FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Laptop Battery Life

Tony The Tiger
I have a Dell Inspiron 8200 purchased in January 2003. The original battery life for these is about 2.5 hours. My original battery now gives the low battery warning after 22 minutes. I got a new battery in 2005. It has about a 65-70 minute life now.

Is there anything that can be done to restore battery life? Is there anything that can be done to prevent loss of battery life?
Animal
Tony The Tiger wrote:
I have a Dell Inspiron 8200 purchased in January 2003. The original battery life for these is about 2.5 hours. My original battery now gives the low battery warning after 22 minutes. I got a new battery in 2005. It has about a 65-70 minute life now.

Is there anything that can be done to restore battery life? Is there anything that can be done to prevent loss of battery life?

Good man! I'm glad I'm not the only one still using some "slightly" out-of-date technology like the 8200! Razz

Unfortunately, once the battery has diminished, there's nothing you can do. I'm onto my third battery in 4-and-a-bit years. However, the best way to preserve battery life is to only use it when necessary. I use my laptop on a desk most of the time, so I plug it in and slide the battery partly out of the slot (but not completely - it sticks out of the laptop by about a half inch). That way, the battery is not touching the electrical terminals, and is therefore not constantly being charged a little and discharged a little, charged a little and discharged a little, charged a little and discharged a little... If I want to move, I simply click the battery in and pull the plug. The order is quite important Wink Vice-versa when I return to the desk.

There has been some research done by Samsung (I think... can't find the link for you, but I'll keep looking) that suggests batteries should only be charged to a maximum 80% to prevent damaging them. However, when I spoke to Dell and complained rather vocally about my frequent battery replacements, I was told that each battery was expected to last a year, so I think that this kind of "wear and tear" is one of these things that has to be expected unfortunately.
Tony The Tiger
I have been fortunate with my second battery which still holds over an hour two years later. I am suspicious that the first one got switched because I left my computer unattended frequently in a University computer lab with a bunch of Ph.D. students. It seems like almost overnight my battery life went from 1.5 hours to under a half hour.

I think you are right about leaving the battery disengaged because the old one still has the exact amount of capacity that it had when it was swapped out two years ago and has only been engaged once to test it this week.

Tomorrow, I am upgrading to a new computer finally. However, I am switching to HP so I will need my old DELL whenever I need servicing. HP requires that you send them your machine, while my old DELL customer service would send a technician to me.
rungroj
Tony The Tiger wrote:

I think your battery almost dead. no way to do anything.
notaznatall
I guess there isn't much you can do about that,except maybe recycle the old battery because it might leak if it isn't used in a while. Very Happy
SyncM
Battery is complex some like to by completly empty and then refiled to max because of the memory in the battery. Other get hurt by be completly empty look at your battery and seen what type it is and then google for advise or post. If you are lucky you can get some of the power back. But battery is fresh material and you need to change them after a couple year.