FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

changing default home directory

rekluzz
I've set up and installed wordpress on my site.
The site works fine, but I'd like to change the default directory.
Currently it is domains/<mydomain>/public_html/wordpress/
How can I change it to load into
domains/<mydomain>/public_html/blog/
so that my homepage shows as ie: mydomain.frih.net/blog

I tried editing a couple of files (index.php and wp-config.php), but it only results in errors. I'm sure there is a simple fix to this problem, but I'm stumped.
Any help is appreciated.
wumingsden
rekluzz wrote:
I've set up and installed wordpress on my site.
The site works fine, but I'd like to change the default directory.
Currently it is domains/<mydomain>/public_html/wordpress/
How can I change it to load into
domains/<mydomain>/public_html/blog/
so that my homepage shows as ie: mydomain.frih.net/blog

I tried editing a couple of files (index.php and wp-config.php), but it only results in errors. I'm sure there is a simple fix to this problem, but I'm stumped.
Any help is appreciated.

Please note that I have never, ever, tested this out. Only do so if your able to reverse the changes.

login to your wordpress blog. go to the acp, and it should say the blog is installed at www.mydomain.frih.net/wordpress
Change this to www.mydomain.frih.net/blog and hit save/submit/, whatever. Then, rename the wordpress directory to blog

edit: alternatively you can check out here (a more detailed method of my way, it seems)
rekluzz
wumingsden wrote:

login to your wordpress blog. go to the acp, and it should say the blog is installed at www.mydomain.frih.net/wordpress
Change this to www.mydomain.frih.net/blog and hit save/submit/, whatever. Then, rename the wordpress directory to blog

By acp, do you mean Control Panel? I only have acces to DirectAdmin.
Quote:

edit: alternatively you can check out here (a more detailed method of my way, it seems)

Even on this page it states:
"Moving the WordPress files from one location on your server to another - changing its URL - requires some special care."
I did find this page already before my first post and tried following their instructions.
Still no luck.
wumingsden
you have to change the url the blog points to in the control panel of wordpress. you then have to rename the folder wordpress to blog, it seems.

if your having problems, PM me your hosting details and I will move it for you.
rekluzz
wumingsden wrote:
..you then have to rename the folder wordpress to blog, it seems.
PM me your hosting details and I will move it for you.

Thanks for replying. I wanted to keep the wordpress files in that directory and have my blog entries saved in a different directory, not just a renamed wordpress directory. I may PM you if all else fails, but I'd really like to learn how to do everything with the site myself.
This is all new to me so I really enjoy learning it all from the ground up, but in the process I'll probably ask a bunch of dumb questions.
swizzy
this is all crap

follow this:
edit your wp-config.php to reflect changes
set new settings in your admin page (in wordpress)

read "moving wordpress to a new host" (just for getting step-by-step inst. to changing directories) it works!
mOrpheuS
rekluzz wrote:
I wanted to keep the wordpress files in that directory and have my blog entries saved in a different directory, not just a renamed wordpress directory.

Your blog entries should normally be saved in the corresponding MySQL database - not in the directory where wordpress is installed.

For changing your wordpress url from http://yourdomain.frih.net/wordpress/ to http://yoursite.frih.net/blog/ you MUST rename the directory that wordpress is installed in OR play around with .htaccess apache directives file.

In my opinion, renaming the directory is the better and more logical way to do it.
wumingsden
mOrpheuS wrote:
rekluzz wrote:
I wanted to keep the wordpress files in that directory and have my blog entries saved in a different directory, not just a renamed wordpress directory.

Your blog entries should normally be saved in the corresponding MySQL database - not in the directory where wordpress is installed.

For changing your wordpress url from http://yourdomain.frih.net/wordpress/ to http://yoursite.frih.net/blog/ you MUST rename the directory that wordpress is installed in OR play around with .htaccess apache directives file.

In my opinion, renaming the directory is the better and more logical way to do it.

You should do this, but also you should need to edit the db because it should held the path to where wordpress is installed. If the place changes, you will need to change it. You can do the editing in the control panel before renaming, or manually in the database.
rekluzz
Thanks for all the tips!