FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Decompilers

magesh_lalla
you guys use decompilers? if so which? how efficient are they
MrBlueSky
magesh_lalla wrote:

Pretty efficient, when adequately used. Also depends on the language and what your goal is.
If it interests you, check out this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Decompiler#Decompilers
turbowolf
The decompiler works fine for script like language such as Java and VB. But it's not well for low level language such as C and C++.
Most of time, you have to read assembly language from the decompile result.
magesh_lalla wrote:
MrBlueSky
turbowolf wrote:
The decompiler works fine for script like language such as Java and VB. But it's not well for low level language such as C and C++.
magesh_lalla wrote:

Java and VB are not scripting languages! What makes them easier to decomile is that they compile to an intermediate bytecode (for a virtual machine). For example Perl and PHP are scripting languages: distributed as source code, and interpreted when executed.
WickedGravity
To answer your question in a clean and simple fashion, no, I do not use a decompiler because I feel they are far to inefficient for my needs as a programmer.
turbowolf
I would like to call JAVA and VB script language.

Yes, JAVA codes need to be compiled to bytecodes before you run it. But indeed such bytecodes just simple convertion of the original source codes. So it is easy for someone to decompile it. Even we can get some readable codes when decompiling some early JAVA source codes!

For VB. I have to say that its early version is without compiler. Even for VB6.0, the compile process just partly compile the sourcecodes. So the decomile process for it is also very easy.

MrBlueSky wrote:
turbowolf wrote:
magesh_lalla wrote:

Java and VB are not scripting languages! What makes them easier to decomile is that they compile to an intermediate bytecode (for a virtual machine). For example Perl and PHP are scripting languages: distributed as source code, and interpreted when executed.