FRIHOST • FORUMS • SEARCH • FAQ • TOS • BLOGS • COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!


y = ax + b





erlendhg
Are there any more or less mathematical geniouses that can explain the line formula y = ax + b for me?

Thank you
BlazeDragon132
erlendhg wrote:
Are there any more or less mathematical geniouses that can explain the line formula y = ax + b for me?

Thank you

It should be y= mx + b
m is the slope of the problem
b is the y interception.

this is used to find x or y if you know either x or y's number
Scorpio
Actual m is the slope of the line not mx.
b is the intercept of the line on the y-axis
BlazeDragon132
scorpio wrote:
Actual m is the slope of the line not mx.
b is the intercept of the line on the y-axis

Yeah, I made a typo. Embarassed
Liu
BlazeDragon132 wrote:

It should be y= mx + b
m is the slope of the problem
b is the y interception.

this is used to find x or y if you know either x or y's number

It doesn't have to be "m", it could be a.
Srs2388
y=mx+b is the slope intercept formula
(geometry class last year... blech it sucked)
darknight985
Srs2388 wrote:
y=mx+b is the slope intercept formula
(geometry class last year... blech it sucked)


uhhmm.. im am currently in geometry and we do not use slope at all.. geometry is the study of earthly shapes... yeah but

Y=mx+b is used to find the slope and itercept of a line.

Lets say the slope is 4/7. So you plug that in and it should look like y=4/7x+b

to have found the slope you should have a few points plotted on the graph.
You draw a line connecting those dots together and the line should intercept the Y-axis at a certain point. That point goes in the equation for B. so lets say your intercept is 4. Your equation will now look like y = 4/7x +4.

Hope that helps Smile
ZealousZ
to find slope, the formula is y(1)-y(2)/x(1)-x(2)
so you have 2 points, subtract the y value of 1 point from the other, then the x value of the SAME point you picked for y from the other

slop is basically like 'how many units do i move up, for every unit i move to the right"

so if it's 2/1, you move up 2 units for every 1 unit to the right
a slope of -3/2 would be that you move DOWN 3 units, for every 2 units you move to the right

a horizontal line has a slop of 0 and a vertical line has a slope of 'undefined'

hope this adds on
myrevolt
Isn't y=ax+b the form for linear regression from statistics? (yes you are probably thinking of y=mx+b or mixing up one of its other forms)
Liu
You guys are getting too caught up in semantics.

Y=mx + b
Y=cx+i
Y=wx+c
c=Y/w-x
x=(y-c)/w
etc.etc.

With y being output, x being input, and everything else being constants is still going to graph a linear line no matter what.
Babsta
Lol it reminded me of my highschool math. Now I miss it =P
erlendhg
Liu wrote:
BlazeDragon132 wrote:

It should be y= mx + b
m is the slope of the problem
b is the y interception.

this is used to find x or y if you know either x or y's number

It doesn't have to be "m", it could be a.


Yeah, that is right. In Norway the formula sounds like y = ax + b

Thanks everybody.
HoboPelican
Good answers all!

-close-
Related topics
System of a down
Hide Drives and Partitions
holasssssssss . una pregunta
Foros SMF y EForo (descarga) son gratuitos.
[tv]Los Simpsons,TEMPORADA 17 [b]de carne y hueso[/b]
A img tag that hold's HTML infromation
Chaos and Fractals
[var] deSHielo y nuevas especies!
Local Lingo/Sayings and such...
pronunciancion de la "v corta" en espa๑a
Chaos
[Aporte] Como pasar de templates PSD a CSS y HTML
Maths Brains only
Iterating simultaneous linear equations problem
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Frihost Forum Index -> General -> General Chat

FRIHOST HOME | FAQ | TOS | ABOUT US | CONTACT US | SITE MAP
© 2005-2011 Frihost, forums powered by phpBB.