FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Website Program

Chris24
Got offered to do a business website for someone. Does anyone know of a good free open source web program to use for a business site.....Joomla? SMS? etc.

This will be my first paid job so I would like to do it correctly and neatly....The site will mostly be advertising with some links to menus of song list and such...

What do you guys think would be a fair price to charge for doing this....

Any help would be appreciated...
{name here}
Chris24 wrote:
Got offered to do a business website for someone. Does anyone know of a good free open source web program to use for a business site.....Joomla? SMS? etc.

This will be my first paid job so I would like to do it correctly and neatly....The site will mostly be advertising with some links to menus of song list and such...

What do you guys think would be a fair price to charge for doing this....

Any help would be appreciated...

I can tell you right now that Joomla is probably not going to cut it - it's size is unreasonable for what it can do, and it's inefficient. Post-Nuke is going to do absolutely everything you need in just about the same size. However, if you want to go minimalist, Siteframe will do just about everything Joomla can do in half the size.
Chris24
Is Post-Nuke a free program or are there fees associated with it. I am not biased toward Joomla or any program for that matter. Just looking for a good one that will do what I need it to do....

For now will check out Post-Nuke, how is the install? Straight forward?
{name here}
Chris24 wrote:
Is Post-Nuke a free program or are there fees associated with it. I am not biased toward Joomla or any program for that matter. Just looking for a good one that will do what I need it to do....

For now will check out Post-Nuke, how is the install? Straight forward?

It is free. The install is just about like every other PHP/MySQL powered install - you pull up the install in your browser, select the language, enter the MySQL database details, then enter the admin username and password, then confirm, then it writes all the values into the database. You remove the install directory, then go into your website. It should work, then you can begin customizing.

My only gripe with postnuke is its templating system absolutely stinks unless you use Xanthia, and even then it isn't even close to the ease of smarty templating(the templating system under the hood of SiteFrame and several other CMSes). Then again, if you're going for those "full package" CMSes like Joomla and Post-Nuke there's no doubt that you're going to get an under par templating system but a somewhat decent everything else.
-]X[iNTaYkE]X[-
i'm not familiar with post nuke but i can tell you that PHP-Nuke is a very good Content management system to use for any site. there are literally tons of themes that can be used with it and it has a lot of customization options. php-nuke also has a lot of mods that can make the site attractive and useful...
aningbo
both of theme are fairly same and installation is straight forward.

but for a business website, why on earth would u like those open source for? what kinda business is this>???
-]X[iNTaYkE]X[-
I agree. For any buisness site, its much better to use a design that was specially made for the buisness than to use an open source CMS.
{name here}
aningbo wrote:
both of theme are fairly same and installation is straight forward.

but for a business website, why on earth would u like those open source for? what kinda business is this>???

There are several businesses I know of that use Post-Nuke(don't ask for the URLs, I don't remember them and one of them is an acquaintance's but I don't know where he is anymore), though many of them go for the thousand dollar ones.
Chris24
Will look into other programs as well. Was checking out the post nuke, dont know how well it would work....It is a site for a DJ