FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

The World Without Computers!

sathiyasri
Hi,

How would the world be if computers didnt exist?

For most of you reading this, computers have some how become a dependable part of your lives, to have a day go by without using a computer would seem un-natural( or atleast in my opinion).

It hurts my head Just imagine the current world with computers,
just think.....

1)no online communites,( the current 300 people i know..will be down to 20)

2)no emails,( waiting a whole week to get a message & spending money on postage stamps )

3)having to look through millions of books just to get the inoformation you need.

4) Your current music collection...will take up a room in your house

5) Bill Gates might be somebody's Pool boy ( worse i might sombody pool boy )

6) My current math skills would suck a whole lot more

7) The FBI would not have me in their database (just because i dont agree with Bush)
willy101
hmm I've often considered such a world as well.
Might as well continue the list.
Cool I would not be in a forum, applying for a website.
Handermier
The world would be very different. Dare I say boring? Without computers there would be less technological leaps. Who knows how far we could have come? Maybe back a few years or perhaps decades? And look at how many things are connected through computers that makes our lives easier.

And a lot of social lives are made on the internet. Maybe your friends move away. Maybe you find a nice community. Whaever the case everyone has a few friends on the internet. The world be a lot more boring and a lot less entertaining.

Please don't take the computers away. Crying or Very sad

-Handermier
soulman
oh, It's a disaster for me...

I cannot imagine the world with out computers... there's no satellites, only basic telecommunication... and most important: we have to storage the information only by papers and books...
Hogwarts
sathiyasri wrote:

1)no online communites,( the current 300 people i know..will be down to 20)

You need to spend more time away from your computer Wink

sathiyasri wrote:

2)no emails,( waiting a whole week to get a message & spending money on postage stamps )

That's not that bad. Meeting people in real life is better, though.

sathiyasri wrote:

3)having to look through millions of books just to get the inoformation you need.

It's possible. You don't need to look through millions of books. Even before computers, libraries still had a cataloging system.

sathiyasri wrote:

People wouldn't have downloaded thousands of illegal mp3s. You wouldn't have such a big music collection.

sathiyasri wrote:

How old is he again? That's just wrong.

Regardless of computers, Bill Gates is an intelligent person and could do fine in this world without them.

sathiyasri wrote:

In my opinion, using a calculator doesn't require many "skills".

sathiyasri wrote:
7) The FBI would not have me in their database (just because i dont agree with Bush)

Well, that depends. Have you ever done anything illegal? If so, you'd be on their file.

Handermier wrote:
And a lot of social lives are made on the internet. Maybe your friends move away. Maybe you find a nice community. Whaever the case everyone has a few friends on the internet. The world be a lot more boring and a lot less entertaining.

Having friends over the internet isn't a social life... It's not much of a life at all, in my opinion.[/quote]

Handermier wrote:
Please don't take the computers away. Crying or Very sad
This is hyopthetical. It doesn't have anything to do with taking computers away, as that is future tense, and the point of this thread is past tense.
qscomputing
Having friends on the Internet is not really a bad thing, as long as they are not your only friends.
neema
i cant imagine that Shocked
DynamicNames
Let's put it this way. When something comes into your life, like a computer, you may become dependant on it. So you obviously can't see life without that thing, in this case, a computer over a perioud of time. Well, if computers never existed, then people would have never seen its positives, thus being able to imagine life without it;You wouldn't miss it. Like you wouldn't miss life without Cable if you never had it.
alkady
sathiyasri wrote:

3)having to look through millions of books just to get the information you need.

I'd rather not think of that one, the dewy decimal system was really complicated when I was a little todd. In Elementary the library had the system, poor guy who maintained it, no one really used it.

sathiyasri wrote:

Nah. I don't think I'd be that rich to do that.

sathiyasri wrote:

funny, but not true. the kid went to the finest private school and attended harvard. So you know his parents did a good job raising him and ensuring he'd succeed.
Hunterseaker
A world without computers would be a world with less prosperity, with comforts. Everything would be more slower than life is now....
A world without computers means more fatel illnesses, higher crime rates(no computer database, less health).
We just can't imagine a world without computers anymore. And when we loose power at a certain moment, for a couple of weeks(years) we are in huge troubles.....
Babsta
World without Computers won't be that bad. You'll get more time to spend with your family. Hey don't they always complain when you are glued to the pc and don't hear them calling you? Well that happens with me and damn it's so annoying when I'm stuck at something and they are calling me for dinner.
Actually I agree with Hogwarts. We can still do without computers. It's just that we've gotten accustomed to using them and that's why we are dependant on them.
ThornsOfSorrow
Here are some positive aspects about the absense of computers:

A world without computers would cause less children to have weight problems, as they would play outside and exercise rather than sitting in front of a screen a day. Also, it would make it more difficult for pedophiles to plan meetings with minors.
highlordadmin
World whitout computers = Something i dont even want to think of.

The world needs computers now... Police, banks, etc.

But i'm just happy that we got computers now. Whitout them, we would not invented planes (Not good ones atleast, if you think of the airports, what were they gonna do? Send light-signals?) and i could not sit here, infront of my computer, having a good time whit friends (over msn xD) thinking of how i want my website to be, and such. If i dident have a computer, then i would be in my bed, sleeping.

So computers ftw!
djcaution
yea it hurts my head to think about the world without computers. Not even considering personal computers but think of everything that's electronically controlled relying on computers! Everything would be so primitive! *shudders
qscomputing
Certainly it's possible to say that there are negative aspects to computers - like everything - although the positives far outweigh the negatives...
windrei
To me, it's mainly the communication matter. As your first point mentioned, the current people i know will be much lowered by half.....oh..

some are foriegn and net friends, so without computers. i will never know them (imagine how can you meet a friend that you dont ever meet and s/he is far away...) For those friends in real life, i usually chat with them at night by msn.. or share anything through emails... my communication with friends will be all closed... although mobile phone is popular among us now, we seldom talk on phone, and i dont like talking on phone too. Sometimes, it's difficult to express by mouth but easier by words...

and the most important, my girl friend likes internet so much. if there is no computer, probably i cannot know more about her and she will not be my love...
godam64
computer is something very important to this world today. as you have know that almost all business from the small one to the giant one all of them are using computer. calculator is also can be called computer and almost everybody in this world know them and have use them.

thanks to bill gates have innovation to bring us to a better wolrd and without him i think we still using dos on daily activity and it's so boring.

computer will developed and grow from time to time from the processors, harddrives, storages, memories, mouse, keyboard and many other things until the end of the world.

computers is the most valuable invention from the last century Wink

salute and many thanks to the computer inventors and developers Very Happy
TruPain
sathiyasri wrote:

What math skills? I highly doubt we would be so reliant pon math as a problem solver if not for the abacus (yes, the abacus is considered the first computer).

Without comptuers, there would be much more concern other than your online communities and games and such.

Think what computers have done for medical advancements. Working millions upon millions of algorithms that would easily take man hundreds if not thousands of years to sort through.

But in all honesty, all a computer really is, is a superpowered brain. It can not do the things on its own, we have to tell it what to do, how to do it, and when to do it, otherwise, all it is, is a big paperweight.
Babsta
If computers didn't exist it wouldn't have made much of a difference in my life cause this bloody desktop that I use doesn't even lemme get across to my site!! it's got some weird firewall issues or something I haven't figured out yet. Sometimes computers can be very annoying.
highlordadmin
Everything would be different whitout computers. Someone writed that they could still use phones, but dont you think that the phone comapny uses computers?

The one saying that whitout computers it wouldent change much of his life, WTF are you talking about?! Dont you watch TV sometimes? The one who owns the TV channels needs the computers to run it! The production of cars is driven by machines, that is driven by computers!

Dont be so freaking blind that you think the world whitout computers would only be the change that it dident take space on your desk!
web-guy
I agree that our life would have been much simpler without computers but it wouldn't have been so comfortable!
Numerous things would not exist without computers. So, I wish we never get into a senario where we cannot use computers! Shocked
truespeed
I remember a world without computers... it wasn't that different really.. just smaller.
tribe
The world without computers would be a living hell. You could take away and fire about a billion people of their jobs.. You can take away any recreational time people find on a computer, etc.

Thanks IBM
wheres
It's impossible for modern day to be without computers. I wouldn't take a computer to be a PC, but more a device to automatically computer equations based on given variables. The unemployment rates would be through the roof. India wouldn't be as powerful as it is today. the US probably wouldnt be that big of a target by terrorism.

anyway: i think a world without computers would be cool. the happiest people i know are luddites. if you dont know the possibilities of something you dont miss anything. but once you obtain the knowledge of possibilites and make them real, its impossible to imagine life without them.

for example: going to the moon. 100 years go there was no desire to go to the moon. Space was just a big useless vacuum. But now that we have gone to space we can imagine possibilities that we can us space for.
(ex: is there life on other planets, live on mars)

I wouldn't mind going back to the 50s where a computer was basically less functional than a modern calculator you can buy for 25 cents and only the elite knew how to use them
{name here}
Hogwarts wrote:

sathiyasri wrote:

That's not that bad. Meeting people in real life is better, though.

I beg to differ. When you send something through email or a forum you have the ability to think critically before you say something rather than being forced to think on the spot. Also usually it allows the conversation be be more linear than jumping randomly. That, IIRC, is why Linus Torvalds dislikes meeting with developers in person rather than through email.
Seiji
It would suck.......there would be no mp3 players, I wouldn't be able to homebrew on my PSP anymore, couldn't download movies. A few years back I didn't have a computer. But I was outside most of that time so it didn't matter.
saratdear
DynamicNames wrote:
Let's put it this way. When something comes into your life, like a computer, you may become dependant on it. So you obviously can't see life without that thing, in this case, a computer over a perioud of time. Well, if computers never existed, then people would have never seen its positives, thus being able to imagine life without it;You wouldn't miss it. Like you wouldn't miss life without Cable if you never had it.

I agree with you. But put it this way, we are humans, and sooner or later something like a computer will be discovered.

Back on topic, I am sure we can't imagine a life without the computer. Without a PC, i wouldn't be posting this. The creator of this thread won't be posting this. We wouldn't even have this conversation!

We can't imagine life without computers. But there are a lot of plus points too. Lots of things which I can't say without hurting people's feelings, mine included. But without computers, there will not be good technological advancement.
Hogwarts
saratdear wrote:
We can't imagine life without computers. But there are a lot of plus points too. Lots of things which I can't say without hurting people's feelings, mine included. But without computers, there will not be good technological advancement.

Alot of people, in my mind, are extremely shallow minded. Have you ever heard of Amish people?

Most of them go without electricity, and you can't go without your computer? For shame.

{Name Here} wrote:
I beg to differ. When you send something through email or a forum you have the ability to think critically before you say something rather than being forced to think on the spot. Also usually it allows the conversation be be more linear than jumping randomly. That, IIRC, is why Linus Torvalds dislikes meeting with developers in person rather than through email.

Is it now? Why, I'm sure he knows how to write a letter...

Seiji wrote:
It would suck.......there would be no mp3 players, I wouldn't be able to homebrew on my PSP anymore, couldn't download movies. A few years back I didn't have a computer. But I was outside most of that time so it didn't matter.

Playing soccer on a soccer field is better then playing it on a small screen. There's better graphics, too.

highlordadmin wrote:
Everything would be different whitout computers. Someone writed that they could still use phones, but dont you think that the phone comapny uses computers?

No. Back in days gone by, operators did it manually.

highlordadmin wrote:
The one saying that whitout computers it wouldent change much of his life, WTF are you talking about?! Dont you watch TV sometimes? The one who owns the TV channels needs the computers to run it! The production of cars is driven by machines, that is driven by computers!

Just because you're a couch potato doesn't mean that everybody else is. I barely ever watch tv, myself.

highlordadmin wrote:
Dont be so freaking blind that you think the world whitout computers would only be the change that it dident take space on your desk!

Don't be so "freaking" arrogant to think that seeing as you're dependant on computers, everybody else is.
Dean_The_Great
I'm unaware if the hypothetical situation is that computers never existed or if computers suddenly ceased to exist.

For the sake of this post, I will speak on the former.

1.) International commerce would slow considerably.

2.) Information would still be stored in huge rooms filled with filing cabinets. Making data harder to access without wide use of microfilming.

3.) Paper demand would be higher than ever and that means more trees.

4.) The movies would be a George Lucas fest (speaking, of course, on the innovative 1977 directing style, not the "let's make a non-sense character just so we can CG some really flexible alien" 1999 directing style, which would, without computers, cease to exist.)

5.) Communications with family and friends over great distances would be more expensive and infinitely more complicated. The Post Office would be incredibly slow, the telegraph would be back, and phone service would require people to connect you through.

Those are just five of the really crappy ones (with the exception of the Star Wars one, which would be an interesting thing to see). Though I suppose Hogwarts may try to rip these apart as well.
Hogwarts
Dean_The_Great wrote:
I'm unaware if the hypothetical situation is that computers never existed or if computers suddenly ceased to exist.

For the sake of this post, I will speak on the former.

1.) International commerce would slow considerably.

2.) Information would still be stored in huge rooms filled with filing cabinets. Making data harder to access without wide use of microfilming.

3.) Paper demand would be higher than ever and that means more trees.

4.) The movies would be a George Lucas fest (speaking, of course, on the innovative 1977 directing style, not the "let's make a non-sense character just so we can CG some really flexible alien" 1999 directing style, which would, without computers, cease to exist.)

5.) Communications with family and friends over great distances would be more expensive and infinitely more complicated. The Post Office would be incredibly slow, the telegraph would be back, and phone service would require people to connect you through.

Those are just five of the really crappy ones (with the exception of the Star Wars one, which would be an interesting thing to see). Though I suppose Hogwarts may try to rip these apart as well.

Nope, I see it as the same as you, and actually agree with you on all of them. You don't have the idea of "If there was never computers the world would explode", or whatever some people have concocted.

Why would you think I would rip them apart? I have my reasons for saying what I did.. Just like you. If people did not ever know a PSP existed, how would they miss them?
reddishblue
I could live, but it wouldn't be as good, I am not very athletic and never have been and no computers would affect EVERYTHING such as Airplanes, it would be so much harder to fly and much more expensive, the world would be much bigger then we think of it to be.
James Yu
I would think the world would go nuts... and nobody can withdraw from ATM...
JC Vincent Pelletero
There will be no frihost without computers. Though we can still live without computers
BlazeDragon132
A world without computers, huh?

1) Game systems would not exist.
2) Cars would have to be built by hand.
3) Movies would still have the cheesy effects the 70s had.
4) You would have to write every report you do in school.
5) Every time you want info on something, you would have to drive to a bookstore or library.

The 5 worst things about it. Wink
Aredon
I'm almost completely sure that my brain would melt and slowly ooze from my bleeding ears and nose. Cool

On top of that:
1) government would be a lot slower
2) far less communication avaiable
3) WWII possibly still going on
4) Various issues never known let alone solved

The world would be a very depressing place... Crying or Very sad
mialynavahy
hum and no job for programmers lol... disaster for me
tefa_taftaf2010
i think any invention come to our life,, we use it and become dependant

on it ,, like copmuters ,telephones, mobiles, cars ...etc... and we become unable to live without them ...

but if all these aren't exist or invented .. we then don't know what's meant
by computer,, how can i use it ,, it is real or not ?
we don't know what is it because it still invisible to everyone ...
it's then the supernatural .. we don't know it ...

but if we already know the computers and they disappear in sudden way
,, it will be very affected ... most things will stop, uncontrolled work will happen ..
our dependant works or welfare from computers will go away ..
i think it will be terrible losses ... but life will continue... but slowlly ... Exclamation

if our life absence from computers ,, it will be uneffected because we then
don't know the computers.. Surprised

we will keep on going Cool
prole
Bluh. I don't talk about the bigger world out there, cause I can't think of what it'd be like by then. But my life would change dramatically, since many of the daily functions I have come to rely on are with my computer. The primary means of communication in my life would be cut since I talk with family and friends via computer everyday; one would expect to see a return to a dependence on telephones, fax machines, or old-fashioned letter writing, which would kind of be much more costing [in terms of both money and time]. I would also be slowed in virtually every major task I have to complete on a given day. And I must also acknowledge the entertainment value of the computer, which would be lost as well and I'd be extremely bored [while on the other hand I'd probably go out a lot and live a lot more healthier life.] But then who knows, there might be some other stuff stopping me from doing so.
Captain Fertile
tefa_taftaf2010 wrote:
i think any invention come to our life,, we use it and become dependant

on it ,, like copmuters ,telephones, mobiles, cars ...etc... and we become unable to live without them ...

Its strange that you mention these items (telephones, mobiles, cars), do you realise none of them would exist in the present form without computers?
They all contain some form of computer, not to mention computers used in their development.

Other tings thay contain computers are:
Washing Machines
Dish Washers
Microwave Ovens
Games Consoles
TVs
Video recorders
DVD plaers
Vending machines
Cash Registers
Answer Machines
Alarm Clocks
Automated Cash Machines
Life Support Machines
CAT scans
Aircraft
Space Craft

the list goes on.

The way things are today if computers suddenly stopped working at midnight tonight the western world would grind to a halt. We would get around it eventually but it would be an almost Cataclysmic event worthy of any Hollywood blockbuster screenplay*.

*Idea (c)Captain Fertile 2007 All Rights Reserved

(Unless of course this has already been done)
I am waiting for an email from Spielberg or one of his associates any day now. Laughing
goutha
Internet is the window to the world and the source of almost all informations.

A world without computers, will be a poor world!
Rako
human kind are the only type of animals that are completely dependent on tools. so when a helpful tool is invented we get attached to it. the computer has made life a lot more efficient. that being said no computers would have some positives such as:

no computers means no hackers(no steeling passwords, no gaining secret info)

it would be harder steeling from a bank which is protected by armed guards.

you wouldn't easily know stuff like how to make a bom or other info which you shouldn't no

but the benefits far out way the negatives otherwise they would have probably goten rid of them alredy
Captain Fertile
Rako wrote:
...but the benefits far out way the negatives otherwise they would have probably goten rid of them alredy

You aren't a smoker then? Smile

Sorry, as a smoker I couldn't resist pointing out that bad things aren't always obliterated form existance no matter how much they deserve it.

But I agree with your over-all point - computers benefits far outweigh their pitfalls.
CaBz
1. I would have a life.
2. My futurejob will not be oriented to computers.
3. My english will suck much than this.
4. Without computers, I wouldn't been able to meet new girls from Internet, date them and sleep with them. Rolling Eyes
5. Seriously, I don't know. I have been on a computer for so much time that I would be death without that... or maybe a farmer !
frozenhead
Living Without Computers = Living like a Nomand. Sad
JBotAlan
I think that the reality of our curiosity suggests that if computers did not exist, we would invent them. Experiments would happen, everyone would call the experienter (is that even a word...) a freak, and then fifty to a hundred years later, someone would create something with that experimenter's ideas and everyone would believe the crazy ideas of that experimenter. Repeat this process a few times and we're back to our advanced selves.

Really it depends on your definition of a computer. We will always make machines to do our work; it's not a new idea.

JBot
raaeft1
It is very difficult to imagine a world without computers. I speak as a journalist and recall the times in the early eighties when computers were not in much use in India. In those days, one had to depend on old telex machines or manual typewriters. Fax facilities were hardly available in the small towns as well as big cities.
Then came the PC-XT,AT and the Pentium processors. Instead of manual typewriters, we had computers with word processors. A virtual revolution took place in the late nineties in India when the Internet became popular. Now, cyber cafes are to be found in every nook and corner and the old computers have been replaced with the latest gizmos. The work has become very easy and smooth.

So, I cannot imagine a world without PCs and the net.
Arnie
The absence of communities would be good. Many people are totally addicted and estranged from the real world. I suppose for the rest mankind would find different ways to manage. It would certainly not be unbearable. I don't even think it would be worse.
funnyerror
One word.... SUICIDE. Just kidding, i think if computers never existed, we would all be playing and haveing fun in the outdoors in our free time. Not really, we would probably watch TV.

-FE
clarinda0551
" "

you cant see what I just typed without a computer, can you? So dont worry about what i just said...
mstreet
I oftne think we rely on computers way to much especially in the work place.
Do you ever notice that the person down the hall sends you an email to answer a simple question when they could just come to your desk and have that little bit of social interaction.

Friendship wise I get to the point that I'm on email all day at work that the last thing I want to do is email a friend. I pick up the phone and talk. There's a lot of great long distance plans out there and yes SKYPE is amazing and yes I know that you need a computer for that.

I think computers have become overrated in some ways. My opinion.
bartdou
without the computer the world will be better i think, i also hope the morden weapons disappear with it,
vaughands
A world without computers:

Frihost is bye-bye
No more annying teachers saying "Type out all your work"
My FriH request was just rejected then!
Goodbye to all my favourite MMOG's Sad
carlokes
Hi there,

I would be unemployed...not that pleasant Razz

Stay cool
Insanity
The majority of the world now runs on computers and such technology, so if they didn't exist, we'd have a major problem.
The_Gamer294
i already have no computer (grounded and sneaking on to up my points) and it really sucks. tv is all reruns!
arowphin
I depend on my computer for just about everything!

If the world didnt have computers:

1. We would have never made it to the moon, or have any digital pics of space! There wouldn't be any Hubble telescope or anything! To sum it up, space travel would be basicly impossible.

2. (I dont really on this one Very Happy , but some other people do!) There would be no Internet Dating! No more E-harmony commercials, Match adds, or other annoying computer dating advertisements!

3. No Plasma Screens (wich would mean the end of high definition sports programs)!

4. NO VIDEO GAMES!!!

5. IT WOULD BE AS BORING AS A TREE!!!

thus the world would cease to be interesting........
rheanna
lol I'd be in the insane asylum if they ever took my computer away from me.. no Internet Mad
skygaia
It's very hard to imagine the world having no computer.
But.. perhaps the world would be simpler and easier..
andy26
Well life would be less stressful as things would be more basic with out computers well at least i think so although tasks and other jobs would be much harder. personaly i wouldnt be able to live without my computer its now a habit for me to come home and switch my laptop on straight away and usually i come straight on here.