FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Driver's License

Wynand
Today I got my learners driver's license. – And what a process it was. I live in South Africa and I want to explain the agony I had to go through to get my learners drivers license.
If you want a driver’s license this is the steps you have to follow.
1. Make an appointment for a learners license and Pay R90
2. Go and write the test and pay R35
3. Make an appointment for your license. R90
4. Go and do the test and pay R150
These seem easy but wait until you see the centre where you have to do all of the above steps. You stand in lines for hours and hours and the people that work there do not seem to have any communication organs. They just make noises from their lungs when you ask them questions.
To get to point where I am now it took me 4 Months and I am now at step 2.
What do you have to do in your country?
bluefossil
do you even need a driver license to drive in south africa? I thought most people drive without one? No one really check
Aless
SA is a commonwealth country, so it's similarly torturous in the UK. I don't look forward to switching my license over in the future, because it's such an insane hassle compared to the US! It took my boyfriend FIVE tries to pass his test - those people are evil!
Scorpio
Wynand wrote:
Today I got my learners driver's license. – And what a process it was. I live in South Africa and I want to explain the agony I had to go through to get my learners drivers license.
If you want a driver’s license this is the steps you have to follow.
1. Make an appointment for a learners license and Pay R90
2. Go and write the test and pay R35
3. Make an appointment for your license. R90
4. Go and do the test and pay R150
These seem easy but wait until you see the centre where you have to do all of the above steps. You stand in lines for hours and hours and the people that work there do not seem to have any communication organs. They just make noises from their lungs when you ask them questions.
To get to point where I am now it took me 4 Months and I am now at step 2.
What do you have to do in your country?

Well, If I weren't sorry for the trouble you had to go through, I'd be laughing right now, thinking how easy it is to get a darned license here.

All I had to do was this,

1. I paid around 30 Rand (equivalent) and got myself an application form.
2. Filled it and gave it to the officer. He signed it and I got myself a Learner's licence for a month(Didn't even check my credentials, age proof and all that stuff)
3. I then went back to the Transport office a month later with my vehicle. The guy didnt even watch me drive. he signed and gave me the license in 30 seconds flat.
4. I got my license and returned home.

Very Happy
xorcist
Wow in Florida you have to take a 4 Hour Drug Course and then you take the Road Rules and Road Signs Test and you get your Learners License I forgot how much you have to pay for that but its not expensive. After you have to wait 1 year if you are under 18 to get your License, or if you are over 18 just get it the same day. When you getting your licence youu have to take the driving course and pass it and then you get your License.
Davidgr1200
Don't forget, a driver's licence is supposed to show that you are able to drive. It is not a right as some people seem to think. When you are out driving you have control (hopefully) over one ton of metal moving at high speed. Cars are lethal weapons (just check the number of people killed by them every year) and a driving test should be thorough.
mgx_virtual
In Yugoslavia, the procedure is the following:

1. Take the medical exam, whcih consists of: psychologist, neuro-psychiatrist, oftamologist, and general practice doctor. Cost around 2000din ($32)

2. Go to a driving school, and drive 40 lessons, 45 minutes long. First five are on special training area, after which you get the right to go on the street. Then you drive another five, at rate 1class/day maximum. After the 10th lesson you are allowed to drive double classes to speed up the process. The driving school is usually around 20,000 dinars, which is around $320.

3. Take the written test. If passed you go on, if failed you have to re-sit it. First try included in driving school price.

4. Take the driving test. First try also included in school price.

5. If passed both, you get a certificate, with which you go to the nearest police station, to get driving licence. If you need International licence also, you go to Automotive Union with your valid driving licence, and ID.
Administrative taxes: around 1200dinars ($20) plus another 600 ($10) for international driving licence.
Soulfire
Correct me if I am wrong, but in the U.S., it can differ from state to state. Basically, here was my process:

1) I signed up (through the high school) to take Segment I of a driving course. This cost me roughly $70 (the school paid the rest). It consisted of X hours (can't remember) of class time, X hours driving on a range (parking lot with cones), and a few trips to the road.

I took the state-mandated driver's test, I got a 98% on it. (The cost of the test was figured into the $70 for the class).

After completing Segment I, I got a permit and could drive with my parents in the car. In Michigan, you must be 14 years old and 9 months to take Segment I.

2) After 6 months of having the permit, you are eligible to take Segment II. Segment II was alcohol-focused, and consisted of only class time. It cost around $45.

After completion of Segment II, I got a slip that said I was ready to take my road test.

3) I finally turn 16 and I took my road test. I made one mistake (in Michigan you can make up to 25 before you fail), I went 33 MPH in a 30 MPH zone. I got my certificate of completion to get a license.

4) I stopped in the Secretary of State, got my picture taken, and got a temporary license.

5) My photo license arrived in the mail 2 weeks later, and I can drive.

Michigan is on a GDL or Graduated Driver's License program, so at 16 the only restriction I have is that I am unable to drive between midnight and 5 am unless going to or from work.

When I turn 17, that restriction is removed, and I get total freedom.

At 21, a horizontal license is mailed to me, which makes it easier for people to identify you as 21 or older (mainly to buy alcohol or if pulled over by police).

Fairly easy, slightly expensive, and the process takes about 1 year and 3 months before you're driving alone, longer for all the restrictions to be removed.
lady_yavanna
i do believe theres different procedures u hav 2 go thru 4 each state of Australia, but in NSW u hav 2:

1. get an application form, fill it in and (i think) have sum proof of ID eg birth certificate.
2. book an appointment 2 do a computerised test.
3. do test. if u pass, u get ur photo taken, pay AUD$16 4 the actual licence and get sum highly fashionable ( Rolling Eyes ) yellow plates with a big black "L" on em. if u dont pass u still hav 2 pay the test fee (cant remember how much tho).
quite simple compared 2 sum others it seems...
Aless
I did the easy way - through the parents! From TX: signed up for a learner's permit. Got the coursework for Mom to teach me & sign off on. After X number of hours of learning & me turning 16, I could take the test. Failed it the first time, but after a week or so, I passed with flying colors. Easy-peasy.
ThornsOfSorrow
I know how you feel when it comes to standing in line to get your license. The DMV (Department of Motor Vehicles) centers in Connecticut are just as you described where you were. I think it took me over 2 hours (although it may have been more like 3) to take my written test, sit for a while, take the road test, sit again, get a picture taken for my license, sit for a third time, and then finally get the stupid license. Anyway, here is the general process in Connecticut:

-First I needed to take a short test for my learner's permit. That allowed my to drive with a parent in the car, as long as the parent was licensed. I believe I had to wait for 2 months before I could legally drive on the highway with my permit.
-After getting my permit, I started driving school. I needed 8 hours of on-road lessons, and something like 30+ hours of classroom lessons.
-Anyone who takes drivers' ed can take the license test after 6 months of having their permit (I think). People who don't take drivers' ed need to have their permit for longer.
-Then I signed up for my license test and was given a date which was very far away.
-When that date finally came, I needed to go to the DMV and follow the process of testing and waiting that I outlined above.
-Also, once I got my license, I couldn't have anyone else (besides family members over 21 who have had their license for at least 5 years) in my car until 6 months after I had my license.
ralphbefree
it seems as the world becomes full of more and more red tape there will be more and more restrictions placed on the young people of the world for them to enjoy what we have become to know as a priviledge. Basically it is a right for a person to be able to travel. the fact is that when you sign for your DL you are also signing your name to a very lengthy contract. Your life will never be the same again once you are held to this contract.
Seiji
Didn't take much to get my learners license here in the U.S. I had to pass the road sign written test and pass an eye exam. That was all besides the $20 fee.
frih
hey friends, i am abhi bharti and i live in India. in India you can easily get your driving license without giving any sort of tests by giving some bribe to the driving incharge. i paid rupees1000 to them to get my license without waiting in queues. if you ever come to india then you can get your license very easily.

all are invited to my country

regards
abhi Laughing
mstreet
It sounds similar to what we have to go through in Ontario. At least you don't have something called graduating licensing. One is restricted to certain driving times and areas ie major highways. Then you have to pass another test after being at that level for a year or two.
cvkien
in malaysia, we need to take lot of exam to have a driving license. we need to take color blind test, road's law test, then have to attend to road law class, engine class, then have to learn drive for 16 hours requirement by the goverment, then only can take the driving test. all prosedure takes around 1 month to complete.
Slick
procedures here in the uk are pretty simple, its just the amount of time you have to wait i.e. 3 months average wait for the written test then about 3 to 4 for the test, before all this theres the lessons of which your suppose to have approx 20 to 40 hours of!
standready
Seiji wrote:
Didn't take much to get my learners license here in the U.S. I had to pass the road sign written test and pass an eye exam. That was all besides the $20 fee.

Basically the same in my US state plus there is a "rules of the road" test.

However, with the way people drive, I think most get their license out of a "Cracker Jack" box. (cracker jack is a carmel popcorn candy that comes in a box with a surprise toy inside hence the license joke)
Archetype
In Canada, or at least Ontario, we have changed to the graduated licensing system in the past 8 years or so.

First - You get a G1 license. This consists of a $100 written test of two sections. 1 section is rules, and the others is signs. Pass that, and you can get your G1. You can take your G2 after exactly one year, or 8 months if you take a recognized driving school.

G1 stipulations are you cannot drive alone, and must have someone with a valid G license with at least 4 years experience in the passenger seat at all times. You can't have any other passengers, can't drive at night, can't booze it up. So basically, you can't do anything with it but practice.

Second - You get a G2. This consists of a road test which is included in the $100 of your G1 written test, so it's free in a sense. It's just a small road test, so after you pass that, you get your G2.

G2 stipulations are you can't drink. That's it. Much more freedom.

G test consists of a highway test. Pass that and you get your full G.

G stipulations are you must be below a certain BAC level.

I currently have my G2, and will be taking me G next March, probably.
cybernie
in the philippines it's a different process...

First, apply and pay for a Student Driver's License. This license will be given just in a couple of minutes. You can then drive but with a professional driver.

After a month, you can then upgrade it to Non-prof or professional license which will be renewed annually... Smile

Of course you need to pass the exams to be given by the Land Transportation Office..
babumuchhala
scorpio wrote:
Well, If I weren't sorry for the trouble you had to go through, I'd be laughing right now, thinking how easy it is to get a darned license here.

All I had to do was this,

1. I paid around 30 Rand (equivalent) and got myself an application form.
2. Filled it and gave it to the officer. He signed it and I got myself a Learner's licence for a month(Didn't even check my credentials, age proof and all that stuff)
3. I then went back to the Transport office a month later with my vehicle. The guy didnt even watch me drive. he signed and gave me the license in 30 seconds flat.
4. I got my license and returned home.

Very Happy
Well 30 Rands sound very cheap (converting at the rate of INR 6 per Rand thats 180 buck)

Damn lucky man, my agent charged me 500 bucks for my auto geared scooters one (well was 16 and thats what was available)

As for now I am 20 and need to get the liscense for Geared Bikes and Cars. Got the learners in abt 20 minutes, without agen and done with a fees of INR 30. Wondering how then, dad's friend got a job there Very Happy and that reminds me I need to get the Permanent one, or else that uncle will kill me for being so lazy Razz
Idoru
I think it's more complicated and more expensive here, in Sweden.

Let's say you wish to learn partlly by driving with a friend, family, etc, that has had a license at least 5 years.
Here's the deal:

1. Your at least 18 years old.
2. You and your friend take a course togeather.
3. You apply for a permit.
4. You learn to drive and learn the rules.
5. You take a theoretical test.
6. You take a practical test.
7. You take an other practical test on how to drive in the winter.
8. If you don't fail, wich most people do, it's time for photo and all that.

All this take some time and lots of paperwork. In the end the pricetag usually stops
at about 10000-15000 kr (about 1000-1500 $).

It's good to make sure that everyone driving knows the rules and what they're doing,
but the paperwork and cost for this is getting ridiculous. or?
Hunterseaker
In the Netherlands you have to do the following:

at the age of 17,5 you can get your theorie exam, when you pass, it will stay valid for half a year, after that you have to take the exam again.
At the age of 18 you can take driving lessons(avarage is about 30 lessons)
After that you can do your driving exam, when you pass you will get your license..
It will cost you: 1200 Euro = 1580.4 U.S. dollar.(and that is a lot of money)
ItsWesley
Slick wrote:
procedures here in the uk are pretty simple, its just the amount of time you have to wait i.e. 3 months average wait for the written test then about 3 to 4 for the test, before all this theres the lessons of which your suppose to have approx 20 to 40 hours of!

Jesus Crist man, where in Britain do you live! Here in hampshire it only takes 3 weeks of waiting for the theory and same for the practical. But the lessons are hella expensive though, I spent around £400 on lessons alone!
Archetype
Hunterseaker wrote:
In the Netherlands you have to do the following:

at the age of 17,5 you can get your theorie exam, when you pass, it will stay valid for half a year, after that you have to take the exam again.
At the age of 18 you can take driving lessons(avarage is about 30 lessons)
After that you can do your driving exam, when you pass you will get your license..
It will cost you: 1200 Euro = 1580.4 U.S. dollar.(and that is a lot of money)

$1,500?! Holy Hell that's expensive. All that just to drive. Your government must be loaded.
Slick
ItsWesley wrote:
Slick wrote:

Jesus Crist man, where in Britain do you live! Here in hampshire it only takes 3 weeks of waiting for the theory and same for the practical. But the lessons are hella expensive though, I spent around £400 on lessons alone!

im in essex - boy racer county Wink lol
squirrelmaster
in oklahoma you have to have 30 hours day driving and 10 hours night driving experience, and part of that is from a driver's education course.

I got my drivers ed from the high school, i payed nothing, i guess the school covered it. the course was mainly book work, i drove once a week for 11 weeks about 45 minutes long. when i got the permit I waited 3 hours in line and had to have my social security card, birth certificate and a paper that said i passed my 8th grade writing test. So I took the permit test and passed it (then if i was under 18 i would have to wait 6 months then take the drivers test), but i am 18 so i can get it now, i just don't have a car yet and i also want to make sure i will pass it Rolling Eyes

the learners permit was $35, $4 every time you fail, and then $35 for the actual licsence. the test center was at a national guard office, and i actually got the card made at the tag agency with the certificate from the test center, so no waiting for mailing, just 30 minutes to make it Wink

but also when you sign the form to get the licsense you are signed up for the selective service (draft).
shwetanshu
In India goto the trnasport office
Get the application form
fll it, give age proof, residence proof, photo id
give a test, gotta score 12/20.. if passed u get licence for 6 months, but u can apply for a permanent license after a minimum of a month, if failed gotta try after 1 more month

else

atch someone there, pay him bribi and sit back at home and wait for ur licence.. Laughing Laughing
sky217
I guess some things are universal. The DMV is costly, time consuming and long lines everywhere I've ever lived.
hofodomo01
speaking of which, I really need to work on getting mine...

but since many colleges don't let freshmen keep cars on campus, maybe I'll push it back till sophomore year... Confused
seanooi
About 3 years back, it took me about 4 months to get my drivers license.
It shouldn't have took that long but the people in charge were just too darn lazy to do anything. We had to
1. Find a qualified agent and sign up with them
2. Make an appointment to attend a 6 hour course which is only held on saturdays.
3. Then wait 2 weeks before u can take a written test
4. Wait another 2 weeks for the result then only take the driving test
5. Wait 3 to 4 weeks for the license.

My license took longer than usual which really pissed me off. But I'm glad I won't have to go through that process anymore now Very Happy
funnyerror
I should get one, Im old enough now, but im too lazy Razz
PatTheGreat42
To be honest, I don't really quite remember.

It just sorta happened. I'm not even sure I was there at the time.

The paperwork, I think was pretty meaningless.

The vending machines were nice, though, if a tad overpriced.

I'm still wondering what the elephant was there for... decoration? Maybe?

You know what's even funner? Getting a pilot's license.
Zruch
Soulfire wrote:
In Michigan, you must be 14 years old and 9 months to take Segment I.

You are lucky. Here in Kazakhstan you have to be 21 years old to be able to get driver licence... Actually, you can buy licence, but officially it's illegal.
exarkun
cvkien wrote:
in malaysia, we need to take lot of exam to have a driving license. we need to take color blind test, road's law test, then have to attend to road law class, engine class, then have to learn drive for 16 hours requirement by the goverment, then only can take the driving test. all prosedure takes around 1 month to complete.

Woo glad to see someone same as me.. i am currently applying for a Learner license but the person-in-charge said that as the system is upgrading.. it should take quite a while before I am able to obtain my "L" license. All our steps like taking the test, attending practical lesson is nicely arranged by the agencies, so all we have to do is to give them a call. Hope it will not take more than a month. Wink
squirrelmaster
Anyone ever try to get an international drivers license??
I saw an ad for it and was wondering if it was real and what qualifications you had to have.