FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

What have YOU done?

tijn01
What in your life have you done to help someone or something less fortunate to you?
Do you drop coins in beggars hats?
Or is it all too political to try and do the right thing?

Recently when I moved to a new town I tried to start volunteerin, it has taken months to be actually able to see people and talk to them. I had to fill in paperwork, sign consent forms, get police clearances.... It seems helping people has become harder than ever!
What do you think?
darknight985
What have I done with my life? Well during major holidays my family and I do Meals on Wheels. We deliver holiday food to the elderly that can't get out of their house to get food. But the only other thing that I do is donate my old clothes and stuff to Goodwill.

Oh and you know those salvation army guys that ring the bells asking for donations? When its cold enough to wear a jacket, I buy them coffee. But yeah... volenteering doesn't take that much paperwork for me atleast.
standready
I put togetther a computer for a family that one parent has cancer and no money coming in. The kids needed the computer for school work.
RhysAndrews
Quote:
1"Be especially careful when you are trying to be good so that you don't make a performance out of it. It might be good theater, but the God who made you won't be applauding. 2-4"When you do something for someone else, don't call attention to yourself. You've seen them in action, I'm sure - 'playactors' I call them - treating prayer meeting and street corner alike as a stage, acting compassionate as long as someone is watching, playing to the crowds. They get applause, true, but that's all they get. When you help someone out, don't think about how it looks. Just do it - quietly and unobtrusively. That is the way your God, who conceived you in love, working behind the scenes, helps you out.
So, no comment.

-Rhys
T3k-Ni9e
I have given money to hospitals, not much but its something
varon
volunteerism is a good thing. i try to do at least one good deed a day (like giving alms, or helping out in the house -- it's the little things offered to God and done 100% out of love that matters, not the major ones done grudgingly; just a point to remember Smile). keep it up! may God bless you more. Smile
TruPain
I do anything I can to help people that are less fortuante than myself... sadly... that doesn't leave many people left (just kidding, Im not that bad)... but I do get a kick out of the people that are well off, that think they have more rights than everyone else...

I have given money, donated time, overall just been nice to a complete stranger...

but in todays society (at least in the US), it is getting harder and harder to do anything nice... you try and help someone, and say something doesn't go 100% the way it should have, and all of a sudden, you are getting sued because it was your fault that something went wrong and you put the other person or group in that predicument...
Babsta
Varon is right.. what matters more is the pure intention not the amount.
Well I've started helping my mom with the household... haha I know I should've been doing it anyway. I sometimes try to give alms when I have enough money... If not that I try to help others emotionally and all that. Well generally I try to help people in difficulties.
Razz Razz
Yantaal
im a vegan. so i am doing my bit for the animals and for the earth
eday2010
I don't give money to homeless and panhandlers because a lot of them arent actually homeless, they're just f*cking lazy and dont want to work a real job. So I give to no one. If I want to help the homeless, I'll give to the Salvation Army or Goodwill.
Vrythramax
I script in PERL, code in html...dhtml...and xhtml (also some php and software installs) for free for those who can't.

I also locked this topic Razz

-locked-