FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Daughter does not like to study economics

raaeft1
My daughter is in Class XI in a school in India. My predicament is that she does not study much as she finds economics boring and dry. She says that she cannot rote learn. Inevitably, she has been scoring low marks in class tests. How do I make her study and learn economics so that she can improve her scores.
Liu
Tutor her? It's helpful if you study the material along with her to help her get through it.

If you don't have time, you can try hiring a tutor.

Or encourage her to spend extra time with the teacher.
myrevolt
She may need to try a different strategy to learn the material. I am about to start a stock exchange simulation, in which we use monopoly money to try to earn as much money as we can over a few months. Maybe something interactive such as that well get her motivated because it is not quite as boring as learning out of a textbook.
-]X[iNTaYkE]X[-
well, as a student myself, I think that a parent trying to force their child to do better in a class would just make things worse. if you want them to do better, just give them a reminder once in a while about how their scores can affect their future. this should encourage them to do better because i'm sure that no one wants to be unsuccessful in life...
FaLLeN
Yerp, its all about getting her interested, its the same as me and english, i have no use for it the career i want and i find it pointless and that its only use is to give teachers a job once we get to high school. So either there is no possible to get her interested, or she just needs to get motivated, mabye tell her that if she does good in that, that it will lead to jobs that pay high money...thats a start Embarassed Very Happy

Good luck!
-]X[iNTaYkE]X[-
haha, i highly agree with fallen. same ideas except its english and history... anyways... if you try any of our suggestions, tell us how she reacts..
hardcoregamer808
-]X[iNTaYkE]X[- wrote:
haha, i highly agree with fallen. same ideas except its english and history... anyways... if you try any of our suggestions, tell us how she reacts..

Yes, History=Gay... I know it's suppose to teach us to not do stuff that we did in the past but so far all my teachers have been douchebags...
-]X[iNTaYkE]X[-
eh, get back on topic, this thread is about economics, not history -.-
Captain Fertile
Quote:
How do I make her study and learn economics so that she can improve her scores.

I don't know how old your daughter is but trying to 'make her study' is impossible.

You can make it easier for her to study by supporting her as much as possible and allowing her time and the chance to work (which I am sure you are already doing) but if she finds the subject of little interest there is nothing more you can do - sadly, we can't learn on behalf of our kids, they have to do it themselves.

The topic she is having difficulty is not the most exciting for many, I know I switched off and simply could not get any taste for that kind of work.

Could you maybe try incentives or rewards of some kind? I don't normally suggest such things but when all else fails it is worth a try if you are trully worried about her future as much as you appear.

Hope something here is a crumb of comfort or help. Smile

Keep us informed how she gets on.
Ducksteina
I think you can force anyone to study anything.
Why don't you simply let her study what she wants to? Even if you force her to study it: that doesn't guarantees that she'll like her future job.
Just let everybody do what her or she wants to do...
Davidgr1200
If she doesn't like studying economics perhaps she likes studying something else? Not everyone can be an economist. There are plenty of different subjects which lead to jobs and careers so she should choose the one she is most happy with. Do you really want your daughter to spend her life something which she presumably hates?
mOrpheuS
raaeft1 wrote:
My daughter is in Class XI in a school in India. My predicament is that she does not study much as she finds economics boring and dry. She says that she cannot rote learn. Inevitably, she has been scoring low marks in class tests. How do I make her study and learn economics so that she can improve her scores.

Rote learning in economics Confused

There are subjects that are all about memorizing stuff, but economics is not quite in that league (think zoology Laughing ).
I might be wrong in all probability.

Infact, I'm surprised that someone who hates rote learning doesn't enjoy playing around with numbers.

As to making her interested ... well nothing that can be guaranteed to work. But as Liu and others have said, it might help if someone can tutor her - enthusiasm is also contagious. Razz

Davidgr1200 wrote:
If she doesn't like studying economics perhaps she likes studying something else? Not everyone can be an economist. There are plenty of different subjects which lead to jobs and careers so she should choose the one she is most happy with. Do you really want your daughter to spend her life something which she presumably hates?

A change in stream (economics/commerce to something else) would be ideal and in 11th class, this might be the last time to do it yet, however it is usually not possible unless the student is willing to drop a year (I might be wrong about that).

Captain Fertile wrote:
I don't know how old your daughter is but trying to 'make her study' is impossible.

@Captain Fertile, a typical class 11 student (at least in India) is about 15-16 years old.
wise
well, as a matter of fact, she does not likes the subject matter. The best possible reason behind this disgust is that there has been some kind of failure associated with it in first stance. Maybe, her teacher has not been able to make her get the gist of the subject matter. what you got to do, is simply help her love it. spoon feed her in the first place. Let her get a liking of it. then slowly let her be on her own, while still guiding her, just like when showing a small child how to ride a bicycle.

Thats all.
calicamper
Quote:

Maybe try small incentives that go along with the econ subject. For example if she does well on an exam give her a small amount of money to invest in the stock market. And make it a regular thing, a good report card comes back and the two of you invest. It's interesting because it's money, it's helpfull because she'll get a head start on investing (learning how to research companies and attempting to predict how their financials will come back), and it's even related to economics.
JBotAlan
You will not be able to get her to study. She has made up her mind; let her live out her decision. I know this; my parents realized pretty quickly that there's not much they can do to influence how I study.

Let her get low marks. If she fails the class and has to go back and retake it, let her. There's no way that you will be able to influence her. And if you attach incentives to her success, she will lose motivation as soon as these incentives are gone. The only incentive you can provide is a negative one--if she gets bad marks, she loses privileges. She'll get her grades up real quick.

JBot
Jayfarer
You can't really do much other than inspire her and get her help. It's really hard to learn anything without some passion for it. It's possible, but it's also miserable.
goutha
Well, you can try to make economics interesting by giving her real examples that illustrate what's inside these economic formulas.

I hope it will help.

But without conviction... even if she will finish her diploma, she'll not be happy to work in this feild... ant that' worse...