FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

How can I install Linux without CD-Rom & FDD?

k10000s
I have a Compaq Amada M300 (CPU-P600 Ram-128M Hdd-25G:15G-windows2000, 10G-Linux). I will install Linux on this laptop. However, I don't have Multibay. I only have usb CD-Rom. As I know, this model cannot boot from usb CD-Rom. Win 2000 is installed in this laptop. I found that most of Linux install CD are need to boot from CD-Rom. How can I install Linux on this??

I will try to inatall "Ubunto" Linux on this laptop. Can you recommend other Linux for low h.w. system laptop?
{name here}
There are a few unix-like OSes that still offer floppy drive boots, though you still need to have a CD-ROM drive to boot. Other options include USB memory sticks and business card CDs.

You only option I would think would be to install an alternate BIOS that will boot USB drives. It is quite dangerous, though, as if you corrupt your BIOS the computer will never be able to start.

However Ubuntu has a windows installer you could use, but you still have to burn the CD IIRC.

I'm just wondering why you'd want to get rid of probably the best windows version you can get - it isn't as bloated as XP but you get essentially the same thing and you can have just about the same amount of security without the need for anything except for a firewall if you really need to.
ezekiel_rage
k10000s wrote:
I have a Compaq Amada M300 (CPU-P600 Ram-128M Hdd-25G:15G-windows2000, 10G-Linux). I will install Linux on this laptop. However, I don't have Multibay. I only have usb CD-Rom. As I know, this model cannot boot from usb CD-Rom. Win 2000 is installed in this laptop. I found that most of Linux install CD are need to boot from CD-Rom. How can I install Linux on this??

I will try to inatall "Ubunto" Linux on this laptop. Can you recommend other Linux for low h.w. system laptop?

The way I see it, you want to install a linux distro from windows.

First you need to get a program that will let you boot a linux boot loader from Windows' NTLOADER bootloader.

So, you have to download GRUB4DOS. the site also have a nice tutorial http://grub4dos.sourceforge.net/
Nyizsa
Take a look at http://www.goodbye-microsoft.com...
k10000s
Thank you for everybody. I will try to install "Ubuntu". I found "Install.exe" file which can run on windows. But I am not sure that using the file is same as using CD. Anyway I will try~
ssthanapati
i also want to do d same but cudnt get it. a bit more explanation plz
sush
You can install a Linux distro from within windows and then run it natively. You just need VMWare or something similar, create a new virtual machine and allow it to use your entire hard disk as the disk for the VM. Boot up the VM, and let it use your CD drive (or an ISO image) for booting (this isn't the same as a "real" boot, so it'll work).

Then when you're running the linux distro setup inside the VM (inside windows) just let it install to the partition which you've kept aside for linux (I hope you have).

VMWare says: For the most current documentation, please see http://www.vmware.com/info?id=127 and click the link "Installing an Operating System onto a Physical Partition from a Virtual Machine."
LostOverThere
For low spec systems, I would recommened Slackware, it can be as small as 100mb, and is very well with people with as low as 4mb of RAM.
[FuN]goku
sush wrote:
You can install a Linux distro from within windows and then run it natively. You just need VMWare or something similar, create a new virtual machine and allow it to use your entire hard disk as the disk for the VM. Boot up the VM, and let it use your CD drive (or an ISO image) for booting (this isn't the same as a "real" boot, so it'll work).

VMWare is good for server stuff but its kind of slow if u dont have enuff ram.. or a good processor... Though its alot better than Microsoft Virtual PC

LostOverThere wrote:
For low spec systems, I would recommened Slackware, it can be as small as 100mb, and is very well with people with as low as 4mb of RAM.

Yes i think slackware is one of the best type of linux distros you can get. Very Happy
though ive only tried small distros of it... like slax and.... errm a few others.. but theyre not bad either.
theswolf
Every distro with the system snapshot has also some INSTALL.TXT instructions and here they explain how to boot a small initrd image (base kernel with usb drivers ) on floppy an dthen to install the whole system.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Installation/WithFloppies can saves you
Zzz.
http://goodbye-microsoft.com/

by clicking there, you'll be able to install Debian with no CD and FDD (weel, in theory Wink )