FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!


Some advice needed...





william
OK, my friends are always ask me for advice relating to computers. Most cases, I'm able to give them good advice. But...not this time.

My friend is planning on purchasing a high end laptop, and he's trying to figure out the best combination of the CPU, RAM, and Hard Drive.

Options for a CPU:
-Core 2 Duo T7200 (2 GHz)
-Core 2 Duo T7400 (2.16 GHz)
-Core 2 Duo T7600 (2.33 GHz)

Options for RAM:
-1 GB Corsair PC5300 DDR2
-2 GB Corsair PC5300 DDR2

Options for Hard Drive:
-80 GB at 5400 RPM
-80 GB at 7200 RPM
-100 GB at 7200 RPM

Settling for the top components throws this laptop out of his price range. The possible combinations for what he can afford are:

T7200 - 2 GB - 100 GB at 7200 RPM
T7400 - 1 GB - 100 GB at 7200 RPM
T7400 - 2 GB - 80 GB at 5400 RPM
T7600 - 1 GB- 80 GB at 5400 RPM (this is a bit above his price range)

He can also settle for anything lower, but he's trying to choose between these four combinations. He said that he just might be able to shell out enough for a T7400, 2 GB of RAM, and a 100 GB hard drive.

What would you guys recommend for him?

Thanks in advance.
Jaan
The T7400, 2GB RAM, and 100GB disk is exactly what I have. It owns me, and owns you too. Recommended.
DecayClan
The second option is what i would choose, because the hdd is a lot faster, and teh cpu is pretty good. Buy it, and later on, maybe buy an other 1GB of ram.(make sure that the ram you are buying is something like 1x1024.

T7400 - 1 GB - 100 GB at 7200 RPM
william
Jaan wrote:
The T7400, 2GB RAM, and 100GB disk is exactly what I have. It owns me, and owns you too. Recommended.


Yeah, that's what he really wants, but he's going to have to spend a bit extra to get it.

DecayClan wrote:
The second option is what i would choose, because the hdd is a lot faster, and teh cpu is pretty good. Buy it, and later on, maybe buy an other 1GB of ram.(make sure that the ram you are buying is something like 1x1024.

T7400 - 1 GB - 100 GB at 7200 RPM


OK, that's also the recommendation I gave him. The 1 GB of RAM is a single stick, and there is a second slot.

Does anyone else have some advice?

Thanks everyone.
Animal
In my opinion, he should go with the Core 2 Duo T7200 (2 GHz). The T7400 and T7600 are only marginally faster, but they cost a disproportionately large amount of money. The T7400 is only 160MHz faster, and I can't see the value in the extra cost. If he went with the T7200, he would get the extra RAM and part of the faster / bigger hard drive for the same money as the computer with the faster processor but less ram and HD.

The computer with the slower processor would run faster with 2Gb of RAM than the faster processor with 1Gb of ram. The faster hard disk is just a bonus really.
william
Animal wrote:
In my opinion, he should go with the Core 2 Duo T7200 (2 GHz). The T7400 and T7600 are only marginally faster, but they cost a disproportionately large amount of money. The T7400 is only 160MHz faster, and I can't see the value in the extra cost. If he went with the T7200, he would get the extra RAM and part of the faster / bigger hard drive for the same money as the computer with the faster processor but less ram and HD.

The computer with the slower processor would run faster with 2Gb of RAM than the faster processor with 1Gb of ram. The faster hard disk is just a bonus really.


Actually, that might just be a better idea. I think the T7400 is around $200 more than the T7200. I've been looking for side by side comparisons of the T7200 and T7400, and I still haven't found them, yet. Anyhow, my friend is going to make this into a gaming laptop, (I told him a desktop would be better but he really wanted a laptop), so he wants whatever is the fastest in his price range. Thanks again everyone.

Any more advice would be greatly appreciated.
DecayClan
Well, if he wants it especially for gaming, then, what about the VGA?
What GPU?memory of it? That is more important if he wants it for games... If he gets a slower cpu with a VGA a lot better than the other, the difference in games will be huge~!

So, what about vga?
william
There's only one option for a GPU, and that's the nVidia GeForce Go 7600GS with 256 MB of VRAM. The monitor is 15.4" with a native resolution 1650x1050.
Related topics
Wireless networking advice needed.
First Nice Car - General Advice Needed.
HELP PLEASE! LOTS OF ADVICE NEEDED!
Laptop advice needed - Around 1000 budget.
Advice needed on a dell notebook
URL Cloaking / mod_rewrite advice needed
Python v Perl v php for Wiki advice needed
Feeding your dog right (advice, please...)
Need Advice for Healthy Living After Major Heart Attack!
Hire or not to Hire a Website Designer
Making Your Website Look Professional
Oh Gods please stop it!
Me Thinks....
Hi
Reply to topic    Frihost Forum Index -> Computers -> Hardware and Electronics

FRIHOST HOME | FAQ | TOS | ABOUT US | CONTACT US | SITE MAP
© 2005-2011 Frihost, forums powered by phpBB.