty good but the further out you get the less choices there are - I've got easy access to trams, trains and buses but there are some areas which aren't as well serviced.

Sydney is described by a lot of people as the more attention-seeking, wild and flashy town whereas Melbourne is where you go for street art, cafes, museums and galleries..all the 'cultural' sort of stuff. Those of you in Commonwealth countries would probably know it from last year, when we hosted the 2006 Commonwealth Games.
azbuky
I live in a medium city from Romania, called Bacau. Not that it's my city, but it is a great city, one of the best in Romania!
icantthink
Billwaa wrote:
But anyway, I live in HK. Night, the city is so bright that you think it is day.

LOL That's so true. Every night the harbour in HK (Victoria Harbour, btw) has a light show or something like that to attract tourists. A light show by a dozen of skyscrapers. Every night. HK is one over-materialistic/commercialized city, really.
ercanmemili
i thought i live in a wonderful city: antalya, tr. BUt i saw your cities... They are most beautiful.. hi hi hi...
tennispro9911
Endicott, New York, United States. I live in a small town of 25,000 with the surrounding area having around 200-300k total population. Around that is mostly farmland. We are around 3.5 hrs away from New York City. There is very little do do and the nickname is emptycott although it is a nice small town. We are also the birthplace of IBM and they used to employ around 20,000 people in our area but now they have moved mostly to other places and employ only around 2,000 people.
cornga56
I live in North Pitcher, NY. My city isn't really a city at all, I think, not sure though, but I think it's considered a village. Anyways, it's in the middle of the country surrounded by thousands of acres of stateland and private properties ranging from 65 acre lots to 1000 acre lots. The demographic of people in the area are old people and school kids (Old people meaning about 55 and up). Socially this town is the worst you could ever have. There are no people my age (24) and it's really hard to meet new people since everyone lives like 2 miles apart from each other and there's like a 500 cattle in between you and them. I must say though that this would be a great place to raise a kid but not a great place for your kid to come home from college as they will probably sit around the house and mope because there are no friends here. But the area is so beautiful, if you like being around nature and enjoy stuff like snowmobiling, fourwheeling, fishing, hunting, hiking or partying your ass off in the woods without ever having to worry about cops....this is your place. There's no crime and that's a huge plus. Well except for the domestic variety like adultery. Great town all in all, just wish there were more people my age.
russel26
my country is very democratic...
rafael2112
Living in south brazil

the city is Ponta Grossa the state Parana, population of 270.000

Temperature 25 degrees Celcius in summer and 5 degrees Celcius in winter (some times the frost)

My city is a common ,it does not have many interesting things

Have a park with quenion here

Quote:
I live in Katowice, Poland. My town is pretty much ugly and one of the most dangerous cities in Poland, it's pretty rough out here, but I live in a nice neighbourhood, near a big park.

The many immigrants Poles here in my state,in my city there is a Polish church.

the my city,it is also dangerous Sad

More is not as much as other major cities
alyer
Hello!
I'm living in Cheboksary town Russia.
It is situated on a bank of River Volga. Not far from Moscow (600 km).
Population is about 350000
Very nice town! Welcome!!!
zaira
i'm living in General Santos City, Philippines. Its a small booming city. No much fun at all but really amazing city. School - Home - Mall - Park are my daily routines in here.
arguiaren
I live in Barcelona. It's very nice. I'like the mediterranean see.
Afaceinthematrix
I live in a city called Moreno Valley. It used to be in the middle of nowhere, but now it is considered one of the fastest growing cities in the United States. It used to be really nice, with vast open desert land, and I would spend a lot of time hiking and bike riding. Now it's a congested city. I'm lucky enough to live right now the edge, next to a state park called Lake Perris, so I can be away from the city and into a small desert area within 10 minutes of walking... I still spend a lot of time hiking there even though it's not as big because they've developed a lot of the surrounding land. The good news is, is that no more development can happen around there because they would be entering a protected area... I still occasionally see coyotes and very rarely mountain lions (cougars).
therealchrismarsh
Not very exotic but I started a new job in London, and I love it here!
Such a crazy mad city but so much fun!
speeDemon
I live In India, yes... the land of wonders........

I live in a state named Madhya Pradesh, fur u guys, M.P.
My city's name is Bhopal, Its the capital.. but not that good as some other cities in the same state.
The city has got just about everything a city needs. It has got 7 Lakes! A very big Temple! One of Asia's biggest Mosques! Two Historical places, and what not!

I is the best place to live in, in todays world. It is more of quiet, though, big city. If you go to Mumbai or Delhi, WOOOW the Malls and all, but on the other side, corruption, politics, traffic, noise, thefts, murders and everything which I would never want in my city.

I love my city for many reasons,and at the sme time I also dislike it a little bit. The only reason for that is that I cant get a Wii !!!!!!! But on the other hand, its like the best place to live in......

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Home~~Sweet~~Home~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
keypals
Hello, I live in Turin (North Italy), Turin is a city very chaotic and very much smog, there are lots of immigrants and because the euro too strong things cost a lot.

I want to relocate to somewhere else, maybe in Mexico or in the United States, but it must be near the sea.

Come in Turin, you are welcome.

P.S. I want to find a family that is good money and living at sea, so I can heal healthy if I receive aid. Embarassed
cafefrog
Western Massachusetts is wonderful! We can ski in the winter, hike and bike in the summer, have access to "city life" but live in the suburbs or the country. I am living in a more country place now than I have ever lived and I love it.

Great quiet! No traffic on the streets. It is soothing.

Nothing better than being able to open the door and let the dog run in the yard or take them to the woods and run off the leash.

Open water swimming is better than pool
Biking on roads is better than the gym
qedesigns
i'm from lagos in nigeria and u've never seen anyhthin like it. if u have to go for an event at 10am, u r advised to leave ur house at 8am...however ppl leave at 11 and get there at 1. therefore unofficial event time is 3hrs ahead of the official time ...lol

it probably doesnt make so much sense but if u ever come here, it'll make a lot of sense
DizzyDesign
I live in Bucharest. Its the capital city, industrial, and commercial center of Romania. It is Romania's largest city. It is located in the southeast of the country, at and lies on the banks of the Dâmboviţa River. It was originally known as Dâmboviţa citadel.
MediaDragon
I grew up in Chicago, IL. I later moved to the L.A. area and now live by the beach. After 12 years, I am returning to my hometown.

Chicago is large, convenient and has everything that NYC and LA have to offer, but at much more affordable prices. While it isn't cheap to live there, you can actually still afford to buy property. The city is well designed, easy to get around in with an excellent mass transit system. The culture is varied and interesting. Lake Michigan goes from one end of the city to the other and beyond. Unlike L.A., there are places where people can gather, centrally for many events. There are plenty of parks within the city to escape the oppressiveness of pavement. Lake Shore Drive has the most beautiful view of any major city I have ever seen, as a drive into town. To see something like that in L.A, you have to very far up PCH past Malibu and a very long distance. Hands down, it beats NYC or L.A. just for that alone. And unlike those two major cities, people are very friendly and welcoming.
ribozon
I live in Istanbul/Turkey and it's the largest city in Turkey. We have lots of historical places and old historical mosques in here. and Taksim is also a favourite location for public events such as parades, new year celebrations or other social gatherings. Lots of tourists celebrating the new year in Taksim. ^^ We have the bosphorus bridge and it's connecting europe and asia. And have a great view of it in camlica hill.
timothymartin
I live in Arvada, a suburb of Denver Colorado, just on the east side of the Rockies.
yagnyavalkya
Hyderabad India
Very populous and busy city
macky
Quote:
Manila , Philippines officially the City of Manila, is the capital of the Philippines and one of the sixteen cities within the Manila metropolitan area, one of the most populous metropolitan areas in the world with a population of 20 million people.[5][6] It is located on the eastern shores of Manila Bay on the western side of the island of Luzon. Several cities lie on its border: Navotas and Caloocan to the north, Quezon City to the northeast, San Juan and Mandaluyong to the east, Makati to the southeast, and Pasay to the south.

we where in the city capital of the Philippines... happy and many places to go to... like the malls, the

park, amusements... [/quote]
deanhills
I presently live and work in the UAE in an area not very far from Dubai. I call it round about city, as I don't think I've ever seen a place with as many round abouts, ever. In the beginning I hated these round abouts, but have got more used to it. Quite a challenge in peak traffic as well as with people who don't drive very safely, but eventually one always adapts. Secret is to have a four-wheel drive where you can sit quite high up so as to have a good view of what everyone is doing in the round abouts. Small cars don't stand a good chance if anything should go wrong. There is a large roundabout near work, and at least two to three accidents every day. Smile
mikeperhem1
My city is full of beaytiful and exotic beaches that attracts the tourists.