FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Problems Shutting Down!!

Relentless
On my laptop i cant shut it down. its windows home SP2. the laptop perfoms fantasicly but when i shutdown it logs of then goes to the shut down screen and sits there untill the battery runs out..... i have to either hold down the power button at this stage ot take out the battery... any ideas?

but i have already checked the system logs and there is nothing there.
Animal
This is quite common. A full Windows reinstall should fix it (that's what I do when my laptop stops automatically shutting down), but once it's finished the shut down process, you won't damage it by pressing down the power button to switch it off.
Relentless
lol so thats the only solution? i was kinda hoping not lol Nevermind i guess i better start backing my files up then Sad

cheers anyway.....
DecayClan
Reinstalling windows will solve the problem, but if you really don't want to do that, you could try a series of actions, that have a very slim chanche to actually fix it, but nevertheless, a chanse,

1. Delete any unwanted programs
2. DOwnload and run regseeker to clean your registrry
3. Defrag your HDD

Possibility of these to actually work: minimal, but give it a try(especially the second one).
Relentless
ok thanks guys....

i will give that a try now and post back to once done to tell you the news...
rekluzz
Check that you have all the latest updates from Microsoft first. You can also search the MS website for your specific problem.
Here's a good page to start at:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/320008
DecayClan
rekluzz wrote:
Check that you have all the latest updates from Microsoft first. You can also search the MS website for your specific problem.
Here's a good page to start at:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/320008

Whats with the updates? i don't think that they have anything to do with the problem~~~

If you can remember when the problem firstly appeared, then maybe you could run system restore? think about it if everything else fails.
rekluzz
DecayClan wrote:

Whats with the updates? i don't think that they have anything to do with the problem~~~

If you can remember when the problem firstly appeared, then maybe you could run system restore? think about it if everything else fails.

You're right of course, but I had a similar problem in the past and found that Microsoft had a fix for the shutdown problem via a patch/update. It's true that something was installed/tweaked/changed that has now affected the shutdown process. Finding out when the problem first appeared and running system restore would work as well. Probably easier too.
Hope you find a fix regardless, Relentless! Let us know.
Relentless
lol guysi found a way of shuttin my laptop dwn sucsesfully...

its wierd but works.. i have a bluetooth dongle and when i plug it in and then unplug it, then shut down my laptop it sucsesfully completes the shut down Confused

but if i do it without that it still dnt shut dwn.....

can any one think of any ideas?? i could try uninstalling my bluetooths softwere??
DecayClan
Then it probably has something to do with your bluetooth... Try closing it, deleting the drivers, and see if your computer shuts down correctly...

Check it, and tells us the results