FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Converting XML into HTML

xyberz
Does anyone know how to convert a Microsoft Excel 2007 workbook into a functional webpage or how to integrate it into one? I've tried the Publish option but it doesn't seem to work correctly.
LukeakaDanish
Eh...just to be clear about this: XML and Excel have quite little to do with each other...

If you want a working spreadsheet (i.e. one the user can change) you'll have to look for some javascript program to help you. (I googled that for you) If all you want to do is display the data, choose Save as --> other formats and choose html!
MrBlueSky
LukeakaDanish wrote:
Eh...just to be clear about this: XML and Excel have quite little to do with each other...

Actually they do. Microsoft has adopted XML as an open standard file format for it's Office applications in Office 2007.

http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms406049.aspx
LukeakaDanish
MrBlueSky wrote:
Actually they do. Microsoft has adopted XML as an open standard file format for it's Office applications in Office 2007.

Ooh..spicy I didn't know...

My answer below that is still "good" though innit?
xyberz
Yeah, that's what I was looking for. A free program that can convert the file over to HTML with users being able to still manipulate the table.

Also MrBlueSky is right, it's Microsoft Excel 2007 that I'm using and it can save the files as XML now, among the other formats it can also save as. They've included a lot of different formats, not sure how many is new because I've never really used the other ones than the typical XLS file.

Edit:

Actually that's almost what I was looking for. My original worksheet is in Excel XLS format and I want the conversion, which will look like it will have to be done with Javascript, to operate exactly the same.

My worksheet is not complicated what so ever. Just some basic math calculations and a few pull-downs all in a simple table.

The program you suggested requires creating a HTML document and having to input everything manually. Also I don't think it does pull down menus, at least not with the information that they give and doesn't lock any cells.

Sorry, I don't mean to be a complainer or anything. It's just that I want it to work exactly as I intended it to.
xyberz
Is there any Javascript program that I can use to do such a thing? It seems like this may be the road that I'll need to head down in order to achieve what I'm looking for.

Hopefully someone has experience or can point me towards the right direction. There's so much information out there that it's pretty hard to sort through.