FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Forum

mathiaus
Hi,

just wondering if any programmers out there would be interested in a joint project to create a new forum?

Nothing posh or fancy mind. Just nice and simple and the more people that contribute the better it will be. An alternative to PHPBB, SMF or a paid forum.

Could be unique to Frihost! Wink

Matt Smile
kv
Why create a new forum when there are so many open source ones lying around? The phrase "reinventing the wheel" is there for a reason.
bdoneck
Because some people get bored, want to try and test what they can do with their programming skills. Or even want to try and cread the best forum system out there and become famous, or make money or anything.

I would help but I'm currently worrking on 3 big projects Very Happy
blackant
Or wait for the next new release of phpbb2. Razz
It looks very promising. Smile
simplyw00x
Quote:
Why create a new forum when there are so many open source ones lying around? The phrase "reinventing the wheel" is there for a reason.

Because in doing so you can learn a lot more about the mechanics of phBB etc. than just by using them. Also, a custom-made forum looks more professional and is more customisable. Also, all major forums at the mo' use ugly table-based layouts, which suck.

Back on topic, yeah I'm in. I do PHP, CSS, HTML, mySQL and have successfully built a working CMS, complete with user system. This should be an intersting project.
mathiaus
wow. At least theres interest then. some more constructive though Smile

Anyone not interested in coding or the such could come up with some ideas of things to include or something. What they like from other forums and what they dont like from others!

@simplyw00x: Thats great. Like the sound of your cms. Sounds good. I've only ever done small things before so this is quite new and different for me. Hopefully (i'm sure it will be) a big challenge Laughing
snowboardalliance
simplyw00x wrote:
Also, all major forums at the mo' use ugly table-based layouts, which suck.

I agree, but that's why you can make your own template. There are a few CSS templates available on phpBB.

but on-topic I can't help because I'm really new to php and don't have the time to work on a project.
simplyw00x
Quote:
I agree, but that's why you can make your own template. There are a few CSS templates available on phpBB.

...which aren't the default, are relatively new, no-one uses and no-one bases their own layouts off.

But yes, this could be a fun project. Just let me know when you want me to actually start doing stuff.
mathiaus
Im in now way in charge. I was just suggesting and wanting to take part.
We also need to know what to do first. I assume were coding in php and using mysql database.#so we'll need for a basic forum

some form of user system (with different levels?)
categories ans subcategories
topics and posts

then other stuff like smilies, bbcode, permission masks etc
simplyw00x
DEIGN BRIEF:
FRIHOST FORUM

AIM: To create a forum similar to existing forums available, but with the requirements detailled below. Programming languages will be HTML, CSS and PHP. Database will be mySQL (see below). Project source will be freely available as long as it is not sold or incorporated into commercial products (GNU GPL)

REQUIREMENTS:
USERS:
Ability to sign up
Multiple user levels - mods, admins etc.
Usergroups
User profiles
By-user settings: themes, avatar, custom title, signature, time format etc.
Banning of users
Warning system
Private messages
IP logging

FORUMS:
Different forums
Ability to start new topics in forums
Ability to restrict which forums users can start topics in
Private group forums
Forum index/front page
Different organisation methods of display:

• Thread, by date
  • Thread, by last post
  • Thread, by views
  • Post, by date

POSTING:
Ability to edit posts
Ability to delete own posts
Implementation of BBCode
Ability to add new BBCode tags easily
E-mail notification of replies and PMs
Polls

GLOBAL:
All features must be easily added/removed, to allow simple scaling
Portable user authentication system to facilitate integration with CMS
All features must be plugins (i.e. separated from main file)
Hence, main file should just provide a framework for loading and managing plugins.

//Explaination: I'm sick of forum systems where it's an absolute chore to turn something off/add something. This should be made easier by making every aspect of the system clearly defined and easily editable and manageable//

DISPLAY:
Fully WC3 compliant XHTML and CSS, as little Javascript as possible, no tables
Themes (seperate theme stylesheet, user selectable)

CODING:
Error and warning-free PHP
Clean, well-commented source code
mySQL tables, but option to use flat files instead.

Quote:
I was just suggesting and wanting to take part.

Ditto here. Having said that, any-one interested, PM me. We can work out who's going to be organising (NOT me) once we've got a few people to do this, as it could be quite a job. The above spec is utterly flexible, and feel free to disagree/add anything you want.

I'm in Nofolk (YAAAY!! Wink) from tomorrow evening, but I'll post basic things like a basic layout and the mySQL tables in about a week, if there's interest.
snowboardalliance
Great ideas.

I'm just a beginner in php so I can't help but I do have an idea. I think you should use a permissions system like the new phpBB (Olympus). It's really customizable. Just a though though. (http://www.phpbbhacks.com/phpbb300/)
Aimewitue
that's just a great idea
i dream to code my own scripts but i'm just a beginner in programming
it's so bad :/
but i can contribute with any ideas if you want ^^
frozenhead
bdoneck wrote:
I would help but I'm currently worrking on 3 big projects Very Happy

Oh well, i do want to participate too but i got 2 projects also at this moment.. Sad ...

I think we got a lot of BEAUTIFUL MINDS here ei!?...

This could be really fun!... Keep us posted.. Wink

Maybe... I can help... Idea
simplyw00x
snowboardalliance wrote:
Great ideas.

I'm just a beginner in php so I can't help but I do have an idea. I think you should use a permissions system like the new phpBB (Olympus). It's really customizable. Just a though though. (http://www.phpbbhacks.com/phpbb300/)

I'm all ears, but the link you provided doesn't describe this permissions system, and I can't see how it's different to vanilla phpBB. Maybe you could explain?
Grimboy
Also make sure to minimise the MySQL queries as much as possible because that would hammer the CPU. I like the idea of the modular system, because a lot of people don't use all of the features of a forum. I suck at web development but that is mainly because I hack stuff until I get something I don't understand then scour the internet for it. I really need a book on PHP.
ignition
This sounds like an awesome project...GL to all in.

I'd love to help, but the only language I know - besides HTML, if you call it a language - is Java (not javascript - that's completely different).

I tried learned PHP once, but never got past the customary "hello world" part.

Maybe if I pick up PHP again, I'll come back here to help Smile

Cheers!
Chris
charliehk
Interesting, someone think HTML is not a language. No If Then logic construct, no while repetitive construct, ...

Java is great! It's the only hope to battle with MS!
simplyw00x
Quote:
Interesting, someone think HTML is not a language. No If Then logic construct, no while repetitive construct, ...

Java is great! It's the only hope to battle with MS!

Thank you, Captain irrelevant....

To everyone worried that their PHP coding skills are not teh uber-1337, don't worry. All help appreciated, and we're not going to be doing anything revolutionary in terms of coding; it should all be simple stuff. Maybe some of you might want to take a peek at this site, which has several tutorials on PHP, and specifically PHP forums (they call them discussion boards).
BlackSkad
Are the people who were interested in such a project, still interested? If you are, check this link and this topic.
I hope you'll join me.
BlackSkad
z1k1
I could help you makin' the translation into spanish, and with ideas, for example, there is no forum I know completely translated, they always have some words or sentences in their native language...
Dj_SkAzI
wait for the next new release
BlackSkad
I'm sorry, but I'm afraid you could wait a very long time on the next/first release. In fact, no one is working on the forum anymore...
mathiaus
Why do spammers insist on digging up old topics when there is a newer announcement about it Rolling Eyes
http://www.frihost.com/forums/vt-8410.html
-close-