FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Upgrade vs Full Version

eday2010
After reading the back of the Vista packages, I got a bit comfused about upgrade vs full version. As far as I know if you are using a previous version of Windows, you get the upgrade version of Vista. So what happens if say, one day, you are lightly tasering your pc and you cause it to crash, screwing up everything, and you need to reinstall everything? Do you need to install the old Windows first and then install the Vista upgrade?

The back of the Vista upgrade box at the bottom says a bunch of stuff and says a clean install may be necessary. To me, a clean install = full version install. How can you do a clean install with an upgrade version of Windows?
{name here}
eday2010 wrote:
After reading the back of the Vista packages, I got a bit comfused about upgrade vs full version. As far as I know if you are using a previous version of Windows, you get the upgrade version of Vista. So what happens if say, one day, you are lightly tasering your pc and you cause it to crash, screwing up everything, and you need to reinstall everything? Do you need to install the old Windows first and then install the Vista upgrade?

The back of the Vista upgrade box at the bottom says a bunch of stuff and says a clean install may be necessary. To me, a clean install = full version install. How can you do a clean install with an upgrade version of Windows?

Either way you will need to install Windows 2000/XP before installing Vista - DRM issue.
evilryu530
vista is so awesome, i love it!
eday2010
A pain in the anus that you would need to reinstall the old Windows first. At least I can get the full versions OEM for the price the upgrades are retail.
Bones
In XP you can do a clean install with an upgrade disk and if it doesn't detect the previous version of Windows, tit'll ask for the disk to verify that you do own it (though some OEM disks wont work for qualifying media)

In Vista you need a full version disk to clean install. With an upgrade disk you need to clean install XP then upgrade.
Drago
{name here} wrote:
eday2010 wrote:

Either way you will need to install Windows 2000/XP before installing Vista - DRM issue.

Yes, once you have xp/2000 installed, the vista disk will give you the option to upgrade or do a clean install. I personally went with the clean install as I have never had luck with an upgrade.
mystzero
Well, i was reading neowin the other day and i came across this useful work around.

http://www.neowin.net/index.php?act=view&id=37711

Hope this will clarify your question.
eday2010
I can get the full OEM version for the price of the retail upgrade, so when I go to Vista, I will be buying the OEM version.
rekluzz
mystzero wrote:
Well, i was reading neowin the other day and i came across this useful work around.

http://www.neowin.net/index.php?act=view&id=37711

Hope this will clarify your question.

The link states that the XP license is forfeited.
I'd heard that before. So if you upgrade, you lose your XP license and you can never use XP again on that, or any computer in the future. You will be able to install XP, but you won't be able to validate it with Microsoft any longer. Bummer!
eday2010
That's when you use a work around so you don't need to validate it. Or just use the corporate edition which doesn't need validation.

It's not so much forfeiting your license as it is selling it back to Microsoft for the difference in price between the upgrade and the full version.