FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

What do these look like to you?

horseatingweeds
Take a look at this page and tell me what you think these are.

http://www.efficientpresence.com/glass.htm

Well crap! I forgot about the URL.

Also, dont look at the URL before you look at the web page.....
Dragate
They look like random boxes to me.

Since it's a webdesign site, and it's supposed to be glass, I would guess that they are actually images to parts of layouts, or buttons or some kind.

If you are planning on using something like that, I would advise not. The colour and the whole concept of those little pictures don't look all that asthetically appealing.

What ever they are I'm sure they are for a good reason Very Happy
horseatingweeds
My idea is to create a webpage that looks like it is made of glass. I’m not a Photoshop expert so I’m trying to figure out a good technique for producing something that looks like sheets of glass.

If you imagine a sheet of glass really hard, then look at my graphics, they do look like glass for a few seconds. I call that progress….
IceCreamTruck
There is a free image manipulation program called the G.I.M.P. (GNU Image Manipulation Project) and it's totally free and available online for download at http://gimp.org

I recomend taking pictures of glass with a digital camera and seeing what different types of glass and colors do to give the appearance of glass.

You might take different approaches depending on weather or not you want it to look like window glass or bottle glass.

There are filters in the gimp that you can play around with that are called glass effects and they do a pretty good job if you get to know them and know what to expect if you apply the effect or filter to your image.

In cartoons glass is denoted by three diagonal lines down the middle of the "window" I will try and post more images for you to take a look at once i'm near my other computer.

Also, glass is more about what is behind it showing through the glass then it is about making something look like glass on a white background. It's really hard to make glass on a white or black background, but if you have a color image behind it then it will be much easier to make the forground look like glass.

Hope some of these ideas help a little.

The images you showed do not look like glass because the background is white and your mind can't see the white showing through. The images look opaque not clear, and glass is clear.

Also, one more thing before I go, if you have a colorful background then show part of it out from under the glass, and the part that is under the glass to the viewer will actually have a slight tent to it that is the real color of the glass be it green or white glass it will have an effect on the colors that shine through it. Your mind looks for these details on it's own, and if they aren't there then your mind won't tell you that you are looking through glass. If you do a good job of "transparencies" (check layer transparency in the gimp) then these slight color differencials are actually pretty easy to create. Play with the options in the gimp for best results.

Hope this helps!!

Message me or reply to this post and I will try and help more if I have not been very clear here.

Check all of the examples below. I took time to pick out images that showed some kind of glass effect that I discussed above. Once again it's almost more about what is behind the glass than the glass itself.

Examples from google "glass" search:
1. http://www.tate.org.uk/collection/T/T01/T01697_9.jpg
2. http://www.irational.org/heath/stained_glass/bristol_st_werbughs_glass_graffiti01.jpg
3. http://www.ek-glass.co.uk/images/TABLES002.jpg
4. http://www.cs.cmu.edu/afs/cs/misc/rayshade/all_mach/omega/doc/Examples/jpg/glass.jpg
horseatingweeds
Thanks IceCreamTruck, I didn’t realize there was an open source image manipulator. Do you know how it compares to Photoshop? I have been trying to learn PS for a few months now.

I got this idea because I am working on an informational website the float glass industry. If it looked like everything was made of raw piece of freshly produced flat glass it would be ideal.

Your idea for taking some good pictures of glass would be most realistic. However, as you probably know, often on a website or other virtual media, actual photos can look less realistic than realistic looking graphics. There would also be the difficulty of transparency.

I’ll let you know if I make any progress and any help would be appreciated. If I can manage what I am thinking it would be very cool and original; originality possibly do to impossibility…..

Edit:

Here we go. This looks a bit better:
saratdear
They look like just random boxes to me too. But I really don't recommend using it for a website. The concept is good, but I really don't like the greenish color. Perhaps if the color was changed and it was given a more "glossy" look, perhaps it would look better.
aningbo
glossy look and light blue will do for glasses. i've never been able to get those glassy effect but i tried and got only fading and sort of... good luck to you bro.
guugu
reminds me about those lego windows Very Happy
IceCreamTruck
horseatingweeds wrote:
Thanks IceCreamTruck, I didn’t realize there was an open source image manipulator. Do you know how it compares to Photoshop? I have been trying to learn PS for a few months now.

I got this idea because I am working on an informational website the float glass industry. If it looked like everything was made of raw piece of freshly produced flat glass it would be ideal.

Your idea for taking some good pictures of glass would be most realistic. However, as you probably know, often on a website or other virtual media, actual photos can look less realistic than realistic looking graphics. There would also be the difficulty of transparency.

I’ll let you know if I make any progress and any help would be appreciated. If I can manage what I am thinking it would be very cool and original; originality possibly do to impossibility…..

Edit:

I've taken a short amount of time to show you what i was talking about through a quick example that i created using the gimp.

For a quick view of this file: go here

For the full-blown, editable, layered gimp file: right click this and "save target as" to your desktop.

I'm sorry I don't have much more time to spend helping you with this project right now, but this image at least imbodies the consepts I wanted you to learn. Glass is actually a really hard effect, made easier by transperanant layers in the Gimp. This coupled with a few other ideas (surface lines, gradients, and bevels) should make for a pretty solid glass idea, but you'll have to play with them to really make the effect come out and wow the viewer.

Advanced glass effects will show color differences that suggest a forground and the viewer looking at the image, and these will make the glass look closer to real life, but for now master the art of "cartoon" glass as it is a little more simple than adding color bubbles and contour shapes to the glass in order to suggest realism.

I really hope this helps, I've already spent too long here!!!
aningbo
IceCreamTruck wrote:
horseatingweeds wrote:

Edit:

I've taken a short amount of time to show you what i was talking about through a quick example that i created using the gimp.

For a quick view of this file: go here

For the full-blown, editable, layered gimp file: right click this and "save target as" to your desktop.

I'm sorry I don't have much more time to spend helping you with this project right now, but this image at least imbodies the consepts I wanted you to learn. Glass is actually a really hard effect, made easier by transperanant layers in the Gimp. This coupled with a few other ideas (surface lines, gradients, and bevels) should make for a pretty solid glass idea, but you'll have to play with them to really make the effect come out and wow the viewer.

Advanced glass effects will show color differences that suggest a forground and the viewer looking at the image, and these will make the glass look closer to real life, but for now master the art of "cartoon" glass as it is a little more simple than adding color bubbles and contour shapes to the glass in order to suggest realism.

I really hope this helps, I've already spent too long here!!!

looks like a transparent image to me!!!! which can done in photoshop in seconds but nevertheless, its very good. do a little google search for the right tutorial. i found some but never tried out myself with such limited time ... my exams and all.
IceCreamTruck
I hope that you found what you were looking for!

I'll be around if you need further help on this project.
bcarasco
lol it did look like it was supposed to be web graphics, but didn't look like glass unless I stared at it for a long time ( I started to think of glass after I looked at the overlapping boxes)
illegalhost
Hi, yeah, overall i don't see anything really special about glass! LOL. But if you wish to use this theme, then perhaps you would like to know that glass is not an easy material to work with, due to its transparency.

However, it would work well when it is associated with your company. In the first place, you need to think of how is glass associated with the web design company? Is it just to show off your design skills? If that is the case, i would not recommend the theme of glass since it is not worth (again, my 2 cents) the effort.

But it is good to use when you know that glass could be a very nice template for your customers' webpages who could be dealing directly or even, indirectly, with glass. Hope this helps. Wink