I had Windows XP Pro installed in my computer but yesterday after deleting some file by mistake (not sure which one), my computer restarts as soon as I choose Windows XP from the start-up page (I've Win 98 also so I get the option between XP and 98 ). I've my Windows XP CD with me but I need some help how to go about repairing it. I don't have system restore enabled!
Any help would be much appreciated.
If you have access to your XP partition from Win98 go to the XP partition and look in the Recycled folder (which is hidden by default) to see which file you deleted.
No, I meant use Win98 to go to the Recycle Bin of XP.
I've been menaing to post this for quite a while now. I got my XP repaired and thought if anyone has the same problem they can find the guide here. So here goes -
1. Boot Windows XP from the CD.
2. Now let the CD load till you get the message - To set up Windows XP now, press ENTER Do not select Recovery Console
3. Now F8 to agree with the terms and conditions at the next screen.
4. In the next screen you'll get the option whether to repair the installed XP or install fresh version. Press R to repair. If you select fresh installation all your data in that partition will be lost.
5. It will seem as XP is being installed again but actually only the missing or corrupted files will be copied. Enter CD-key when prompted.