FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Win A Domain ..... The Best FriHost Website Edition

Which site should recieve their free domain?
www.funworld.frih.net - nominated by saratdear
16%
 16%  [ 3 ]
www.pashmina.frih.net - nominated by pashmina
5%
 5%  [ 1 ]
www.stb.frih.net - nominated by Drago
5%
 5%  [ 1 ]
www.boffelproduction.frih.net - nominated by Animal
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
www.dacp.dz9c.frih.net - nominated by Animal
27%
 27%  [ 5 ]
www.myjourneythroughrunescape.frih.net - nominated by Animal
11%
 11%  [ 2 ]
www.petspots.frih.net - nominated by Animal
5%
 5%  [ 1 ]
www.samisaada.frihost.net - nominated by Animal
5%
 5%  [ 1 ]
www.aphroditeallure.frih.net - nominated by Wumingsden
11%
 11%  [ 2 ]
www.aphroditeallure.frih.net - nominated by Wumingsden
11%
 11%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 18

wumingsden

There seems to be more domains posted now, which is cool seen as it looks like people have updated there posts. For this reason, I will open a poll. I know that in my first post I said that a reason has to be given, but this competition has gone on way too long. A poll is much more simple.

The closing date has once again passed, and seen as there are a number of sites a poll has now been open. Feel free to vote. It will close at 9PM GMT on Saturday 3rd March 9PM

Note: I am sometimes a perfectionist, which is the reason why I have made this thread more easy-reading, and removed all replies seen as they all contained questions, which have now been merged into this re-written post.

Hi, FriHost members, and welcome to "Win A Domain .... The Best FriHost Website Edition". I guess the title says it all ...

Win A Domain .... The Best FriHost Website Edition

OK, so how does this competion work, I hear you ask.

*How do you win a domain?

1. Your website has to be recommended, by anyone, which is part1 of the competition. (stage ends at 9pm GTM on the Tenth of February)

2. All recommend sites will then be put into a list, and members vote for the site that they think is the best, which is part2 of the competition. The site with most votes wins their own domain, simple.

*Can any site be recommended?

No, not all sites can be recommended ...

1. The recommended site must be hosted at FriHost ....
    1. .... therefore the sites must follow the Terms of Service
    2. .... and the recommended site must have a xxxxx.frihost.net or xxxxx.frih.net extension.

2. The site must be complete, or near completed. If signs like "Under Construction" is needed, then it's fair to say that the site won't be finished for a while, and therefore these sites will not be accepted.
  3. Sites that consits of just a forum/a blog, etc, can be recommend. Whether they win or not is decided by the frihost users.

4. You CAN recommend your own website.

*How do I recommend a site?

Recommending a site is pretty simple. If you already know of a deserving frihost-hosted site which has no domain then simply add the URL of the site in your reply.
However, if possible, please also include the member that the site belongs to. A good place to find frihost sites is the directory

Please note that you can recommend an umlimited amount of sites.

*How do I vote for a site?

When all of the recommendations have been made, I will create a post which lists all of the website name/url's, website authors, and the member that originally recommended it (this will be important for a surprise I have for later in this competition Shhh)
If you wish to vote for a site, simply refer to it's number ID and the reason why you have voted for it.

***Please note that a reason is needed and reasons like "It'z da best 'coz it'z mi m8's site, innit" will also not be considered - be in-depth as possible as to why this site deserves it the most. Also note that at the voting stage you cannot vote for your frihost-hosted website and you can only vote once

*So, when does the competition close again?

Part1 of the competion is planned to close at 9pm GMT on Saturday the 10th of February (entried after this time will not be considered).

Part2 of the competion is planned to close at 9pm GMT on Saturday the 24th of February.

*Do I have legal rights over the domain?

I am planning on registering the domains at namecheap.com. I wish to do this here because it has WhoIs protection, therefore nobody will know my name/address/phone no./etc. This however means that it costs a little more, which I'm not particularly bothered about. It also means that I will have full control of the domain, and legally own it by law, although if you register an account at namecheap I will give you certain privilages to manage your won domain. If you have issues concerning this, I'm sure we can come to some sort of argreement. It may mean that I register the domain at a different place using false information. A benefit of this for me is that it is much cheaper, for you, you will have complete control over the domain. There is however a downside for you ...

*How will the domain be renewed?

The domain will be registered for one year. If you get full control of the domain then I will definitly not renew it.
If however I still own the domain by law then may renew it for you, depending on whether it would be benefitial to me. If I decide not to renew it, I will release the domain over to you before the expiry date arrives (note that this requires you to have a account at namecheap)

*Is the domain completely free to use?

As long as you stick to the rules of the frihost forums/TOS agreement everything should be fine. However, if for some reason your hosting is stopped, you will not be allowed to use the domain (if it is the case that the domain is legally owned by me anymore. We may however be able to come to an agreement on this.

A link/some kind of acknowledgement on your site about me paying for your domain would be nice, but is not needed.

*How many domains are available for this competition?

Currently one domain is up for grabs. This will probably increase if this threads becomes popular however.
There is one special gift for the member thqat recommends the winning site, also.

*Additional Important Notes/User Questions:

You do NOT receive hosting with the prize, only a domain. Therefore, this means that because the domain has to be used at frihost, you can use it to create unlimited subdomains, and unlimited email addresses.

This thread is NOW open.

Hopefully, Every month, I will open up a contest for FriHost members to win their own domain name. These competitions will vary from month-2-month. This is the first competition: "The Best FriHost Website Edition" edition. There are a number of other ideas I have for future competitions, but if you have one feel free to PM Me It

Please post the website('s) you recommend (it has to have a .frihost.net or .frih.net domain extension). Also include the member's name that it belongs to (if you know it). No reason is needed.

The competition is set to close at 9pm GTM on Saturday 10th February 2007

**Thanks to LukeakaDanish for the image**
LukeakaDanish
Ok...seen as my page is heavily under construction, I recommend:

http://www.donutey.frihost.net/

...as the best .frihost or .frih site...(and one of the only sites I remember visiting)...

It's full of nice techy stuff/guides/reviews/links...and also looks reasonably good!
saratdear
I recommend :-

www.funworld.frih.net It is by Tamilparks, as far as I know.
www.notjustfootball.frih.net It is by Gamefreak

I hope I can edit my posts to add new ones.
wumingsden
Yes, you can.
pashmina
http://pashmina.frih.net
the site will be finished by 9th February
wumingsden please check my site on 9th February by which time it will be completely finished.
thank you
Drago
I dont think you are allowed to submit your own site or I would have a longtime ago.
LukeakaDanish
wumingsden wrote:

You CAN recommend your own website.

I think it is reasonable to say you CAN recommend your own website. Mr. Green
LostOverThere
Seems a great Deal!

I was going to recommended http://www.donutey.frihost.net/ but someone got there before me.
Drago
Oopsie.....I misread the rules. I guess I will recommend http://www.stb.frih.net. This is a great site thats building quick for being open a short time. Cool
Donutey
LukeakaDanish wrote:
Ok...seen as my page is heavily under construction, I recommend:

http://www.donutey.frihost.net/

...as the best .frihost or .frih site...(and one of the only sites I remember visiting)...

It's full of nice techy stuff/guides/reviews/links...and also looks reasonably good!

Thanks lukeakadanish, I wouldn't have even noticed this thread except for the "Links from an external page" thing in awstats, however I already have a domain: http://donutey.com. But, if anyone would like to help me setup a proper redirect from donutey.frihost.net to donutey.com it would be much appreciated. Rolling Eyes
Star Wars Fanatic
That would be easy, just use a header redirect, oh and (I know I am getting off topic, sorry) if you view the page in IE, you have that FireFox ad, but when viewing it FF, it is totally messed up, just to let you know, you probably shouldn't advertise for FF until your site is complient with both browsers...
Donutey
http://webbie.zach.frih.net/index.php

I would have said the above site, as it was pretty impressive (content wise, with a decent design) when it was first put up, but it looks like he's stopped updating it.

[edit]

The site mentions webbie.com, but the domain isn't in use (spamsite).
wumingsden
Maybe you'd prefer to take up the off-topic conversation via the PM function?
Blaster
www.gurdit.com
pashmina
Blaster wrote:
www.gurdit.com

its not allowed
Quote:
The recommended site must be hosted at FriHost ....

1. .... therefore the sites must follow the Terms of Service
2. .... and the recommended site must have a xxxxx.frihost.net or xxxxx.frih.net extension.
whoamifooling
http://tyler.frih.net (done)
This is a fansite for the musician/actor Tyler Kyte.
Pages will be up within a week :]

I stopped working on DontGiveUp.frih.net, I need to focus on one site.
HalfBloodPrince
@whoamifooling:

wumingsden wrote:
wumingsden
HalfBloodPrince wrote:
@whoamifooling:

wumingsden wrote:

I'm aware that i did not close the compeition. This is because there seems to be no interest in it, which i find slightly weird. I think it may be because it's me, but some people like me, most people hate me Rolling Eyes If there is no more generated insterest then everyone, including late posters, that have recommended a website that fits the rules, will recieve their own domain. however, if this does happen, i will not open up another competition like this.

The set date was the above, but it has been extended to 9pm GTM on Saturday 17th February 2007
Animal
I'd like to make a few submissions, if I may Wink

1. Boffel Production:
http://www.boffelproduction.frih.net/
This site is very focused on its main aim - creating and distributing a computer game. I think the dedication to the cause is extremely good, and every good game-maker needs a TLD! The site is simple, clear and easy to navigate.

2. Dark Ages Castle Project:
http://dz9c.frih.net/
I like the site itself. It's simply laid out, easy to navigate, yet has some advanced design features that I really like. It's also an interesting topic, and is quite different to anything else I've seen on Frihost.

3. My Journey Through Runescape:
http://myjourneythroughrunescape.frih.net/
The site layout and colour schemes are really nice. It makes a nice visual impact on the visitors, and has a good amount of useful content.

4. PetSpots
http://petspots.frih.net/
A really well-laid out site that looks great and has some good information on it. The author has clearly spent a good amount of time creating this site, and all the effort shines through.

Last, but not least:
5. Sami Saada's Website
http://samisaada.frihost.net/
The site is very clear, concise and easy to navigate. The author has also spent a lot of time making sure the site is compliant to web standards making it accessible to everyone (even with disabilities) and generally sets a good example to other webmasters. Since it's a personal site, I think it's also very deserving of its own TLD.

So, these are my nominations (for now at least) and I'm not going to tell you which is my favourite. I'll leave that to wummingsden to decide Wink
vignesh_natraj
i recommend http://coimbatore.frih.net/dir/
thanks
whoamifooling
wumingsden wrote:
HalfBloodPrince wrote:
@whoamifooling:

wumingsden wrote:

I'm aware that i did not close the compeition. This is because there seems to be no interest in it, which i find slightly weird. I think it may be because it's me, but some people like me, most people hate me Rolling Eyes If there is no more generated insterest then everyone, including late posters, that have recommended a website that fits the rules, will recieve their own domain. however, if this does happen, i will not open up another competition like this.

The set date was the above, but it has been extended to 9pm GTM on Saturday 17th February 2007

I like you. You seem pretty cool. Those other people don't know anything. But why would they hate you?

So every poster on here will recieve a domain? If so, how will the get it?

BTW- THANKS!!! So much for this opportunity.
wumingsden
whoamifooling wrote:
wumingsden wrote:
HalfBloodPrince wrote:
@whoamifooling:

wumingsden wrote:

I like you. You seem pretty cool. Those other people don't know anything. But why would they hate you?

I don't know, but some members think it's rather amusing to add me via MSN and then abuse me. How they got my email address in the first place is unknow, but I have my suspicions as to how and why they do it. I'm glad is limited to a set number though, and seen as I have now blocked/removed everyone from my list I don't care. I blame their lack of maturity. I did create a thread about this mail publicly, and kept an updated "named and shamed" list of members, which was rightly removed (it was extremely unprofessional of me, I know now (although this doesn't mean that they didn't deserve it)).

whoamifooling wrote:

There seems to be more domains posted now, which is cool seen as it looks like people have updated there posts. For this reason, I will open a poll. I know that in my first post I said that a reason has to be given, but this competition has gone on way too long. A poll is much more simple.

The closing date has once again passed, and seen as there are a number of sites a poll has now been open. Feel free to vote. It will close at 9PM GMT on Saturday 3rd March 9PM

They'll get their domain once the winner is announced. Through PM, they can choose what they would like (and i'll probably let them choose the domain registrant too).

I recommend www.aphroditeallure.frih.net - the sitemistress it an excellent artist and deserves a domain if they wish to have one.
tamilparks
Thanks a lot to saratdear....... for submitting my webpage to the free domian
whoamifooling
wumingsden wrote:
whoamifooling wrote:
wumingsden wrote:
HalfBloodPrince wrote:
@whoamifooling:

wumingsden wrote:

I don't know, but some members think it's rather amusing to add me via MSN and then abuse me. How they got my email address in the first place is unknow, but I have my suspicions as to how and why they do it. I'm glad is limited to a set number though, and seen as I have now blocked/removed everyone from my list I don't care. I blame their lack of maturity. I did create a thread about this mail publicly, and kept an updated "named and shamed" list of members, which was rightly removed (it was extremely unprofessional of me, I know now (although this doesn't mean that they didn't deserve it)).

whoamifooling wrote:

They'll get their domain once the winner is announced. Through PM, they can choose what they would like (and i'll probably let them choose the domain registrant too).

I recommend www.aphroditeallure.frih.net - the sitemistress it an excellent artist and deserves a domain if they wish to have one.

Sorry about the email thing. People are truely immature and they have no life, if they do that.
Kelvin
Was looking through my hit counter referral links and I came across this topic link. Thanks Animal for suggesting my site. Very Happy
SamiTheBerber
Thanks Animal for suggesting my site.

Alexa shows that my site was in 20th place, where people go in frihost.net.
MYP415
edit: I don't think I can enter because my site already has a domain (the frihost.net domain redirects to it), sorry for wasting a post
GameFreak
I know my site has 3 votes which is a lot (notjustfootball.frih.net) but just so that if it wins you don't waste a domain, I want to withdraw from this contest.
So, please don't vote for me and do remove my site from the poll. I do not want the site anyway. I requested my account to be deleted but it wasn't.

Thanks
wumingsden
GameFreak wrote:
I know my site has 3 votes which is a lot (notjustfootball.frih.net) but just so that if it wins you don't waste a domain, I want to withdraw from this contest.
So, please don't vote for me and do remove my site from the poll. I do not want the site anyway. I requested my account to be deleted but it wasn't.

Thanks

-removed from poll-
dz9c
NOTE!
i have edited my site, DZ9C.FRIH.NET
it is now a site with links to a couple of sites i have made in the past and have continued to update...
but know that the site that animal posted, DARK AGES CASTLE PROJECT, is still there! its just been moved to a subdomain under my account. u can get to it by dz9c.frih.net if you want to do that too. but the actual domain is:
http://dacp.dz9c.frih.net

dz9c.frih.net is now like the website of my websites. my subwebsites, if you will, are now just subdomains and my main URL (dz9c.frih.net) simply links to them. im sorry if i wasnt supposed to change this i forgot i was even in this poll.

let me know what your gonna do with this... thank you
wumingsden
dz9c wrote:
NOTE!
i have edited my site, DZ9C.FRIH.NET
it is now a site with links to a couple of sites i have made in the past and have continued to update...
but know that the site that animal posted, DARK AGES CASTLE PROJECT, is still there! its just been moved to a subdomain under my account. u can get to it by dz9c.frih.net if you want to do that too. but the actual domain is:
http://dacp.dz9c.frih.net

dz9c.frih.net is now like the website of my websites. my subwebsites, if you will, are now just subdomains and my main URL (dz9c.frih.net) simply links to them. im sorry if i wasnt supposed to change this i forgot i was even in this poll.

let me know what your gonna do with this... thank you

Poll edited to reflect this.

*Note - the poll is supposed to close tomorrow.
dz9c
wait wut time today does this end?
wumingsden
dz9c wrote:
wait wut time today does this end?

Ooops. This thread is now -locked-. Sorry for the delay, I was out partying, so as you can imagine, this thred completely slipped my mind.

The winner of competition is dz9c and their website www.dacp.dz9c.frih.net, with 5 votes. They will be contacted shortly.
If they do not want the domain, then it will pass on to tamilparks and their website www.funworld.frih.net, which recieved second best votes.

Update:

dz9c did accept their domain, and I have registered the domain www.dz9c.com for him.

If there is any interest in another "Win A Domain" competition then I will open one, if there's no expressed interest then I won't bother.
Note the this competition has a few loose ends still, and I will update this thread about them in the next few days.