FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Repairing Windows XP

ainieas
I had Windows XP Pro installed in my computer but yesterday after deleting some file by mistake (not sure which one), my computer restarts as soon as I choose Windows XP from the start-up page (I've Win 98 also so I get the option between XP and 98 ). I've my Windows XP CD with me but I need some help how to go about repairing it. I don't have system restore enabled!

Any help would be much appreciated.
MrBlueSky
If you have access to your XP partition from Win98 go to the XP partition and look in the Recycled folder (which is hidden by default) to see which file you deleted.
ainieas
MrBlueSky wrote:
If you have access to your XP partition from Win98 go to the XP partition and look in the Recycled folder (which is hidden by default) to see which file you deleted.

Actually in Win 98 I can only see the files that I deleted from Win 98.
MrBlueSky
No, I meant use Win98 to go to the Recycle Bin of XP.
ainieas
I've been menaing to post this for quite a while now. I got my XP repaired and thought if anyone has the same problem they can find the guide here. So here goes -

1. Boot Windows XP from the CD.

2. Now let the CD load till you get the message - To set up Windows XP now, press ENTER Do not select Recovery Console

3. Now F8 to agree with the terms and conditions at the next screen.

4. In the next screen you'll get the option whether to repair the installed XP or install fresh version. Press R to repair. If you select fresh installation all your data in that partition will be lost.

5. It will seem as XP is being installed again but actually only the missing or corrupted files will be copied. Enter CD-key when prompted.

You're done!
internetjobs
ainieas wrote:
I had Windows XP Pro installed in my computer but yesterday after deleting some file by mistake (not sure which one), my computer restarts as soon as I choose Windows XP from the start-up page (I've Win 98 also so I get the option between XP and 98 ). I've my Windows XP CD with me but I need some help how to go about repairing it. I don't have system restore enabled!

Any help would be much appreciated.

there is two or three ways.. if you have problem with missing file but it logons successfully then go to run and type sfc /scannow then insert windows xp cd.. it will find and replace original with windows xp files...

if you are not able to succesfully logoin go to bios setup and select cd-rom as first boot device and insert windows xp cd.. then select repair option... (second repair-not console, first enter and second repair) it will delete all old system files and will copy all new windows xp system files...