FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Problems with USB

lmeurer
Hello im having problems with my USB driver. I use win XP and when i connect a device driver ( pen driver, mp3 or cam ) in my usb its detect but a letter referent to this unit dont appear to me in explorer.

Someone here have already had this problem ?

How u have fixed it ??

Thanks
Sunny
Never had this problem but I think I know why its happening

Insert the Pen Driver, after it detects go to Disk Management(Right click on my computer>>Manage>>Disk Mangement) and see if a "letter" is assigned to it. If so try to open it directly by doing following

Click start>run> type e: and hit enter (assuming e is assigned by xp)

If this works let me know, i'll tell u the solution to fix it.
lmeurer
Sunny wrote:
Never had this problem but I think I know why its happening

Insert the Pen Driver, after it detects go to Disk Management(Right click on my computer>>Manage>>Disk Mangement) and see if a "letter" is assigned to it. If so try to open it directly by doing following

Click start>run> type e: and hit enter (assuming e is assigned by xp)

If this works let me know, i'll tell u the solution to fix it.

It works, i was doing this to use my pen and may cam. How can i fix my problem ??

Thankz

;D
KHO
Did it get a drive letter when you first installed it? And did windows pick up the drivers automatically or did you install from a disk? And if you installed from disk, do you still have the disk or a copy of the .iso or whatever your preference in backup is?
lmeurer
KHO wrote:
Did it get a drive letter when you first installed it? And did windows pick up the drivers automatically or did you install from a disk? And if you installed from disk, do you still have the disk or a copy of the .iso or whatever your preference in backup is?

When i installed my windows the usb was working very well, and this problem started to happens when i reintaled the win. I dont know whats happening but im thinking in format my pc. !!

;/
Bockman
I think you'll be able to manually set a diferent drive for each device (my advice, use different letters from the one's you had initially, use from "W" onwards).
This usually happens to me when I have logon scripts running and assign the same drive to a network share. If it's the same letter, it gets screwed up.

Be Well Cool
Sunny
As you said you can open your cam/pen drive using the direct link, I think may be a 3rd party software is causing the problem, it could be a image viewer software which searches for images etc. Do you have any software like that? Since when u started gretting this problem, do you remember if u installed any software just before that ?
KHO
You may wish to try one method Ive found to be the easiest and often enough the answer to the problem. Make sure you have any and all software needed to re-install the devices and that they are in working order first, keep them handy. Plug in the device, then find all instances of them inside device manage (so like inside the cameras and scanners area, etc.) remove them by hitting delete or uninstalling them via the - sign. Also do the same for any "Unknown Device" inside the USB area. Unplug the device and wait 10sec then plug back in and re-install. This often fixes the problem, if not I would say you have something conflicting with the program needed to recognize the device.
lmeurer
Sunny wrote:
As you said you can open your cam/pen drive using the direct link, I think may be a 3rd party software is causing the problem, it could be a image viewer software which searches for images etc. Do you have any software like that? Since when u started gretting this problem, do you remember if u installed any software just before that ?

ill try to see it... im gonna chek it today when i arrive home.
internetjobs
one patch is available for flash memory, u download that patch and install...
Relentless
Just reinstall the drivers for your USB hub...

As windows has all drivers for evices preinstalled.. windows may have lost them..
solki
What type of chipset has your mobo? Is it VIA? if it is try applying the Via patch.
spykE
Maybe you have accidentally selected to hide it?