FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Search function server load relief.

ocalhoun
I notice that most forums larger than Frihost have restricted, crippled, or non-existent search functions. This, I understand, is because of the relatively large server load caused by searching the forums. If I'm not mistaken, I've even heard talk (a while ago) about taking similar measures here.

In the case that modifying the search function is still under consideration, I propose a nice solution to the problem: Use the Google search box of Google Adsense.
It would have several advantages over anything that could be done with phpbb's system:
-Virtually no server load for searching
-Little loss of effectiveness in searches
-Would make some money for Frihost
-An interface nearly everyone is used to

Of course, once the new search system was implemented, the old one could be disabled (probably just by taking away the link from the template file, that way, one could still use it if one knew the URL)

Just thought I'd mention that, in case nobody had thought of it.
qscomputing
Except for the fact that Google's searches will be out-of-date, and you can't search by ascending/descending date, display results as posts or threads etc etc...
ocalhoun
True, but I think it would be better than the alternatives if server load becomes an issue.
Also, the original search feature could be kept, to be used only when you have to use phpbb's advanced search options.
Bondings
I'll definately put the google Adsense search (or other Google search things) somewhere. I don't know if removing the normal search feature is a good idea. In any way, I will definately leave it like it is currently for the staff.
simplyw00x
I don't think you should be discouraging members from searching; this will really increase the number of duplicate posts. Maybe restrict searches for guest users, and please, PLEASE have a quick 'search for my posts' link. Please.
mOrpheuS
simplyw00x wrote:
please, PLEASE have a quick 'search for my posts' link. Please.

You mean EgoSearch ?

It's there on the index page - right hand side, on the top.
simplyw00x
Quote:
You mean EgoSearch ?

Yup, that's exactly what I mean. Why can't we have one of those? Embarassed
ocalhoun
http://www.frihost.com/forums/search.php?search_id=egosearch

Bookmark it.