FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

does your OPERA freeze ???

loosu
Is your opera Freezing ????

Actually , i installed 9.10 , version of opera , and the situation is actually freezing .

My browser freezes for every access of a webpage and every access , of menus , etc ...

is anybody , having a similar problem ???

solutions if you know ???
bugra9
Sometimes my browser freezes for access of a a lot of webpages.
This problem is very bad. Very Happy
william
I have both Opera 8 and Opera 9 installed on this computer. Neither of them freeze often, if at all. The only time it has frozen is when I had about 20 tabs open, each with large embedded flash files, high resolution images, javascripts files, games, etc. I wouldn't really blame Opera for that, it's happened in Firefox and A LOT more in Internet Explorer.
Indyan
Try this :
From Tools-->Delete Private Data, delete cache,history of typed addresses,history of visited links/pages.

If this solves the problem then just lower the diskspace alloted to the cache. Also reduce no. of typed-in addresses that opera should remember.
loosu
Actually , i performed all the steps u mentioned along with increasing the cache size .

The difference , i notice is that , as opera renders a webpage , i could feel and see explorer and opera , taking up more CPU , than normal .

The problem , is that , when i was using opera 8 , it performed more than this , with as less CPU , than this .

But now , i am completely able to visualize , the change .

Friends , i think its the widget engine , that is causing the change .

The reason , i am using opera 9 is the new Rendering engine , which is more appealing ( i feel so ) , than the existing one .

Any opinions ???
friends ???

Suggestions , to disable , the widget engine ???

Welcome .
PseudoKnight
Widget are more or less useless in a browser imo. Though, I don't hold it against Opera for having it. I don't experience such freezes in 9.10, so I'm not sure I can help you, but increasing your cache will not reduce your problems. In fact, in earlier versions the cache system made things worse in Opera. If you don't know what you're doing, just stick with default.
{name here}
I've never had problems with opera as long as I disabled the cache and looked at pages without directly embedded sound files.
Indyan
Erm.. I didnt ask you to increase the cache. I asked you to decrease it. Reduce the no. of addresses it has for autocompletion.

Widgets are nothing but webpages. They dont take any extra resource if you are not using them.

Do you have large number of userjs? They can create some problem.

PseudoKnight, widgets are mainly intended for mobile phones. Significant potion of Opera's revenue comes from there. And in mobile phones widgets are very usefull. Apple's iPhone will have its own widget system when it is released.
{name here}
Indyan wrote:
Erm.. I didnt ask you to increase the cache. I asked you to decrease it. Reduce the no. of addresses it has for autocompletion.

I'm just telling you my experience with Opera.
PseudoKnight
Quote:
PseudoKnight, widgets are mainly intended for mobile phones. Significant potion of Opera's revenue comes from there. And in mobile phones widgets are very usefull. Apple's iPhone will have its own widget system when it is released.
Point taken. I was of course talking about desktops contextually, but being someone who doesn't buy gadgets that would support something like that, it's nice to know it's useful for someone. I'm really happy with Opera. I just wish it had extensions, as seen in FireFox. Widgets almost seem like Opera's answer to extensions but it pales in comparison.

Quote:
He wasn't talking to you. He was talking to loosu.
Indyan
PseudoKnight wrote:
Quote:
Point taken. I was of course talking about desktops contextually, but being someone who doesn't buy gadgets that would support something like that, it's nice to know it's useful for someone. I'm really happy with Opera. I just wish it had extensions, as seen in FireFox. Widgets almost seem like Opera's answer to extensions but it pales in comparison.

Yeah. I also want opera to have a SDK. But till then :
http://my.opera.com/Rijk/blog/show.dml/330699
http://www.pallab.net/2006/04/12/extending-opera-the-ultimate-guide-to-customizing-opera/

PseudoKnight wrote:
Quote:
He wasn't talking to you. He was talking to loosu.

Yep.
PseudoKnight
I've done some customizing before, but that's an excellent source. Thank you!
loosu
According to what i have visited on the NET , i am trying to get into a conclusion . i may be wrong too .

so correct me , if i am wrong .

Plugins are the feature that gets ur system , out of range .

A software , has its limit and should not hold too much functionality .

My research , has given me , much evidence .

Some softwares , which have stuck this limit and are coming back too ,

Firefox , which holded too much functionality and too much leaks , and coming back as k-melon .

Bitorrents that holded much hop and coming back as utorrent which doesnt support plugins . only its ethical functionality .

Opera , has seen this even before and has moved away from giving such functionality but maintaining a very stable and nice core .

This is the reason i use opera . And too much functionality into opera will again drag it down.

So , i keep it small and simple . only browse , with this rock solid junky .
But now , i think it is freezing better . `
tony
hmm...i have never had this problem. interesting...
driftingfe3s
I don't usually get freezing problems on Opera but you can try out a newer build here: http://my.opera.com/desktopteam/blog/

Hopefully this will slove your freezing problem.
altknia
My opera don't freaze..
loosu
i do use the latest version .
But the problem , is that , opera , uses abt 100% cpu , from time to time and thus my system freezes . any similar things happen to you too ???
driftingfe3s
loosu wrote:
i do use the latest version .
But the problem , is that , opera , uses abt 100% cpu , from time to time and thus my system freezes . any similar things happen to you too ???

That has happened to me, but it happens very rarely. It usually happnes when I have a bunch of tabs open, or sometimes its a particular website that does it.
iNs@nE
Well, Opera does not freeze for me...Well it hasnt YET...

But there are several other problems that I have noticed on Opera..

First thing is that it does not have critical refresh for vBulletin forums...i hate it when I post and I dont see my post until I totally close the browser down and restart it..

I crashes when I am too fast opening windows and etc.. ( it is not my PC problem .. dont worry)...

But I guess the con's of Opera are too minor compared to the good points..

i love the voice commands of opera..makes work much easier for those who got used to the voice commands on vista..good stuff..
PseudoKnight
The only consistent problems I've had with Opera are web developer support. Opera is inherently pretty stable, though. It pains me that some people code for IE and FireFox only. I love Opera.

Quote:
First thing is that it does not have critical refresh for vBulletin forums...i hate it when I post and I dont see my post until I totally close the browser down and restart it..
F5/Ctrl-R
soulman
I never had this problem, but it often happens on my firefox...

is it because of the installation?
unraveling
When I had Opera it did. I decided the switch over to Mozilla Firefox. I think it's the best and most secure browser I've used. I love the plugins, and I love the themes. I have an iMac type them. So you should definately switch to Mozilla Firefox. You wont have any regrets what so ever, except for the fact that you were using opera RazzRazzRazz

-Joe Very Happy Very Happy
drag0n
There are sites that can freeze my Opera (and regulary do) but I didn't have random freezings of Opera.
minotavrs
No freezing at all with my Opera 9.2
drag0n
try this site, it always freezes my opera

cnn.blog.hr