You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Williams braced for one last shot

Danny Williams is hoping to prove he has a future in boxing when he takes on British champion Scott Gammer in March.
Williams, 33, effectively announced his retirement after his third-round loss to Audley Harrison last December.

"I have set myself this challenge to prove to both myself and to the public that I am not finished just yet," said Londoner Williams.

"I've seen plenty of people retire too early. I want to leave in peace when I know I am properly finished."

Williams has had a rollercoaster career, emerging from some uninspiring domestic encounters to destroy Mike Tyson in Louisville in 2004.

The former British and Commonwealth champion was then battered by Vitali Klitschko in a world title fight but rebounded to hand Harrison his first professional defeat in 2005.

He then beat another domestic rival in Matt Skelton in 2006 before coming in hugely overweight for the rematch and dropping a wide points decision.

The Brixton fighter is angling for a third fight with former Olympic champion Harrison, and has linked up with Lennox Lewis' former conditioner Joe Dunbar to help him get into shape to face Gammer.

"I only had eight days to prepare for the Audley fight - and I believe that affected my performance," said Williams.

"We are doing things properly and we have worked hard to get my weight down already.

"I have never seen Gammer box but I have heard his improvement has been colossal since he turned professional.

"I know he will be up for this fight in front of his home crowd - but I am already ready, because I know it is my last chance."

Gammer, 30, won the vacant British crown from Mark Krence last June and has made one defence, out-pointing Michael Steeds four months later.