FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

What are you running Vista on?

marrs
I am running the ulimate version of windows vista on my six year old pentium3 1 GHZ with 1.5GB ram and a radeon 9800pro 128MB graphics card it works ok its a bit sluggish compared with xp,I havent tryed any games with it yet but my card supports the areo effect also!
Thats a pretty basic set up I have for Vista,has anyone else installed it on a lower spec than mine?

Question
azbuky
For now I run Win Vista on my MSI S271 laptop with higher specs than yours, but I want to try it on a 750 MHz with 1GB of RAM. Do you think it will work?
marrs
Hi azbuky

Dunno really About running Vista on your 750 MHz with 1GB of RAM I have never had such a processor BUT I have set my theme now to classic windows and I find that the system is responding a little quicker Wink

You could maybe set everything to very basic setup and you might get away with it,also depends what graphics card you have.
What else you could do is visit the Microsoft website and download a small program which actually tests your computer for a vista setup.

Good luck!
WickedGravity
Don't let anyone tell you that you need 1GB of Ram, a 512 Video Card and a half a dozen other stupid spec to get Vista to run on your computer.

Disable Aero.

It is that simple. it is ugly anyway. it is the memory hog, the graphic intensive program.

Disable it and see if i am wrong.
tomahawk19
Ok here's the 2 systems I'm running Vista on:

HP dv9205us Laptop
AMD Turion 64 X2 TL-50 (Dual Core 1.6 GHz)
1 GB RAM (2x512 MB) but using ReadyBoost to jump it to almost 2 GB
nvidia geforce go 6150 (Not the greatest but it works)

Custom PC
AMD Athlon 64 AM2 (Dual Core)
2 GB RAM (2x1 GB, expanding to 4 GB soon)
XFX Geforce 7600 GT (2 SLI)

Works amazingly. Soon I'll have Server Longhorn on my testing server.
dimaka
I am running Vista Ultimate with hall range of features on my:
Celeron D 2.4 GHz
512 MB RAM
Radeon 9600 PRO 250 MB

Everything works better then I thought Laughing
bcarasco
lol i have vista ultimate running and it works fine I have dual moniters, a few gigs of ram a couple proccessers
qhot
I am running Vista by Sempron 3000+ and 1G RAM(4) 6100 64M chipset vidiocard,570G HDD(2SATA 2IDE),the Areo was auto open without some way to force to open it by change some keys in the rigister.And I fount no problems until i intstall it,i can run all the game at least WARIII,CS,and use Photoshop FlashFxp too.Its security have been up to a high level,Every setup or operating will be admit by the administrator first.
Kelvin
I am thinking of installing Vista on my P4 2.8GHz OC @ 3.2GHz, 1GB DDR RAM and Radeon 9600 VGA Card system. Don't know if it will run well on the system though. I don't like the installation size of 15GB as well..... doing image backups will be a space killer.
sush
I'm running Vista ultimate (32bit) on
AMD Athlon64 3000+
MSI RS480-M2IL board based on ATI RS480chipset
1gb dual-ch ddr400 ram
onboard ati x200 graphics
40GB samsung HD
16x liteon dvdrw

I have a performance rating of 2.2, rather sad.
{name here}
I'm running Vista on nothing. Very Happy
mOrpheuS
Kelvin wrote:
I don't like the installation size of 15GB as well..... doing image backups will be a space killer.

I have Vista installed and running on a 10GB partition, and still have 3 GB free space. Confused
CyberSpic
My opinion is that Vista is graphical enviroment od XP.
I`ll wait somthing like Vista SP2 Smile
My P3 with 256ram and 64 Nvidia is going to overload with vista
cheeta
I am not running Vista At All....

and dont plan to run either Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad
Xeniczone
Personally right now I think Vista is junk. I got it for my...

AMD X2 4400+ 2.4ghz
1gig DDR2 800 Ram
160gig Hard drive
nVidia GeForce 7900GS

Run fine, and when I first got it I though it was the greatest thing ever. Almost everything in the GUI was taken from macintosh, but i only thought it was the greatest thing until I started installing software and nothing worked.
Arno v. Lumig
WickedGravity wrote:
Don't let anyone tell you that you need 1GB of Ram, a 512 Video Card and a half a dozen other stupid spec to get Vista to run on your computer.

Disable Aero.

It is that simple. it is ugly anyway. it is the memory hog, the graphic intensive program.

Disable it and see if i am wrong.

What's the point of vista when you disable aero?
kiranaghor
I will be running Vista on my
AMD Athlon 64 3000+
Asus A8N E
1 GB DDR RAM
nvidia 6600 256MB

Lets see if it looks better.

I have mac os Tiger running on my ibook and I plan to buy a macbook pro soon. Wow I will be using Leopard + Vista + Linux on same machine using Parallels software. I can't wait ...
Srs2388
I can't run vista lol.... I have 256MB of ram i'd need at least 1GB
pll
marrs wrote:
I am running the ulimate version of windows vista on my six year old pentium3

You surely changed some parts ; I can't run vista on my 3 years old computer (no hardware parts changed).

WickedGravity wrote:
Disable aero.

I completely agree with this ! Aero is almost the only thing on Vista who needs a BIG graphic card.

I'm running vista on :

pentium 4, 3,0ghz
1 GB of ram (separated with the graphic card)
graphic card : 256 Mb ; ATI radeon Xpress 1100
160 Gb of Hard drive + 40 from another hard drive.

When I run msn, my RAM is already took to 50% !!
CyanEyed
im running vista ultimate 32 bit on a custom build pc

amd athlon xp 2400 (1.8ghz OC @ 2.1ghz)
512MB ram (2x256) + 512mb readyboost
180gb hard drive
Radeon 9800 Pro AGP 128mb + 64mb shared system mem

umm, what else can i say?

oh yeah, a very fancy case with flashy lights and 4 fans Razz

its a little bit slower than xp, but nothing too noticable

and aero is the best thing about it.....why would i wanna disable that?
Handyman
I ran rc2 on a custom built pc with:

Pentium D 915 oc'd to 3.2ghz
ecs p4m890t-m2 mobo
1gig pc4200 ram
raedon 9250 256mb ddr
20gig partition on a 250 gig samsung hdd

It ran very well but I still like xp pro better. I think I will wait until M$ releases an sp2 or fixed fixed version. First releases are always not as good as the ones 6months or a year after their release.

Just my $.02
Very Happy
Whong
I don't have Vista at all, but if I had I would need to get a better computer because mine isn't powerful enough. But is Windows Vista really that much better than XP that you'd spend a whole bunch of money on it? Question
tomahawk19
pll wrote:
marrs wrote:
I am running the ulimate version of windows vista on my six year old pentium3

You surely changed some parts ; I can't run vista on my 3 years old computer (no hardware parts changed).

WickedGravity wrote:
Disable aero.

I completely agree with this ! Aero is almost the only thing on Vista who needs a BIG graphic card.

I'm running vista on :

pentium 4, 3,0ghz
1 GB of ram (separated with the graphic card)
graphic card : 256 Mb ; ATI radeon Xpress 1100
160 Gb of Hard drive + 40 from another hard drive.

When I run msn, my RAM is already took to 50% !!

I ran all the Vista Betas on my 5 year old laptop that I had before I bought my new laptop. It was an Intel Celeron, had 512MB RAM, Integrated Video...yeah it worked.
Xeniczone
lol, Vista on a celeron. Wow, I run vista on my AMD 64 X2 thats a dual core processor and it still sucks up 20 percent of my processor. Windows XP would only take 1 percent even less that that sometimes and show 0 percent.

I like vista for it's GUI I hate vista for it's incompadablilities. So disabling Aero would make it look ugly and make it uncompadable with most of my stuff. I perfer Xp.

Vista < XP < Mac OS X
wingzfan99
I'm running Vista on 3 machines, my main being a Pentium 4 with 512 RAM and a 256mb ATI Radeon 9550 (Aero Enabled), the other two are Pentium III's with 256 RAM and 4mb video cards... it actually runs great on those two older machines, but no Aero...
asianwannabe999
I have it on two desktops at the moment. One is an HP A1510n which has the following specs:

AMD Athlon 64 3800+
1 GB DDR ram (2x512)
integrated nVidia Geforce 6150 LE
200 GB SATA
160 GB SATA

It's dual booting XP Pro SP2 and Vista Ultimate, runs Aero theme perfectly fine, even with the low ram and ridiculously crappy video card

On my gaming pc, I've got the following specs:

AMD Athlon 64 FX-62 oc'ed @ 3.1 GHz
ASUS A8N SLI Deluxe mobo
approx. 3.5 GB DDR ram
nVidia GeForce 7600GT x 2 sli'ed (both are xfx)
Creative X-Fi Fatal1ty Pro 7.1
22" samsung widescreen @ 2ms
21" samsung standard @ 8ms
350 GB SATA
350 GB SATA
JayBee
I'm running Vista on linux Laughing

In a real case, I dont like this skin and I don't use it.
bukaida
I am just running the vista transformation pack with glass2k to have all that vista looks on my XP pro. No issue so far.
marrs
Nice to play with!

Good fun!

BUT just Wait until you want to install something!?

Thats where the fun and games end....

Just wait for a service pack before using Vista it should of never been released half finished..
why6487
I'm running Vista on nothing! Vista is a big piece of crap! I'm going to run Andrew Dog Linux in place of Winblows Wista!

Yes, I know "MS-FOS" (I hate hate DOS), "Winblows" (I hate it so much I'm installing Linux on every Windows machine), "Mac OS X" (which /\/\$ stole from) and Linux (I like it).

Still, Macs are now Intel!
YellowShadow
Windows Vista Ultimate

RAM: 2GB
Video Card: Nvidia GeForce 8600 GTS
Hard Drive: 200 GB
AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800+
marrs
YellowShadow wrote:
Windows Vista Ultimate

AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800+

Hello YellowShadow I noticed you have the same set up as myself and I was wondering how you are getting along with it??
Compatibility problems with your old hardware or problems installing software

Please inform me
YellowShadow
marrs wrote:
YellowShadow wrote:
Windows Vista Ultimate

AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800+

Hello YellowShadow I noticed you have the same set up as myself and I was wondering how you are getting along with it??
Compatibility problems with your old hardware or problems installing software

Please inform me

I recently uninstalled Vista but the time that I was running it some applications didn't work such as Quicktime. Software installed almost perfectly and all my hardware worked. I'd say 8/10 for Vista. Still needs a lot of work on it though especially software compatibility Smile
MrBlueSky
I run it in a virtual machine (VMWare).

Speed of the host PC: 2,8 Ghz.
Memory allocated for the Vista Virtual machine: 512 Mb
Onboard video card.
Aero disabled.

Works oke. Well, actually better then I expected with such a restricted environment.
amineelasry
I am running Vista Ultimate on :

Pentium D 3.4 GHz

1 G DDR2 RAM

160 GB hard disk SATA

Graphic card : intel 964Gz express 128 M RAM

it runs very fine
indie_hall
I'm running Vista on a Dell Inspiron 1501.

AMD Turion 64 2.0 GHz
1 GB RAM
60 GB Harddrive (Main)
120 GB USB Harddrive (External Mobile)
ATI Radeon Xpress ??? (the current version of this laptop has a 1150, I have something lower I believe)

My laptop runs pretty well, a memory upgrade would help a ton. I photoshop and write music with my laptop without any problems. Playing games is another story. I have an integrated GPU, so I know better!
william
Well...I was running Windows Vista on my laptop. It has a Core 2 Duo chip, 2 GB of RAM and an nVidia 8600m GT, so it ran really well. However, it was still a pain to use, so I went to Windows XP. It was a lot better, but with Ubuntu 7.10 coming out yesterday...I'll be moving there soon enough.
Srs2388
well i now have a laptop i bought and it came with vista
2 gb of ram
amd turionX64 duo core
ATI Radeon xpress 1150
emem
I WAS running vista on E2140, 2gb pc5300, 320gb sata2, 7600GT. Now I upgraded to XP Smile
Studio Madcrow
I'm not running Vista on anything. I'm not even running XP. For me it's Linux and Win2K SP4 all the way!