FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Why DA and not Cpanel for Server 2?

Mosquito.Tyler
I ran a search on the topic, and didn't find quite the answer I was looking for. I'm curious why Server one runs CPanel, when server 2 runs Direct Admin. I have read that they each have their pro's and cons, but I'm curious why both servers aren't using the same setup. I'm not complaining or bragging, I'm just curious what the reason is, if any.
Animal
You would really need to ask Bondings, but I'm fairly sure it's a cost issue. DirectAdmin licenses tend to cost less than half the price of cPanel.
Bondings
DirectAdmin has a lot of advantages over cPanel, not just the price. cPanel is also a very big resource hog and much slower than DirectAdmin. I wasn't familiar with DirectAdmin when I started Frihost, so that's why I took cPanel.
swizzy
directadmin is much easier, lite, and handles domain setups much more better that cpanel (as bondings had confirmed before). but still missing fantastico
pashmina
Bondings wrote:
DirectAdmin has a lot of advantages over cPanel, not just the price. cPanel is also a very big resource hog and much slower than DirectAdmin. I wasn't familiar with DirectAdmin when I started Frihost, so that's why I took cPanel.

Very true.
I have experienced the difference. and plus the file manager on cPanel is the worse comparatively direct admin is more faster than cpanel.
and plus i like the file manager of direct admin more than that of cpanel file manager
Soulfire
At first I was disappointed because I wanted cPanel, but I like DA MUCH more.
Arnie
DA is fine, I only miss the ability to make FTP accounts with limited space. For example to give classmates the ability to update stuff we're working on together, but without giving them all my free space. Because if they're not trustworthy who knows what they'll upload... If I could restrict the size of a certain directory to, say 2MB, that'd be fine for HTML/pics/PDFs etc. but too small for warez et al.

Just took the opportunity to out a suggestion Smile
mathiaus
Arnie wrote:
Just took the opportunity to out a suggestion Smile

These suggestions would be better directed at the direct admin developers who can actually do something about it Smile

Well this has turned into another, 'I liked CPanel but now I like DA more' topics. The original question has been answered (though I feel it has already in the past) so....
-close-