FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Networking question

pluto
I'm setting up my Linux box so I can access it from work. I had use the port forwarding option in my router configurations to direct the request to my Linux box. I have another computer on my local network running XP Home edition. By opening the port on my router to allow access to my Linux box, does this same open port allow access to my XP machine? My concern is unwanted visitors being able to use this open port for malicious reasons.

I would also like to know what risks I am susceptible to with an open port, and what measures I can take to prevent unwanted visitors and malicious attacks?

Thanks!
tomahawk19
pluto wrote:
I'm setting up my Linux box so I can access it from work. I had use the port forwarding option in my router configurations to direct the request to my Linux box. I have another computer on my local network running XP Home edition. By opening the port on my router to allow access to my Linux box, does this same open port allow access to my XP machine? My concern is unwanted visitors being able to use this open port for malicious reasons.

I would also like to know what risks I am susceptible to with an open port, and what measures I can take to prevent unwanted visitors and malicious attacks?

Thanks!

No it does not allow access to your XP box. Port forwarding only forwards to one machine/one IP address on the network, and therefore does not forward to the other one. One of the things you can do is make sure you have a firewall that will block unused ports. If you are leaving it open to connect to, and leaving it open for access...then there's really nothing you can do about the security there because if you need it open for access, then it will have to be open for access to others, unless you find a way to secure the port and access using a combination of your firewall, and password protection. I did it for my laptop several years ago, let me see if I can remember how to do it, a lot of it has to do with what you're running for access.
pluto
I appreciate the explanation you gave, it now makes sense!

Thank you. Very Happy
pluto
I now have a new issue I am trying to figure out a solution to: I cannot access my home computer from work due to corporate firewall. I thought I heard of a website that acts as a 3rd party, making the connection between the work PC and the home PC, but I cannot remember what the name of the site is. Does anyone know of such a website that will allow me to do what I'm describing for free?

Regarding my previous post
Quote:

I used a web based program called Shields UP https://www.grc.com/x/ne.dll?bh0bkyd2 that scans ports for vulnerabilities. When running this on my XP machine (the port on my router is open, but forwarded to another machine, not the XP machine), I was told that I am vulnerable because my port is open. Can anyone explain what might be happening?

Finally, any recommendations on how to add a password layer of security to the open port? What I envision is if someone tries to access the open port, they must first enter a password to proceed.

Thanks for the help!
qscomputing
Which port?
pluto
I still have not figured this one out. Does anyone have any ideas on how I can access my home PC from work by getting around the corporate firewall?

Thanks for the help.
redice
You need to config a DNAT service on your router. For example, you want to access SSH to your linux box, and access http to your windows box. Add a policy to map TCP port 22 to local linux box's IP address on TCP port 22 map TCP 80 to your local windows box's ip on TCP port 80.
pluto
Thanks for the response. When I have a moment, I will give this a try.