FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

FRIH$/Points for PM's

FRIH$/Points for PM's?
Yes!
33%
 33%  [ 1 ]
No!
66%
 66%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 3

willy101
Well, I just joined this site's forum yesterday, and it's a wonderful site. I noticed that people often post things that should be Private Messaged. As an incentive to ameliorate the forum of these types of posts, we could add FRIH$/Points for PM's.
How would you feel about this?
reddishblue
This will not happen, points allow you to keep your hosting and PMs do not help Frihost with ads, unlike posts, and if Pms were awarded Frih$ then there will be massive inflation in the Marketplace because everyone will be so rich.
ninjakannon
Yeah, I have to agree with reddishblue on this one. To add to his points I must say that I'm sure there would be a lot of PM spaming as this is not so easily ‘monitorable’ by moderators and admins. (Do admins and/or moderators actually have the power to see PMs?) Furthermore, you can PM yourself, so users who discovered this was possible would PM them self a couple of times with a few random characters in the post and then they would just delete the message so that no one could see that they'd done it. I suppose this could be fixed, however.
saratdear
I am not in favour of this idea. As ninjakannon said, because of the fact that people can PM themselves, this can lead to an abuse of the point system.

And on the other hand, a PM is usually a personal conversation, and this would not contribute to a forum conversation in any way. What I am trying to say is that, Frihost is supporting itself with ads, and the pm messages don't show ads. Frihost supports quality posts which add or contribute in any way to the forum, and points/frih$ are awarded on this basis.(atleast that is the idea of Frihost, of course) A pm is just a conversation between too people, and this does not contribute in any way to the forum. So the idea suggested is not very good.

I am sorry if I seem a bit harsh.

All things mentioned above are purely my opinions, of course.

//offtopic : By the way, willy101, your signature seems larger than the specified limit. //
Bondings
All posts are (or at least should be) moderated and monitored. Private messages are not moderated and kept private (not read by the staff/me) unless there are complaints (spamming) or the system is abused in some way - and for your information this only happened once or twice ever. This would be extremely easy to be abused (just send a message to a random 0-post user) and pm's don't really add value to this community, unlike quality posts.
tidruG
willy101 wrote:
I noticed that people often post things that should be Private Messaged.

Honestly, I've never noticed that.

And well, like all the others said, there are too many cons (and really barely any pros), so I really doubt if we're going to implement this.
ninjakannon
tidruG wrote:
willy101 wrote:
I noticed that people often post things that should be Private Messaged.

Honestly, I've never noticed that.

I believe willy101's talking about things like the following, which I felt like asking myself but never did:

saratdear wrote:
//offtopic : By the way, willy101, your signature seems larger than the specified limit. //

I've noticed this a wee bit, but to be honest there isn't too much of that around.

Also, Bondings, I think the "Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!" bit in your signature is a bit unnecessary now, it's over a month after New Year now and no one's thinking about it at this time.

See, I've just done it! Razz
I think comments on people's signatures are the most common form of unprompted off-topic discussion.
willy101
Okay thanks for your input, and my signature is now fixed! (sorry for being off topic Very Happy ). I'm pretty sure that no one desires this addition. Sorry if I was out of line, and thanks again for your help.

If a mod would be so kind as to lock this topic, I'd greatly appreciate it
ninjakannon
willy101 wrote:
Sorry if I was out of line

You weren't out of line at all, it's just a suggestion that has too many cons - we don't mind if you suggest things which aren't ever going to happen, hopefully the next person to think of this will search and then get the answer to their suggestion straight away; so it's not all bad.
tidruG
ninja's right.
No suggestion is out of line... (some of them are just plain terrible, but that's another case, don't worry about it Wink)

Anyway, since you asked for this AWIT to be closed, I'll do so now.

-close-