FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!


Rule Ammendment to Include Spoilers





willy101
Hey, I joined this forum a few days ago, and I have a proposition for a new rule. One of the annoyances of anime/manga/video games sections of forums is that people often posts spoilers. How do you feel about a rule of giving spoiler warnings before the actual spoiler?
I know the spoiler tag have been proposed in the past, but how about including a sentence in the rules stating that spoiler warnings should be place.
If this is already in place or has been proposed in the past, please excuse my ignorance.

~willy101
tidruG
We had previously discussed ways of trying to implement spoiler tags in certain forums, however, the coding is not that easy.
However, I think we should make a rule in the forums that any post or topic that may have a spoiler ought to put in big, bold text stating so.

Could you give me some examples of spoiler threads/posts, and also let me know which forums you think need a rule such as this?
willy101
Well the one's that come to mind immediately are the video game and manga/anime forums.

Examples in Anime:
1
ocalhoun
Isn't there already such a thing in the literature section? Expanding it to include other sections wouldn't be hard at all.
garionw
tidruG wrote:
We had previously discussed ways of trying to implement spoiler tags in certain forums, however, the coding is not that easy.
However, I think we should make a rule in the forums that any post or topic that may have a spoiler ought to put in big, bold text stating so.

Could you give me some examples of spoiler threads/posts, and also let me know which forums you think need a rule such as this?


Wouldn't be that hard would it? You would need to create an extra bbcode tag (spoiler) and set it to display as hidden, then use javascript to show it
ninjakannon
I think this could be a pretty good idea; it's definitely worth thinking about in more depth. One thing though, although people could include spoilers in a spoiler tag, they would still have to watch out for small references within their posts, maybe just half a sentence with gives something away.

How would the spoiler tags work, anyway? A bit like quote tags?
willy101
Spoiler tags are not what I was suggesting, although I would like to see them implemented in the future.
Several people have proposed spoiler tags already but have failed.

All I wanted was to have SPOILER in the Subject and message body of any post containing any such items.
Hogwarts
http://www.phpbb.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=366815
There's already a mod for it... Although, Bondings is not going to use it, for sure. I've suggested this before, anyway.

He could just have a thing in the url... I.e. spoilers=true

if $spoilers == "NULL"
It will replace [spoiler] with
Code:
<a name="#postnumber" href="#postnumber?spoilers=true">Spoiler</a><div style="show:none">
and [/spoiler] with </div>, but only if there is both a [spoiler] and [/spoiler] tag in the post.

If $spoilers value is true, then it will just do something like a quote, except, with Spoiler: up the top instead of "* wrote".

That'd work... wouldn't it?[/code]
mathiaus
I know little about anime, but isn't it just a whole series? Therefore nearly everything may well be a spoiler?
For example, if I start reading Harry Potter (book 1), everything on the internet will be up to date as of book 6, so everything is a spoiler.
Question
Hogwarts
mathiaus wrote:
I know little about anime, but isn't it just a whole series? Therefore nearly everything may well be a spoiler?
For example, if I start reading Harry Potter (book 1), everything on the internet will be up to date as of book 6, so everything is a spoiler.
Question


What about movies?
What about people who's countries air the television programs/anime at a later date then that of the US?

What about people who just don't want a spoiler sprung upon them?

There are numerous reasons that I think we should implement this. Perhaps polls in the Literature, Movies and Television and Anime forums?
Dark_Tiger
I feel that this is a bad idea, I feel this strongly.

Mathius makes a point about my main objection; any post about any movie/TV show/series/book/comic/other will naturally have some spilers. If you don't want spoilers, don't read the thread.

Second, a spoilers rule would encourage whining. I really hate fourms where every time you say anything about a show, you get people shouting "OMG spoilers! Hang him up by his toenails!"
Hogwarts
Dark_Tiger wrote:
I feel that this is a bad idea, I feel this strongly.

Mathius makes a point about my main objection; any post about any movie/TV show/series/book/comic/other will naturally have some spilers. If you don't want spoilers, don't read the thread.

Second, a spoilers rule would encourage whining. I really hate fourms where every time you say anything about a show, you get people shouting "OMG spoilers! Hang him up by his toenails!"

Yes, lets all discriminate against countries like Australia who do not air the tv show at the same time as the almighty USA. We may as well just make the Movies and TV and Anime forums for the USA only.

It isn't a hard thing to implement, in my opinion, and the forums are not just for the countries that air the tv show first.

Also, the mod's may as well allow 2 threads for movies and literature, for those who have watched/read it and those who haven't, because I'm sure some people won't want to go into a thread about a book, i.e. a Mystery one to find out that it was actually some twisted character who commited the crime (or whatever). Maybe they just want to know what others think of the book(/movie/anime/tv series), not what it's about.
ninjakannon
Dark_Tiger wrote:
Mathius makes a point about my main objection; any post about any movie/TV show/series/book/comic/other will naturally have some spilers. If you don't want spoilers, don't read the thread.

There will be some threads about TV shows, for example, which do not in fact give anything away - however this will probably be quite uncommon.

Dark_Tiger wrote:
Second, a spoilers rule would encourage whining. I really hate fourms where every time you say anything about a show, you get people shouting "OMG spoilers! Hang him up by his toenails!"

People whine now when they read a spoiler, people would whine if there was a spoiler, and people would whine if someone forgot to mention that they gave a spoiler. People will whine no matter what, but mostly people don't seem to whine on FriHost - even if they do think it.
Related topics
Harry Potter 6 - The Half-Blood Prince *(ENDING REVEALED)*
Need For Speed Most Wanted
Simple PHP Navigation
The downfall of american society
Do we support php include and/or SSI?
gazza withdraw
Making Your Website Look Professional
The Rule of Four by Ian Caldwell, Dustin Thomason
Microsoft plans to build more Unix features into future vers
Frankfurt Motor Show, 2005
New Rule is Cool
Lost - spoilers
New 8 seson of the Charmed
Is 13 too young to sail round the world solo?
Reply to topic    Frihost Forum Index -> General -> Suggestions

FRIHOST HOME | FAQ | TOS | ABOUT US | CONTACT US | SITE MAP
© 2005-2011 Frihost, forums powered by phpBB.