FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

BIOS

Haku
How do you update/restore bios? (AMD if that matters)
and where do get the update/restore file?
I've got a motherboard of this model:
MSI K8T Neo2 FIR (604-6702E-010)

I think it's my bios that's messing my graphics up in many games, cuz once i were goin to a LAN, and my cpu didn't start up, so i went into BIOS and tried to fixed it, and then i did, but when it starts up alot of strange logos, and weird numbers and stuff show up and slow the startup with like +30sec and the graphics is weird, im getting artifacts in almost all games, (especially new ones)

Thanks on beforehand!(can you say that in english?)
Maka
Artifacts are caused by your gfx card, thats causeing your images to be corrupt including bios screen, is yiur card getting ok ventilation and is it cool enough?, I started getting articfats on my 9800xt and the cause was to much dust in the fan, so give it a good clean our and check the fans spinning ok. also make sure you got the latest drivers.
Haku
Ok, i had my thought on the temprature also. I'll se what i can do, thanks!
hrtorrent
Some mainboard's have a option to flash bios. First what you need is download a new BIOS version file from your mainboard manufacturer page (be carefull to download a rigth one!).

Next procedure can be various, depends on BIOS and mainboard type. Read the instructions from your downloaded file's very carefully!!!

Some version of BIOS have integrated flash program, if your's have too, go to bios, run that with donwloaded file and that's it.

For other version which does'nt have this option, you must download a flash program (in most options it's included in "new version BIOS" file).

All this things is on your soul, so watch what you doing!!!
homer09001
totaly agree with hrtorrent flash your BIOS but be very carefull one wrong move you've screwed ure CPU ut it sounds like either your BIOS is corrupt or it been attacked by a virus, virus scan ure pc before you flash ure BIOS then once your rid of all viruses if needed flash ou BIOS very carefully hope you sort your problem Very Happy
techcheetah
flashing bios is risky...
Haku
Yeah i had my thoughts on that to. I have downloaded the right bios (im positive on that, looked inside my computer on the motherboard and in the motherboards manual, same numbers, downloaded the latest version to that number's bios) but i get stuck on almost the last thing to do. it says you should never flash from a floppy, you should copy the files to a your RAMDisk, but i dont have one of those, and i downloaded some drivers to get one (it uses RAM or somethin to store som MB of data but all that data dissapears after each reboot) but in order to use one of them you had to have windows on, and one didnt work. I wanna have a RAMDrive when im in DOS (using a Win 98 boot disk).
hrtorrent
Flashing BIOS is safe if you know what are you doing and if you flash with appropriate version of BIOS.
I did it on my brother computer. He had this problem: Older mainboard and new Athlon processor. Mainboard with old BIOS does'nt support that new Athlon processor. So I put old AMD K7 processor on mainboard, turn it on and flash bios with new bios file (I download this file on mainboard manufactorer web site!)! After that mainboard work perfectly with new Athlon processor!
Somethimes, flashing BIOS is only solution. My friend have IBM Thnikpad notebook and had have a problem with restarting. When he restart windows, notebook goes shutting down, and newer turn on!!! This was a small error in whole series of this notebooks and only solution was bios flashing with new bios file.
On my Acer Aspire notebook upgrading BIOS was a solution for minor system clock errors.

Few warnings!!!
- never do this if you realy nead it!
- use only manufactorer subscribe flash program
- use only BIOS flash file that you downloaded from mainboard manufactorer web site
- be certain that is right flash file for your mainboard type
- if is possible, make a backup of old BIOS file before flash it with new one.
Haku
Yea yea, but i can't flash. In the readme file it said that if you're goin to flash it with a non-FAT32 system you have to do a speciall way, and it says not to flash directly from a floppy disk, but when you boot your computer in BIOS with a boot disk the harddrives wont work, they aren't supposed either, but you need to keep the bios program and the bios flash version stored somewhere, but where? The readme files tells me to use my RAMDrive but i do not have one, and i can't install one either, so if someone does know how to install a RAMDrive i would be very thankful. Bye

[Edit: Here's how i do it and where im stuck when im trying to flash!]
Code:

Materials:

Floppy Disks:

1: Windows 98 Boot Disk
2: Disk with the bios program and version.
3: Empty Disk to insert the old bios into.

[[[[[[[-]]]]]]]

1: First i insert the Boot Disk into the drive and reboot my computer
2: When the computer is booted in DOS i insert the disk with the bios.
3: I try to copy all the files, but the hard drives doesn't "respond", in the readme it says i need a RAMDisk.
4: If i would've copied the files i would flash the bios by writing:
<flash-program-name> <new version of bios>.910
5: Now it should ask me if i wanna copy my ols BIOS, i insert the empty disk, write "y" and then "a:" to copy the files to the empty disk.
6: Reboot the computer and everything should work!

[[[[[[[-]]]]]]]

So the only thing i've problem with is the 3rd step! Could someone please help me? im getting desperate. Thanks.

Dustwars9
This site might help you it is from a g4tech show. You probably just need to double click the file you downloaded and it might automatically shutdown your computer and install the new bios for you. http://www.cyberwalker.com/faqs/bios-update/
Haku
Not with my BIOS Sad
GuranaTEAM
Haku wrote:
How do you update/restore bios? (AMD if that matters)
and where do get the update/restore file?
I've got a motherboard of this model:
MSI K8T Neo2 FIR (604-6702E-010)

I think it's my bios that's messing my graphics up in many games, cuz once i were goin to a LAN, and my cpu didn't start up, so i went into BIOS and tried to fixed it, and then i did, but when it starts up alot of strange logos, and weird numbers and stuff show up and slow the startup with like +30sec and the graphics is weird, im getting artifacts in almost all games, (especially new ones)

Thanks on beforehand!(can you say that in english?)

U need to go to the motherboard's web site and look for BIOS updates. U need to download the flash and they will give u others instructions !
Haku
Quote:
U need to go to the motherboard's web site and look for BIOS updates. U need to download the flash and they will give u others instructions !

Oh, really? Have you read what i've said in the past posts? Cuz' yeah i got the BIOS, that's not the problem, it's installing it that is. I have to have something to have my bios on while im flashing, and the guide at my motherboard company told me to use a ramdisk, but there isn't one anywhere that works with XP and while im in DOS mode. In the guide it said "do not flash directly from a floppy!!!!" sp i can't do that either...
neil_swann80
Haku wrote:
"do not flash directly from a floppy!!!!" sp i can't do that either...

I had the same entry in my mobo's manual. The mobo needed flashing as a last resort, so I did it from the floppy anyway and it worked ok for me.

But if you're unsure... "if it aint broke, don't fix it"!
Haku
It is broken, and i want to fix it.
I dunno if i wanna flash it from a floppy...
Screap
you can download a Live Updater for all MSI mainboards it will download all new Updates (also BIOS update) for your MSI hardware. Everything will be done automaticly.
Try this link for the program:
http://www.msi.com.tw/program/support/software/swr/spt_swr_detail.php?UID=526&kind=5
Haku
Hey, if it works, i owe you one! a big one!!!!