FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Laptop or desktop

raaeft1
I am in a dilemma. Should i buy a desktop system or laptop for my home office use.
I feel that buying a desktop is easier as the configurations are more or less clear but laptops are entirely different. Each company has different configurations and one is not sure about after-sales service as well. However, laptops have their plus points too like prtability and so on.
Animal
Moved from General Chat to Hardware and Electronics forum.
fadirocks
Desktops are cheaper, faster and also cheaper to fix if you don't think you're going to move around the PC then make it desktop

For example You spilled some drink on keyboard of desktop = no problem with $10 you can get a good keyboard but for laptop ouch you just killed the whole thing!

CD & DVD media usage if you do that much then again for desktop is really cheap to replace you can get cheap 18x DVDRW for $30 but for laptop OUCH

Hard Drive for PC larger in bytes, faster & cheaper! so upgrade your HD or add a new one?

Video card usually laptops don't have that great video card for desktop you can spend couple bucks for now then upgrade later with fast gaming card when you get more money

Laptop vs Desktop display well you know for desktop way cheaper!

but then if you really need to use PC that travels with you to present material for work or school project well simply you need a laptop otherwise just use desktop!

Cheers
Jaan
Tell it like it is, Fadi!
You should go with a Desktop, it will be alot cheaper and upgradeable in the future. Wait a bit before buying so companies get adjusted to Vista.
qscomputing
Depends what you want the computer for; if you want it to be portable, get a laptop. If you want as much power and upgradability as possible, but don't need it to be portable, get a desktop.
Shin
I would go for a laptop. I use to think desktop is better and easier to upgrade and repair. But with the advancement of the PC world is so quick. by the time you upgrade one component you would probably find yourself have to upgrade another component(s). More often than not, the new component that you are going to installed has compabitility issues with your existing components. you'll end up upgrading all anyway. In this ase you might as well buy a complete new system.

However if you are sure that portability is not something you would concern. eg, it'll be always in your bedroom or study room. Then go for a desktop, as for the same price you will get a better spec.
the6thfactor
All depends on how you're going to use it. If you travel alot, for business or what not, definitely go laptop. But if you know it's going to stick at home/office, go desktop. I originally bought a laptop, for when I went away for school. And being a freelance web designer, I needed to take it with me to to meetings all of the time. But now I have also recently built my own desktop, which I use for entertainment. Just all depends on your wants and needs.
brycearonium
Ok first, go with apple. you get the benefits of booting windows or mac osx. they come in an all in one package, so it's super wasy.

Ask yourself this. whats important, screen size or portability?

if you say portability, then get a laptop (macbook, macbook pro)

if you say screen size, get an imac (17, 20, 24 inch)

apple has an awesome selection to pick from, and i know you'll be happy with any of those!
internetjobs
i think deskop is best because of thats price, and replacing parts are available in very low rate, but in lap top parts are very costly, and component service is very difficult, main thing is easily we can carry lap top, that is the one of the benefits of the lap top, in pc we can obtain very high configuration with low rate...
psycosquirrel
Since laptops are so expensive, I went for the best of both worlds. I have a high-end desktop for gaming, and a low-end laptop (pentium M 1.2GHz, 640Mb RAM, 12" screen, etc) for any school or class needs. My theory is that I will be less motivated to be off-task if my laptop is less capable of it. I spent under $1500 total on both, and the desktop completely smears most $1500-2000 laptops. Not to mention it is a Shuttle, so it is portable too Cool
Dwyer17
brycearonium wrote:
Ok first, go with apple.

Macintosh sucks, I mean sucks, like it sucks, to the ultimate extreme. All my experiences with Macs are super negative. Extreme bad experiences. I hate Macs to the extreme. So, no. Do not go with apple. Sorry

But laptop or desktop? Are you building your own system? It's much cheaper to build your own laptop than to buy one. As always though, desktops are cheaper than laptops. I'm going to have to say go with desktop. Even though I love the extreme convenience of a laptop. Laptops can go anywhere. Kitchen table, tv room, upstiars, downstairs, etc. Get both haha, nah, get a desktop.

and like psycosquirrel, with his Shuttle (i am a bit jelous, those things are really neat), yeah those mini desktops are pretty portable, so if it's portability your looking for, maybe you should look into a shuttle, i've always wanted one of those. I got a full tower right now, huge. 50lbs. UGH, not necesary.
psycosquirrel
In defense of Apple, they are great systems. They do not like abuse though, so many (myself included) have had extremely bad experiences with public-use Macs. I used a $3000 MacBook Pro (C2D, FULLY loaded...) for producing a movie at school. It crashed at least 50 times in the ~30 hours I was on it. It was so unstable, but was amazing when it actually worked. On the other hand, my friend Tom has a MacBook Pro that has been kept in flawless condition. While it doesn't have dual core, or 2Gb of RAM, it runs like a dream and has stability I have only seen in PC builds I have made myself. Dells could not touch the stability of that Mac... But then again, it is two generations old and is still worth over $1k.

Bottom line is: Macs are amazing, but only the top of the line ones. And if you do gouge out $2000+ for a good Mac, be prepared to treat that thing like a baby. You may even have to breastfeed it. Damn, they are rediculously high-maintainance. Spend $2000+ on a PC, and you will get a hell of a lot more for your money but a bit less style. Actually, now that I have written all of this... I say don't even bother with a Mac unless you are a graphics artist or want something that looks pretty. Because you ultimately will be forced to run Windows on it. It is inevitible. All your Mac are belong to Windows.
bigdan
I'd repeat what the others would say...but I'll summarise it:

Laptop - if you travel or are a student, yes, otherwise, go for desktop. Very Happy
Fright Knight
fadirocks wrote:
Desktops are cheaper, faster and also cheaper to fix if you don't think you're going to move around the PC then make it desktop

For example You spilled some drink on keyboard of desktop = no problem with $10 you can get a good keyboard but for laptop ouch you just killed the whole thing!

CD & DVD media usage if you do that much then again for desktop is really cheap to replace you can get cheap 18x DVDRW for $30 but for laptop OUCH

Hard Drive for PC larger in bytes, faster & cheaper! so upgrade your HD or add a new one?

Video card usually laptops don't have that great video card for desktop you can spend couple bucks for now then upgrade later with fast gaming card when you get more money

Laptop vs Desktop display well you know for desktop way cheaper!

but then if you really need to use PC that travels with you to present material for work or school project well simply you need a laptop otherwise just use desktop!

Cheers

Very true.

well if you want easy upgrades and maintenance, go for a desktop. Its easy to maintain its hardware and also its easy to add memory, and other cards on it. I just don't know how to do that with laptops. If it is as what you said that you are going to use it for your home office, then i guess You're not really going to travel with it. (I supposed that would be the case).

If your PC will be stationary then go for a desktop. If you want to carry it with you as you travel, go for a laptop.

But for me, I'll go for a desktop.

peace.