FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

COnstructing an OS from nothing...

magesh_lalla
Can someone help me out in constructing my own operating system.. a small one.. kindly give your suggestions..
joetheprogrammer
LOL.

There's no easy way of doing it. You have to be an experienced programmer to do little more than an operating system which prints "hello world" on the screen. Operating systems like Vista were created by no less than 2000 professional programmers.

Go spend like 2 or 3 years learning C and some Assembly and then maybe you'll have a chance of making a "little" (and by that I mean very little) OS.
Arno v. Lumig
Or reuse the unix kernel or linux kernel...
Animal
magesh_lalla wrote:
Can someone help me out in constructing my own operating system.. a small one.. kindly give your suggestions..

Perhaps this thread will be of some interest to you.
MrBlueSky
Also, read this book:

http://vig.prenhall.com/catalog/academic/product/0,1144,0131429388-TOC,00.html

It covers everything you need to know about creating a small OS, using Minix as an example. It doesn't help you create your own OS step by step and it requires prior experience with programming and good knowledge of OS internals (preferarbly Unix-like), but it will help you understand the problems you will run into when you are going to create your own OS and the possible solutions. It comes with exercises which let you alter the Minix-OS source to implement new features and other modifications.
teko
you also might check out the following link:

http://linuxgazette.net/issue77/krishnakumar.html

Its titled "how to build a toy OS" and consists of three parts
evilryu530
sweet build one, i'll use it.
ltwomba
MrBlueSky wrote:
Also, read this book:

http://vig.prenhall.com/catalog/academic/product/0,1144,0131429388-TOC,00.html

It covers everything you need to know about creating a small OS, using Minix as an example. It doesn't help you create your own OS step by step and it requires prior experience with programming and good knowledge of OS internals (preferarbly Unix-like), but it will help you understand the problems you will run into when you are going to create your own OS and the possible solutions. It comes with exercises which let you alter the Minix-OS source to implement new features and other modifications.

definitely that's the best option. this book is awesome. i'm half way through it and it's such an interesting reading. also, you should have a very solid c/c++ and assembly before going on an os.
magesh_lalla
thank u guys.. am going throu the book
Shirish
Hey magnesh lalla

I have created my forum on Creating new Operating System
Just join it and you wil get to know about designing one urself surely.
teko
Hi Shirish,

can you send on the link to your forum?

Thanks
Shirish
http://www.frihost.com/forums/vt-5033.html
ya thats the link
just check out the one regarding OS Development
Author:Shirish
I have only single forum in this community..
evilspider
I was wondering if anyone has a link to a tut that might explain on how i could get started on making a small filing system in c++. I add it to one of my main projects i have this year. VOIP beging one of them!!
Shirish
hey evilspider

what kinda file system you want to design..
I mean for what purpose.. Like multimedia, database or other specific purposes or a general one.

You can join the link above for increading your knowledge in respect of OS Design.
Wish4Me
Quote:
"Can someone help me out in constructing my own operating system.. a small one.. kindly give your suggestions.."

Why exactly would you want to make you own OS?

Quote:
"Can someone help me out in constructing my own operating system.. a small one.. kindly give your suggestions.."

LOL, 150 people work on Apple OS, which strait up owns Windows. And even less at most linux companies.
teko
Shirish wrote:
http://www.frihost.com/forums/vt-5033.html
ya thats the link
just check out the one regarding OS Development
Author:Shirish
I have only single forum in this community..

thanks for that, hopefully will make good reading!
turbowolf
Certainly OS development is a difficult task. But it's not so hard as the early days. It's really hard to develop a toy OS when Linus write his first one kernel. It becomes easier now. Because we have a lot of mature system to study and a lot of good tools to use.

1. You can study minix. Linus writed his initial linux when he finished studying minix. You also can accomplish it. The source codes are heavily commented, so it's easy to study. But on the other hand, It's academic so that it's far from normal OS we use today.

2. You can study linux. But the modern linux is too big for you to study. But you can study its initial version. Please refer to www.oldlinux.org. You can find source codes of linux 1.1. You can also find a good tutorial guide you though the source codes.

3. Other open source operation systems is a choice. e.g. MenuetOS and Sky OS. They are real toy operation systems. But unfornately their codes lack of comments.

4. Boches is a good emunator and debugger for your development.

magesh_lalla wrote:
seinteligente
magesh_lalla wrote:

Why don't you do a custom XP ? with the WPI ( windows post instalation tool ) and those unnatended edition software you can make a good OS...
{name here}
seinteligente wrote:
magesh_lalla wrote:

Why don't you do a custom XP ? with the WPI ( windows post instalation tool ) and those unnatended edition software you can make a good OS...

That would be something that would break the EULA, I'd imagine.

Well, if you want to really be unique, you could do what I'm trying to do and use Gary Kildall's old CP/M operating system to implement something, but that's a bit of a challenge since the code was written in the 80s, much of it in a programming language that no modern compilers exist(the first version was made entirely in PL/M, though more of it was assembly later in the compiler's life), which is where I'm starting using some FORTRAN source translated into C to make a compiler to compile the stuff.

http://cpm.z80.de/ it is legal to download any of the Digital Research source code and modify as long as you don't use it for commercial purposes according to both the former Caldera license and the Lineo license of the source code.
indeedwrestling
Buy an Apple //e. That's the best place to start.