FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

How to boost internet Connection?

pollux1er
I want to open this topic to summarize principal tips that we can do to speed our internet connection via windows. Just post tips that you know here. Thanks to all
{name here}
pollux1er wrote:
I want to open this topic to summarize principal tips that we can do to speed our internet connection via windows. Just post tips that you know here. Thanks to all

You can't change your internet connection speeds significantly unless you have malware to remove. You have to upgrade your internet connection otherwise.
pollux1er
{name here} wrote:
pollux1er wrote:

You can't change your internet connection speeds significantly...

What you say is true. Normally we can not change the debit of our internet connection. But we can make it seems that it has increased. And therefore there are tips that we can change under windows management to make it. There are tips.
{name here}
pollux1er wrote:
{name here} wrote:
pollux1er wrote:

What you say is true. Normally we can not change the debit of our internet connection. But we can make it seems that it has increased. And therefore there are tips that we can change under windows management to make it. There are tips.

If you're talking about that 20% bandwidth thing, it isn't true.
Darius
You don't make sense. Do you mean "increase speed" as in "i should have faster connection, since i don't reach the maximum speed" or "i reach max but i want more for free"?
Kenichi
The best I think you can do is change the internal windows settings. Such as the TTL. Some browsers, such as firefox, have an internal set of settings that can make website viewing much faster. However, this isn't going to increase the speed of your internet. It will only optimize the way your computer accesses the internet. There are tons of programs online that can configure the windows settings automatically. I don't remember how to access the firefox ones.
MrBlueSky
For faster browsing check out fasterfox: http://fasterfox.mozdev.org/

Although it (offcourse) doesn't increase the speed of your internet connection it does allow you to use it as efficient as possible to browse the web as fast as possible.
{name here}
MrBlueSky wrote:
For faster browsing check out fasterfox: http://fasterfox.mozdev.org/

Although it (offcourse) doesn't increase the speed of your internet connection it does allow you to use it as efficient as possible to browse the web as fast as possible.

Some sites will kick you off if you use it in the maximum mode since you open up multiple connections so I wouldn't recommend doing that.
MrBlueSky
{name here} wrote:

Some sites will kick you off if you use it in the maximum mode since you open up multiple connections so I wouldn't recommend doing that.

Every browser opens multiple connections to the same host to fetch images (standard max. 8 connections when you use IE). So you can safely allow multiple connections, but maybe not to many. Sites that still block this are few, if even existent. And if you visit such a site you can disable the speed-settings of fasterfox with a click of a button (or use another browser).
pollux1er
{name here} wrote:
pollux1er wrote:
{name here} wrote:
pollux1er wrote:

It has been proven! What i say is true!
GSIS
One way is to edit your hosts file to eliminate waits for unwanted links. Here's part of mine. PM me with an email address if you want the whole thing. There is a version online somewhere but I can't remember where.

Quote:
# This file contains the mappings of IP addresses to host names. Each
# entry should be kept on an individual line. The IP address should
# be placed in the first column followed by the corresponding host name.
# The IP address and the host name should be separated by at least one
# space.
#
# Additionally, comments (such as these) may be inserted on individual
# lines or following the machine name denoted by a '#' symbol.
#
# For example:
#
# 102.54.94.97 rhino.acme.com # source server
# 38.25.63.10 x.acme.com # x client host

127.0.0.1 localhost # Default hosts entry - required

127.0.0.1 007arcadegames.com # Added 21-Dec-2005
127.0.0.1 101order.com # Added 21-Dec-2005
127.0.0.1 123banners.com # Added 21-Dec-2005
127.0.0.1 123found.com # Added 21-Dec-2005
127.0.0.1 180searchassistant.com # Added 21-Dec-2005
127.0.0.1 180solutions.com # Added 21-Dec-2005
127.0.0.1 247media.com # Added 21-Dec-2005
127.0.0.1 247realmedia.com # Added 21-Dec-2005
127.0.0.1 24pm-affiliation.com # Added 21-Dec-2005
127.0.0.1 2log.com # Added 21-Dec-2005
127.0.0.1 2o7.net # Added 21-Dec-2005
127.0.0.1 4affiliate.net # Added 21-Dec-2005
127.0.0.1 4d5.net # Added 21-Dec-2005
127.0.0.1 7adpower.com # Added 21-Dec-2005
127.0.0.1 911promotion.com # Added 21-Dec-2005

127.0.0.1 a-counter.kiev.ua # Added 21-Dec-2005
127.0.0.1 a.consumer.net # Added 21-Dec-2005
127.0.0.1 ad-universe.com # Added 21-Dec-2005
127.0.0.1 ad-up.com # Added 21-Dec-2005
127.0.0.1 ad.100.tbn.ru # Added 21-Dec-2005
127.0.0.1 ad.37.com # Added 21-Dec-2005
127.0.0.1 ad.4web.cz # Added 21-Dec-2005
127.0.0.1 ad.71i.de # Added 21-Dec-2005
127.0.0.1 ad.abcnews.com # Added 21-Dec-2005
billgertz
there's lots of tips available on the internet. you can simply search internet tweak or internet booster and you will get tons of search results. there's lots of things to consider on the connection like what type of connection you have e.g. DSL, Wireless Fidelity etc. who provides your Internet Connection, what specs that you PC have? what are the programs installed on your PC and others.

my tip is, select the sites that your visiting. maybe creating an account with limited access will help. use it when you get online not the one that has administrative privilege.
pollux1er
billgertz wrote:
there's lots of tips available on the internet. you can simply search internet tweak or internet booster and you will get tons of search results. there's lots of things to consider on the connection like what type of connection you have e.g. DSL, Wireless Fidelity etc. who provides your Internet Connection, what specs that you PC have? what are the programs installed on your PC and others.

my tip is, select the sites that your visiting. maybe creating an account with limited access will help. use it when you get online not the one that has administrative privilege.

We know there are many tips to boost internet connection. What i was waiting from you is to post them in this topic so that when somedy open this topic, he finds many tips to boost its internet connection.

All what you said id true. Thanks to understand me.
{name here}
pollux1er wrote:
{name here} wrote:
pollux1er wrote:
{name here} wrote:
pollux1er wrote:

Microsoft even has an entry on their site that says that it is, in fact, false, and connection speeds slow down as a result. It's not for what you think it's for. Microsoft calibrated it to be as optimal as it can be. People have always reported slow downs after applying this.
corey
The best thing that one can do is to see if Windows (or any other OS, for that matter) is using the connection to the best it can. Depending on the version of Windows and the type of connection, you may be able to tweak the speed here and there.

With dialup modems, the best increase can be found in ensuring that the packet size that is sent is the right size to be sent and then received without being broken up. Turn off MTU discovery for secure sites that block ICMP pings. These things can reduce lag from packets being broken up unnecessarily or wait times for an ACK.

For PPPOoE connections liek with many DSL lines, ensure the same, that you're not sending a packet witht he full ethernet size of 1500 bits. Find out what your ISP uses and ensure that you reduce the size to allow for the header in such a packet.

Things like this can optimize a slow connection due to misconfiguration not done by the user. Try some of the tips at DSL Reports under the tweak test and see how you fare. WARNING: there's a lot of documentation there, so be sure to remember to come back here.
LostOverThere
To be honest, the best thing anyone can do is disable their Windows Firewall. When in Windows, with the Windows Firewall turned on, my internet slows down by 50kb/s.
OS Master
You could always pay more, but there are lots of TCP/IP optimization tips on the Web that are worth doing. I tried a couple and they worked. There are also good browser tweaks.
Arno v. Lumig
pollux1er wrote:
{name here} wrote:

I pay for 1 MBit per second. That means I can receive 1,000,000 bits every seconds (actually a few more, as 1kbit is in fact 1024 bits).
If my connection reaches that (If I am downloading at that speed), there is no speed increase to be made.
If I do NOT reach 1,000,000 bits every second, there is a slowdown somewhere in my connection. Then things can be tweaked and optimised.
All this tweaking and optimising might be 20% in the end, but I doubt it.

EDIT: Yarrr... Hail my leet quote skills!
internetjobs
there is software for boosting downloads as well as browsing...
for downloading you van use download manger like that softwares, if you want to improve performance in exploer you want to install a software for it... in any way you want to pay your isp provider for the amount of data transfered....
pollux1er
internetjobs wrote:
there is software for boosting downloads as well as browsing...
for downloading you van use download manger like that softwares, if you want to improve performance in exploer you want to install a software for it... in any way you want to pay your isp provider for the amount of data transfered....

We all know about that i presume! Crying or Very sad
orcaz
It is common that you usually don't get the speed u haf purchased, esp wif overseas sites and servers which have a preset limit. some servers limit the number of connections or ur connection speed in order to reduce the strain on the server, so u won't get ur max speed when u go to such sites.
Josso
All I can think of is doing some spyware checks and making sure that any other program isn't eating your bandwidth.
vln004
pollux1er wrote:
{name here} wrote:
pollux1er wrote:

you can actually go farther then that. I remember there was a way of physically modifying your cable modem to make it download faster, going past the isp's bandwidth cap. however, that was a few years ago and i don't know if there is a still a method for doing that floating around somewhere. good luck googling it though. Very Happy

for a quick fix of speed, you can try downloading an adblocking package, it'll load pages faster by not downloading the ads on pages. This is beneficial to you, however the website owner won't be too happy (just something to consider)
Studio Madcrow
vln004 wrote:

you can actually go farther then that. I remember there was a way of physically modifying your cable modem to make it download faster, going past the isp's bandwidth cap. however, that was a few years ago and i don't know if there is a still a method for doing that floating around somewhere. good luck googling it though. Very Happy

Note that actually DOING that would be HIGHLY illegal and could result in your service getting cancelled and all sorts of nasty fines.
pollux1er
Studio Madcrow wrote:
vln004 wrote:

Note that actually DOING that would be HIGHLY illegal and could result in your service getting cancelled and all sorts of nasty fines.

It is not intentionally bad but it is a sacrifice to make if we really need to boost our pages downloading.
aningbo
i came across a lot of stuffs but i guess you should have the motto BE LEGAL when ur identity can be easily track. anyways google and u will find wat you look for. have fun.
exhaust
Hi,

Some cable modems will alow you to "hack" - "upload;new flash image".
From 1Mbit to 5Mbit!!!?
And so one.
google mode hack...
Indyan
On slower connections softwares like Onspeed ( www.onspeed.com ) are extremely useful. I could really feel the difference when I had a dialup connection.
bulek
You may try cFosSpeed which is specialized for optimizing internet connections. Some people say that it mightily optimizes line, but I only felt small modification in speed.
infobankr
You can also setup a Squid caching server, and cache your dns lookups, this will "speedup" your internet browsing experience, especially if you have more than one computer sharing a nework.
taitj
I have my internet upload speed capped. Anyone know how to uncap upload speed on broadband motorola modems?
vinx_18
I used faster fox when I use firefox as my web browser... I just love it.. I think u may want to try it also...
BlueVD
depending on what you want you can increase the speed from 10% to almost 100%
Use a proxy server with chache (squid for example) for common things...
Also, I remember some time ago I stumbled upon a program that allowed the user to create virtual network cards. Now this is a major thingie if your ISP just gives you a C class ip and has a server with bandwith limitting options. All you have to do is sniff out a few macs and IP's and fake them when the people aren't running them. Also you need to figure a way out to bind the programs to all of the virtual NIC's. THere are ways to do it. But don't ask me for the programs themselves. Search them out.
pollux1er
LostOverThere wrote:
To be honest, the best thing anyone can do is disable their Windows Firewall. When in Windows, with the Windows Firewall turned on, my internet slows down by 50kb/s.

I think you might be right!
nepalstar
corey wrote:
The best thing that one can do is to see if Windows (or any other OS, for that matter) is using the connection to the best it can. Depending on the version of Windows and the type of connection, you may be able to tweak the speed here and there.

With dialup modems, the best increase can be found in ensuring that the packet size that is sent is the right size to be sent and then received without being broken up. Turn off MTU discovery for secure sites that block ICMP pings. These things can reduce lag from packets being broken up unnecessarily or wait times for an ACK.

For PPPOoE connections liek with many DSL lines, ensure the same, that you're not sending a packet witht he full ethernet size of 1500 bits. Find out what your ISP uses and ensure that you reduce the size to allow for the header in such a packet.

Things like this can optimize a slow connection due to misconfiguration not done by the user. Try some of the tips at DSL Reports under the tweak test and see how you fare. WARNING: there's a lot of documentation there, so be sure to remember to come back here.

Thanks for sharing this information..!