FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Two questions.

saratdear
I was having two doubts and I would appreciate if someone would clear them.

Q.1
Arrow I had heard someone say somewhere that the reason for server 2 being down every hour is because it has apache which needs regular hourly restarts. Server 1 doesn't need this as it has had its full capacity of users. So does this mean that when the Server 3 is here, the hourly restarts of Server 2 can be finally stopped?

Q.2
Arrow From what I know, Server 1 has its full capacity of user accounts. But, if some users cancel their accounts on Server 1, will it have space for some new users?

I know these are noobie questions...

Thanks in advance.
wumingsden
saratdear wrote:
I was having two doubts and I would appreciate if someone would clear them.

Q.1
Arrow I had heard someone say somewhere that the reason for server 2 being down every hour is because it has apache which needs regular hourly restarts. Server 1 doesn't need this as it has had its full capacity of users. So does this mean that when the Server 3 is here, the hourly restarts of Server 2 can be finally stopped?

I don't know much about server2, even though I'm hosted on it, but I do remember bondings stating that it was because apache needed to be restarted. Is the server still going down every hour? ..... because I haven't noticed apart from the few seconds (about 10) of downtime I had last night with my site whilst working on it. When server3 does come into place, I doubt it will make a difference to the performance of server2. This is because the new server will come into effect when server2 is full, therfore the server will act the same (or maybe even worse, bondings?).

saratdear wrote:
Q.2
Arrow From what I know, Server 1 has its full capacity of user accounts. But, if some users cancel their accounts on Server 1, will it have space for some new users?

When users do cancel their accounts it does free up space on the server, if they were using any space. I spoke about this to Bondings a long time ago, and at that time server1 wass more full than server2. Whether this is the case now though, I do not know. Also, it's not planned to re-open server1 to new users, as a new server3 has been discussed.
Scorpio
What if a lot of people quit server 1 over a period of time?
Even if teh server becomes half empty, you'd rather buy a new server than touching server 1?
wumingsden
scorpio wrote:
What if a lot of people quit server 1 over a period of time?
Even if teh server becomes half empty, you'd rather buy a new server than touching server 1?

I don't know, you'd have to ask bondings that. Obviously it has become a little empty (or at least not as full as what it was before server2 was purchased), but not so much that it would be useful for new accounts to be created on it, that i know.
Scorpio
Well, mathiaus, it would be easier for you to confirm that than me.
Bondings probably reads more/all posts or threads in Area 51 than here I guess.
wumingsden
scorpio wrote:
Bondings probably reads more/all posts or threads in Area 51 than here I guess.

Hmmm, I've been called many things in my life, but I have to admit that mathiaus is not one of them Very Happy

I have not spoken to steve at all since being back, and have actually had only one chance to do so (which was at midnight last night via MSN). If I send him a PM, you can probably guarentee that he won't read it for a few weeks, so I will speak to him next time he signs into MSN, or he may read this thread beforehand.
mathiaus
wumingsden wrote:
scorpio wrote:
Hmmm, I've been called many things in my life, but I have to admit that mathiaus is not one of them Very Happy

Actually spelt it right as well with a small 'm' Applause
Funniest thing I've read in a while.

All I have to say on the matter is that Frihost (site and forum) are located on server 1 so it has to be treated with more care. If it goes down, no-one has anywhere to go to ask about it etc.
wumingsden
mathiaus wrote:
wumingsden wrote:
scorpio wrote:

Actually spelt it right as well with a small 'm' Applause
Funniest thing I've read in a while.

All I have to say on the matter is that Frihost (site and forum) are located on server 1 so it has to be treated with more care. If it goes down, no-one has anywhere to go to ask about it etc.

Exptremely good point which I didn't even think about.

@Matt - I copied/pasted "mathiaus" so I didn't get it wrong.
Scorpio
Oops Embarassed

This may sound crazy, but I usually confuse one of you for the other.
May be it is because both of you have your names in lowercase letters?