FRIHOST • FORUMS • SEARCH • FAQ • TOS • BLOGS • COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

PC blue screen error

joholland84
Hey everyone

At the moment I have a PC which is prob about 5 years old now but has just started to display blue screen error messages and other errors appear when I first start the PC up!!! The monitor doesn't work anymore and also the CD drive doesn't write anymore... is it going to be more cost effective to buy all the bits and get a friend to replace the things that dont work or just buy a new PC???

Thanks

Jo
golles
the blue screens are probobly software problems, when your windows is f*cked up or something. you can try to reinstall the operating system,

offcourse is buying a new cd drive an monitor much cheaper then buying a new computer, but if you want to buy a new one you should also buy a new monitor (because it is broken).
if your pc is not realy up to date (slow etc) then it is a good idea to look in local stores and on internet for a new computer.
good luck!
Relentless
Normally when your cd drive doesn’t write it is a software glitch and the only way to fix that is to reinstall the OS.

Normally when you Receive Blue screens with white writing, you have either installed something or added hardware or even your memory is low/corrupt...

So why don't you just try and reinstall windows. And if the CD-r has died you can pick one up for about £20 now and if your comp is 5years old in most prob takes SDRAM so pop down 2 your local second hand shop and get SDRAM, which is about £5!!!! not much off a bank breaker... unless you want an all singing dancing second hand comp which you can buy for £50(well I can). and with your monitor that don't work Confused how are you able to use your comp???? But if there is some weird way you are able to see what you are doing then I suggest a cheap 17" CRT round about £35

Total Price list: £110
Cost to buy a new comp: £500
Price of throwing it away: PRICELESS
DecayClan
How about giving us some more details about your computer>?>?
Generally though, you should buy a new computer. The only thing that you should actually keep, is the monitor, keyboard mouse(any HDD, tec). It doesn't worth it to just change some parts.
You will be able to fix this computerPretty easily, if you just reinstall windows. This might solve the problem.
joholland84
Hey everyone

Thanks for the suggestions, I thought perhaps I might have had to buy a new Hard Drive or something to fix the blue screen error. It is generally a very slow PC now but does the trick, or did heh heh! I'm currently using my dads PC but he uses that for work so cant use it very often. I dont know what the spec for the PC is as it was second hand from a friend in the first place hehe.

I will start looking around for bits and bobs then to replace things that don't work and I will also try to find out what the PC spec is to see if I should buy a new PC instead.

The blue screen error, could that be caused by installing Sims 2 Pets as this game was sent to me by an online company who got it from Japan. I needed one that played in CD drives you see which was quite hard to find!!! Or is it likely to be something more that would cause the PC to crash?

Thanks again everyone

Jo
DecayClan
It is probable that any newer software that you installed could have caused it.
Although i doubt that your computer can run Sims 2.... Can you really play Sims 2? You can find all your computer specs, with a program like Belarc Advisor, or by simply go start/run/dxdiag, and also right click on your computer.
Belarc Advisor will give you every little detail you need though(and it is free)
http://www.softpedia.com/get/System/System-Info/Belarc-Advisor.shtml
I don't believe that "upgrades" are worth it... You should either buy a new one, or keep what you currently have. Don't spend money on things that you will soon stop using.