FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Will Computers Take Over Earth?

sathiyasri
Hi,

It's funny to say but, it can happen if technology will get smarter and smarter then computers might talk back to us and get angry almost like shown on Irobot when the robots take over..should this be stopped? Or are we just going to make stuff too advance
Babsta
No I don't want that to happen. That will be so weird. Then boys and girls will have robofriends instead of girlfriends and boyfriends. Haha. To make their girl jealous the boy will get a robofriend. That sounds so funny.
But I don't think anything like this is happening in the near future so I'm safe.
Very Happy
jabapyth
i think computers will just end up suplementing our brains, instead of taking over. WE will be the super-machines
Fake
Unless u are wacthing Terminator 3

I don't think so man will be that stupid
highlordadmin
It wont suprise me, when people like George W. Bush has been president for so long, i start wondering why people can call them selves "smart"...

But anyway, i doupt the robots will take over. But i am almost 100% that the lazy humans that we are, will use them in any way that makes life is easy as possible for us.
TruPain
Fake wrote:
I don't think so man will be that stupid

What do you mean you don't think man will be stupid? We already are stupid. Sure we accelerate our technology, and that is smart, but the way we go about things is completely wrong.

Sure, whatever the technology is, it will seem to be good, but they do not take into consideration the after effects. Why, because the way most think about it, it will not affect their lives or the lives of their kids so what difference does it make the them? Right now, most of our technology has bad after effects, but who seems to really care.

Will computers take over the world? I highly doubt it. Man will always feel the need to be in total control. But I think the main question should be when will man realize the mistakes of our ways and start thinking about a better future? With all the current technology, we have begun to rely too much on computers that many people have become lazy. So in that aspect, yes, computer can take over the world, as we control them... I just do not think computers will ever be in charge of us...
nilsmo
It won't take over the earth in our lifetimes. A computer may be able to beat a human at chess or other computation, and even perhaps imitate some speech, but current AI is nowhere near to making human-like decisions.
Vrythramax
Not as long as we can still unplug them Wink Opposable thumbs...a wonderful things Very Happy
theem
Never.......

Because we are the best creation !!!!!!!!! computers can't be be the best (because they need us to run them...)
not until we disappear fro hear... hahahah Laughing Laughing
goutha
Computers will continue to help us every day, every minute, and maybe every second...

But they will remain computers... just some hardware and software Smile

If human kind is going to disappear... it will be the job of other humans, not computers... Crying or Very sad
theem
absolutly right.........
Quote:
it will be the job of other humans, not computers...

Idea
jongoldsz
goutha wrote:
But they will remain computers... just some hardware and software

I agree. Computers have limits too. Even neutral networks aren't able to act as a perfect model of the human brain, but they are getting closer.
Kaisonic
I don't think computers will ever take over the earth. They're way to .... disposable... fragile... I mean, I guess humans are too, but we're way tougher. Computers need power supplies - when they run out, they die immediately. We need food - when we run out, we become hungry, get a little sick, and die after some time. Plus we're just way smarter than computers could ever be. Have we even developed actual AI yet? Maybe...I dunno. But I doubt computers will ever get smart enough to actually emulate what happens in movies like I,Robot.
mschnell
nilsmo wrote:
A computer may be able to beat a human at chess or other computation, and even perhaps imitate some speech

Computer speech recognition may be better than it was five years ago but it's still quite flawed. Also, those chess computers basically calculate probabilities don't they? That doesn't seem that brilliant to me. I think computers can only supplement our own minds--not think for themselves. A computer may be able to run complex algorithms, but who wrote those algorithms in the first place? The day I meet a machine that can write in new coding by itself to solve problems, I might consider starting to sweat. Oh the possibilities! Computers reproducing!! Now that would be something.
sibbahz
Really wouldnt like to see computers take over. We need some humans left in the world!
Things are automated enough as it is now.
william
I honestly doubt that computers could actually take over the world for several reasons. But the key reason, as some have already mentioned, is that computers also have limits. Even if they were artificially intelligent, they may be smarter than human, but it wouldn't be hard to stop them. Sooner or later, they could start overheating, run out of memory, and just become worn. Also, I think someone mentioned this, but just unplug them. Computers need electricity to run, human beings do not.
qscomputing
Computers cannot think for themselves. They can only do what we program them to do. They cannot take over the world unless we let them, and we cannot program anywhere near advanced enough to do that.
DynamicNames
In sense, yes. Computers can get there own minds and talk back to us. I loved that one episode on Eureka where the house robot turns on them, which is what would actually happen to us if we give the computers minds of there own. If we don't give the computers enough power, however, then it's most likely that the computers will stay the way they are and won't turn on us.
Yjaxygames
I think computer will not take over our world. Even when they are getting their own will, we shut them down.
guugu
Yjaxygames wrote:
I think computer will not take over our world. Even when they are getting their own will, we shut them down.

aye, removing their batteries Very Happy
but, seriosly... NO MORE TERMINATOR FILMS FOR YOU WHO MADE THIS TOPIC Very Happy
frozenhead
Again, it sounds like that "Matrix" movie for me though.

Unless "rationality" is a part of computing, I would say yes but like others said, just turn off the power. Laughing
Peterssidan
The computers can't be as smart as a human! not in the nerly future anyway. you never know how things change but today a computer can win in chess but thats one of billions of things we human can do.
If some robots learn how to build new robots but change a little sometimes so it mabie is better and it has bigger chanse of survive. and so on... the human can kill those robots because we are smarter, more and we know the buggs =)
maybe a robot lives better than humans if the earth get destroyed.
Vrythramax
This whole topic sounds like a screenplay for another bad computer movie....just unplug it if it starts to bug you.
DecayClan
I don't believe that a computer would destroy our world, but a human behind a computer could~~~
Vrythramax
DecayClan wrote:
I don't believe that a computer would destroy our world, but a human behind a computer could~~~

Applause VERY well said!

It seems rather ironic (moronic maybe?) however that anyone could believe (with todays standards) that a machine that relies totally on humans for knowledge and power, that someone could think computers could/would take over the world.

Absurd.
evilryu530
yes we will be destroued by om[pcuters
Vrythramax
evilryu530 wrote:
yes we will be destroued by om[pcuters

Nice spelling, it's easly seen you won't be stopping the "computer take-over", nor even be involved.

Sheesh.
Duncan Idaho
Artificial Intelligence just does whatever it is programmed to do. It can't take a new agenda, unless that is something it can do, which would be limited, but most likely they will eventually be able to adjust to what humans would interpret as, "living", although that is a very glim description of AI.

Edit: That being said, I must also say to those that refer to the whole human race as one group, that by itself shows that you don't want it to happen, for whatever reason perhaps you may have. Or, you might not, but believe in people standing up for a good cause. Either way, humans created them, so "computers" will still, in the end, not be the usurper, but ourselves.
andy26
yea i agree with the last comment robots and computers are programed what to do it would take many years to make such a code to learn and build its own code to learn and carry out new tasks.
soulman
DecayClan wrote:

wow, a good opinion...

people should know how to take 100% control on computers... 100% kill all the hacker files and virus. 100% make sure computers are safe to basic human establishments
andy26
soulman wrote:
DecayClan wrote:

wow, a good opinion...

people should know how to take 100% control on computers... 100% kill all the hacker files and virus. 100% make sure computers are safe to basic human establishments

yea this is what i kind of mean by that only the humans can make the interperater or compiler and the program it would take a lot of time to produce a super learning code thats if its posible and yes computers could really take over human kind rite now if they where programed to do so anyway.
mjohnson
In many place there are a lot of people do not kown what is computer yet,do you think it will?
godam64
human will be always smarter than computers.
but it takes time.
trust me Laughing
goutha
This is a very old questions...

man is always afraid from what he sees Smile
jay84h
Wow, that would be so creepy. But to tell you the truth, I believe that it may very well happen. ne day you'll be sitting at your computer, talking away probably getting angry at something, then all of a sudden the computer talks back to you? That would be sooo creepy. I would say someday Artificial Intelligence would be happening in a couple of years.
Mannix
Improbable. While it is entirely possible that some sort of computer bug could become self aware, chances are it will not become invulnerable. ...To quote a game called C&C Generals, ( Very Happy ) "There's always a way in." control will always be severable by someone or something. The question is... ...Will people always know how to do it? Some of humanity's greatest achievements include breaking the unbreakable machine. ...Such as the Nazi's encryption machine. (The name escapes me.) ...All things are possible with God on the side of man.
justnewbie
It won't work.. except if human made robot think like a logical loop or conflict as in Terminator 3 or I,robot , but I still doesn't believe that robot can think in a way resembling our brain... and robots is not possible to have feelings. So, nope, computers wont take over us.
Bluedoll
I guess it depends how you define take over. In a job situation it is not only possible but it have been shown in history. Many jobs have been replaced. Computers do some thing better and can work in environments that we can’t. It would be silly to send a person into outer space to bounce signals back to the earth manually or operate machinery laboriously in a factory.

Money which is power can be managed entirely by computers and a smart program.

As computer advance they may someday be able to out think humans. Tasks aren’t the only thing they might be able to do, perhaps someday they could handle things like law or governmental tasks or as a talking friend a computer may even fill a need for companionship.

However the question may be - Can people take over the world from the machines? As we rely on computers we could forget what it is like to make decisions and manage things any other way. That would mean we will have to be educated, interesting and have something a robot will never have – the human spirit. In other words we would have to learn to be human again.
Fright Knight
I'm not sure. what if the day comes that Artificial intelligence will be perfected? Well i hope no one will be crazy enough to do that in a large scale. If computers will take over, how will us, ordinary human go to work and earn money for our family? i heard that in japan, robots are the one doing the most dangerous construction jobs.

Its a good thing because humans will be away from danger but we must use it or produce it in a very limitted way. Hmmm..... I think people will not let that happen. We love computers, and we sometimes depend on them, but I think we are not going to entrust our lives to them...

Hehehe. Humans Rock!
conansoh
jongoldsz wrote:
goutha wrote:
But they will remain computers... just some hardware and software

I agree. Computers have limits too. Even neutral networks aren't able to act as a perfect model of the human brain, but they are getting closer.

Computers will always be a hardware but I dread to think what will be the effect if there is no internet connection....
skygaia
Well.....

As time goes on, computer will be smater. but I think it's not possible for the computers to be smart which we've seen that in the movies.
Dragonfly
A good proposition. Computers must be created in such a manner to betterment of human life. But like we have one in Spiderman, computer controlled robots and the sick people behind could really create havocs in the coming days. But there are more smart people around and I don't think computers will ever take over this world.
RubySlasher
Robots will take over the earth. They will be refined versions of ourself, and that's the word.
funnyerror
I dont think that computer are going to take over the world... However, they may take over the people who inhabit the world, thereby indirectly controlling the world i suppose.
clarinda0551
I live in Melbourne and we are having the dries summer in 1000 years. So i can tell you we wont be taken over by computers, coz we will be killed by ourselves before that
Bockman
I actually think it will be possible in the near (and this is <50years) future to have robots with AI (and I mean a decent AI) to fulfill most of our chores. As for having sufficient AI to take us over, I can't imagine that happening anytime soon (though I don't decline that possibility in the long run).

Now for the funny part (I hope Razz )
Arrow Best way to keep things under human control Question
Arrow Keep them 'puters running Micro$oft. Those BSOD's (blue screens) are there for some reason, we just don't see it yet Exclamation (Gates is a visionary, believe me.)

Be Well Cool
Davidgr1200
I would expect (if civilisation survives long enough) humans to evolve probably in combination with computers "enhancements". I doubt if computers/robots or whatever you want to call them would just take over. Look back 100 years and see how people have changed since then: Artificial limbs, organs etc.. The boundaries will become even more blurred in the future. Take, for example, a person who loses his arms and legs in a car crash. He can have artificial limbs now, perhaps he will be able to have some sort of implant to improve his memory, an extra pump to improve his heart and decrease the risk of a coronary. Perhaps an artificial kidney to replace the one damaged by drinking too much alcohol etc.
Probably advances will come by people changing their bodies for "decoration" reasons. Just think if you could have a moving tattoo which showed a film! or implanted leds which can glow in the dark. It doesn't take much imagination to see that we could quickly come ta a stage where our bodies were more than half mechanical. Are we robots then?
Whong
No way, Satan will take over, but only for a short time, untill he is thrown into the fiery fernace, Hell! Exclamation