FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Motherboard and GPU card matching

rvpro
I'm hopefully soon to upgrade my TV. Gonna go for a 32" LCD with HDMI input. Which seems to me to be a good excuse to upgrade the graphics on my HTPC.

Currently running the onboard graphics of my MS-7093 motherboard. I've got my eye on a passive GeForce 7600 GS. Seems to tick all the boxes... until I looked at the recommendations from my motherboard.

The manufacturers website recommends I use ATi Radeon. Will it matter? Nearly everywhere I read, nvidia seems to win on the DVD playback front. This is for HTPC only, no games.

So... should I listen to the motherboard manufacturer or will the nvidia be OK?

Thanks
sush
I'm using the same RS480M2-IL board.

There's no bar on the make and chipset of the GPU that u buy, the only possible reason for the manufacturer's recommendation is that the mobo chipset is ATi RS480, so you should buy an ATi card if you want to have the psychological advantage of "thinking" that nothing will go wrong between components by the same manufacturer.

Go for 7600GS if you like it. Though if you just want an HTPC experience and no gaming, ATi x1600PRO is cheaper and not very pathetic in comparison.
DecayClan
The difference that you will see, is minimal. Almost none...
Its for the exact same reason, that everytie a customer comes into the store that i work, and ask for a Printer, i always suggest HP. Why? Because my boss says so(they have special contracts with HP). The same thing goes with your mobo.